• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WiP Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition] The Hellpit Spleengnawers' rat race to the top

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
Recently I've been playing quite a bit of Blood Bowl Chaos Edition (thanks to playing BB: Team Manager with some friends and getting the itch for some actual Blood Bowl), and I've played a campaign up to the point where my orcs have won the Blood Bowl cup and are the first in the rankings. My question is if the Campaign actually ends at one point, or if you can simply keep playing (as it seems, given that after the Blood Bowl cup, I've had to enter the Clean Cup again, and a halfling team is waiting to be decimated).

Also, I'm pondering to make a WiP thread where I'd go through a campaign in sort of Ironman mode (there's no Ironman, but I'd simply only save between match and match, not reloading earlier saves at any point), told in IC style as if it was Jim and Bob commenting my matches, but since that's time consuming I'd like to know if there would be people interested in it before I begin.

Therion

Hi there!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: [Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition] A question and gauging interest in a WiP

I'm not sure about the campaign thing. I think it can be played indefinitely. There are options with a limited duration, though. Maybe a championship? I don't know, it's been a while.

Also, yeah, I'd read it.

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User

I'm not sure about the campaign thing. I think it can be played indefinitely. There are options with a limited duration, though. Maybe a championship? I don't know, it's been a while.

Also, yeah, I'd read it.
Thanks, I'll have to take a look at it. If I get a couple more people interested in the WiP, I'll happily start it. I'm thinking of going with Amazons (flexible team, no obvious weaknesses other than the fact that they're completely average, and seem to have a decent running game. They seem like a big departure from my orcs, specially given the kind of gameplay I tend to do with them), but if people have a really deep interest to see another team being played I can reconsider it. I'm also open to go with Blitz options in case people wanna see them, though I tend to consider them a bit of a mess.

Bira

Validated User

I'm horrible at playing Blood Bowl, and I would like to see someone who's actually good at it going through the game :).

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User

I'm horrible at playing Blood Bowl, and I would like to see someone who's actually good at it going through the game :).
I wouldn't say I'm good at it, but against the AI I was winning most games keeping my score to 0 without even playing "hold the ball until the last turn"*. I'm just good at gauging risks in the game, which is about half of the game. I'll be happy to make some tactical comments on the match writeups if people want them, but I'll try to keep those short, otherwise posts will be enormous :p.

*Not a huge achievement under any situation. The AI isn't all that good.

Spiritbw

Was a curious coyote, now a feudal feline.
Validated User

Bit of a fan, moderate to horrid at actual play. Would love to see how someone else goes through the campaign in the computer game. :)

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User

Ok, three people (plus a couple of RL friends) is enough to sway me to start the WiP. So, to kick this off (expect bad puns in the writeups, btw :p ), I'd like to ask you guys some questions and also comment some stuff:

- Any preference on the team? As mentioned above, I was toying with Amazons, but I'm not opposed to most teams. Goblins and Halflings, I'd rather avoid because, well, they suck, High Elves because I don't like them (they're a really good team. I just dislike their pompous asses), and Khemri because I really, really don't like their playstyle (having Ag 2 at most in this game is... Yeah, no). Also, Orcs are out of the question as I have already finished one playthrough with them, and while I think they're one of the best teams out there, I'd rather avoid a repeat.
- Would you rather I go with Blitz options? In general they're considered somewhat annoying, and I'd expect people to prefer a normal game, but I can enable them if you'd rather see them.
- The rules would be thus: I save in between matches, and whatever happens I let it stay. That means that luck will bite me in the ass, despite my best efforts to avoid losses. My aim is to keep playing until I complete the campaign (winning the blood bowl cup) or until the team is in shambles and thus cannot recover from so many losses (both in terms of players and games).
- I will comment all matches, and add a couple of screenshots of them, if I feel a tactical situation is interesting. More might make the whole WiP too long to follow. Since I don't have video editing software, nor have the time for it, I can't do it on video, so apologies for that.
- I'll try to do a match per every 2 days, more if I can handle, but I'd rather aim for something manageable instead of getting burnt out because it's taking me too long. Ideally I'll play 3-4 games in a row, then upload the commentaries every 2 days or so.

Edit: One I forgot. Should I open a new thread for the WiP?

Last edited:

Bira

Validated User

I have no team preference, though I would prefer a normal game (no Blitz options).

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User

Well, I've played one game with an Amazon team, no blitz options, against Khemri. The game had an interesting mix of tactical situations, and I took lots of screenshots to make some explanations, specially as rules are concerned and how I choose movement order (more than I'll normally take, but I think it's worth the extra effort for the first time situations arise). I'll make sure to post that one as a freebie (whether I end up playing with Amazons or not), as I think it highlights some interesting points of the game. I did pretty well, considering how bashy Khemri is, suffering no injuries, injuring a couple of players myself, and I managed to level up one thrower, to boot :).

I'm saving that post for when the actual WiP starts, though ;)

Therion

Hi there!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Play it as you wish, I say. I would be a bit sad if there's no passing play at all, but if you're playing to limit your risks that's understandable.

Top Bottom