• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wii Virtual Console] Is it like minting money?

Geburah

Brickotherapist
Validated User
I was reading a news item (based on a Nintendo press announcement) on Gametrailers.com when I found this little nugget of information:

Gametrailers.com said:
According to Nintendo's statistics, more than 4.7 million VC games have so far been downloaded on the Wii since the service opened for business on November 19th, 2006. The vast number represents a rate of more than 1000 games per hour since the console's launch last year.
Admittedly, with roughly 7.4 million Wiis out there, it's clear not everyone has sprung for a VC game (yet), but I was just making a quick calculation:

Call the average VC game price 7$ (price range 5-10$). Knock of a couple of dollars per game (call it 2$) to pay third party developers for their contributions, and an extra 1$ for the price of keeping the network going (which is probably a serious overestimation). And let's assume the game development costs were covered waaaaaay back (not unreasonable).

Now multiply 4.7 million by 4, and you come up wih a nice round 18.8 million dollars. Let's call it 20mil to be generous, in just over 6 months. Pure profit. Pretty nice, although petty cash compared to the profit they're probably making on the console itself.

I wonder how much of that they'll reinject to R&D for the eighth generation Nintendo console. ;)

Anyway, it's a pretty clear indication that legacy gaming and backwards compatibility have some commercial value...

Last edited:

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Man, everything Nintendo does these days seems to be minting money. If I recall correctly, in the most recent NPD report for this month, Nintendo was:

The company with the best-selling home console
The company with the best-selling portable system
The company with the best-selling game

...I mean, geez, guys. Congratulations, I guess.

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
It would seem.

Though VC numbers have been falling. Whether that's due to poorer VC releases recently or people realising they aren't having that much fun with VC releases I don't know.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Though VC numbers have been falling. Whether that's due to poorer VC releases recently or people realising they aren't having that much fun with VC releases I don't know.
I propose a third alternative: most folks were only interested in picking up a handful of classic games they remember from when they were kids, and for the most part they've already obtained them.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Agree with David. Lets see how they do after the holidays this go round, along with what titles they release. The trick is (for me) is that there really are only so many big name old retro games that people will remember - gotta keep those padded out as best they can.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
The trick is (for me) is that there really are only so many big name old retro games that people will remember - gotta keep those padded out as best they can.
As I've the before for the whole thing (rereleased 16 or 8 bit classics) for me is something I tend to avoid due to the scarring I suffered trying out various old classics with emulators and discovering my childhood memories of perfect gaming experiences were of games that are quite awful for me to play now.

Which is why I refuse to checkout Elite now, the game which is my alltime favourite.

Though oddly enough I can still happily play things like Pacman, Galaga, 1942, Terra Cresta and Ghost's n Goblins. I don't quite understand why.

Speaking of downloadable classics...I see the PSN now has:

Guilty Gear
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '97
Little Princess: Maru Oukoku no Ningyou Hime 2
Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special: Dominated Mind
Samurai Spirits: Kenkaku Yubinan Pack
Septentrion
Spectral Force 2
Spectral Tower
Suna no Embrace
Are any of those worth checking out?

Last edited:

nonsense

Hey Nonny-Nonny
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I refuse to believe that Wiis exist. I've certainly never seen one. It's all a big conspiracy to get me to visit video game stores and make a fool of myself!

Do we know what the best-selling VC titles are? I'd be curious to see what people are going back in time for.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Do we know what the best-selling VC titles are? I'd be curious to see what people are going back in time for.
1st party Nintendo titles I imagine. Stuff like Octarina of Time.

Is Goldeneye available? I've never seen that, but I'm curious given the legend that has sprung up around it.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
1st party Nintendo titles I imagine. Stuff like Octarina of Time.

Is Goldeneye available? I've never seen that, but I'm curious given the legend that has sprung up around it.
It is...not a game that holds up well against the ravages of time. That's true of most N64 titles, honestly, but Goldeneye more than most.

Top Bottom