Why Hasn't Anyone Capitalized on Harry Potter Yet?

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
Reading the news articles about the latest installment of Harry Pottermania, I'm left with one huge, obvious question that I have no answer to.

Why the hell hasn't someone made a RPG designed to tap into the eleventy billion kids and young teens who freaking love Harry Potter? I mean, the publishing world has figured out that HP fans will read other fantasy books, and have churned out a buttload of similar books and series and whatnot, all of which feature prominently any tme I walk into Borders.

And people always bemoan that gamers are getting older and we need a new generation of players and blah blah blah.

But still, no one has figured out the blatantly obvious idea of "Make a game 13 year old Harry Potter fans will play."

Yeah I know there's no chance of a licensed Harry Potter RPG coming out, but what's to stop WOTC from coming out with D&D Jr, the game of being a young wizard and having young wizardly adventures? And have it look and play similarly to HP.

Why the hell has no one done this?

Yes, I know I could run a game geared towards teens, using most any system. I'm sure I could use the new Mage to do a game set in Awakening University and all the PCs are 14. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone designing a product, specifically geared towards first time players, specifically geared towards the eleventy billion Harry Potter and other Young Adult Fantasy fans out there.

Like say the D&D Intro Boxed Set, but with PCs who are teens instead of hardened warriors and dwarves and halfing rogues and whatever, and who have adventures that don't revolve primarily around going into a dungeon and killing things and taking their stuff.

I don't know, I just can't fathom why no one has said "Hey, look at those people who bought 9 freaking million copies of the new harry potter book in the first week. Maybe we should try to market to them?"

John Wick

Just Wicked
Validated User
Because WotC asked and the lady who writes them said, "Other people writing about my characters? No fucking way."

Balbinus

Repairer of Reputations
Rowling has consistently refused to licence the brand to rpgs. She keeps a very tight rein on licencings and in the absence of permission this is a non-starter sadly.

Vrylakos

All right, all right, all right...
Validated User
Green Ronin's Redhurst Academy of Magic was a HP derived meta-setting for D&D.

At least, that's my read of it.

Vrylakos

entropy402

My mouth-words?
inscrutable said:
Yeah I know there's no chance of a licensed Harry Potter RPG coming out, but what's to stop WOTC from coming out with D&D Jr, the game of being a young wizard and having young wizardly adventures? And have it look and play similarly to HP.
Restated, because it seems to be getting looked over.

Chris Goodwin

not a robot
Validated User
John Wick said:
Because WotC asked and the lady who writes them said, "Other people writing about my characters? No fucking way."
And instead we get a million fanfic pages with Harry and Draco having sex. Fanfic is the peeing Calvin sticker of the world wide web.

GRIMJIM

Banned
And yet, there's been a lot of talk here there and around about a Harry Potter MMORPG. EA were planning it so I hear but its apparently been canned, for now.

Still, touch of hypocrisy?

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
entropy402 said:
Restated, because it seems to be getting looked over.
Thank you.

I'm well and aware that JK Rowling will not licence out an official Harry Potter RPG. But it boggles my mind that no one has looked at this phenomenon and said "Hey, we should get some of that cash!"

Maybe RPG publishers are just too set in their ways or inward focused or whatever, but this just seems like such an obvious idea to me that I'm amazed it hasn't been done.

Broin

Fish Cuckoo Artichoke
There's probably more people roleplaying Harry Potter than Gurps at the moment. They just aren't seen as 'gamers' by us folk, which is our loss. And *our* kind of gaming has nthing to offer them.

The HP gamers don't use rules systems, they play on message boards, and the information is all free (wikis and so on), so how could you market something to them?

Joe.

Top Bottom