• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[WIP] Dark Souls 3: Kings and Vagabonds

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
Having honed my skills by depleting the ranks of Lothric’s hollowed knights, I travelled onto the Road of Sacrifices to find a winding path, dotted with fearsome adversaries – from strange bird-men to monstrously large crabs to malignant wizards. The environment proved hostile and aggressive enough that I returned to the Settlement to explore. Within a twisted labyrinth of sewers and catacombs, I located and released a blind maiden named Irina, who has since travelled to the Shrine for safety.

Emboldened by this success, I returned to the Road of Sacrifices, and met a noble shield-maiden by the name of Anri of Astora. She seems…familiar, somehow. Someone I knew in my past life, perhaps? A fellow knight, maybe? Something more? We agreed to aid each other in battle should we encounter each other, and she and her companion, one ser Horace, continued on their quest: the death of Aldrich, one of the Lords of Cinder - a worthy cause indeed, for he seems to be the most malignant among them.

With my spirits lifted by this encounter, I returned to the ordeal. With patience and determination, I found the apparent master of this torturous domain: a potent sorcerer, whose strange crystalline magics and ability to move around the battlefield through witchcraft ultimately availed him nothing against a keen blade.

Having bested the sorcerer, I returned to the Settlement with a flame-imbued sword in hand and ensured the twisted great tree would cause no more trouble, claiming the Transposing Kiln it held and delivering it to Lord Ludleth, as per his request.

Spoiler: Show
So far the Road of Sacrifices is my least favourite part, although I know full well that there are going to be worse ahead; it’s a Souls game, after all.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
My travels have brought me to the Cathedral of the Deep: a vast edifice, its beatific exterior concealing a heart stained with betrayal and sin. This is, after all, the source of the fiends in human shape that ravaged the Undead Settlement. This is the vile cult that, I have learned, reveres Aldrich, a monstrous cannibal and one of the Lords of Cinder.

The closer one draws to the Cathedral building, the more the cult’s true character reveals itself. The exterior is a twisting maze of indirect corridors and feral undead, including horrific beasts formed from a multitude of leeches. Once that can be negotiated, the interior is profane in the extreme: vast pits of knee-deep sludge, twisted, goblin-like hollows, chained and monstrous giants. I remember tales of the Way of White, an institution that, while flawed, nonetheless remained righteous. Seeing this usurper in its place is despicable.

The labyrinthine Cathedral is accessible by elevators via a small chapel on its edge, and it is that chapel that served as my home base throughout my campaign. Fortuitously, said chapel contains a bonfire, which eased my travels enormously.

I encountered Anri and Horace at the heart of the structure. They had gained entrance via a different route, and we drew our blades, marched forth to engage Aldrich…and found that he was no longer within the Cathedral. Rather, the foes we had to engage were the most senior of the Cathedral’s malignant clergy. They proved little threat, particularly to the three of us working in unison; even the Archdeacon proved no match for us. The church hierarchy has doubtless been reduced somewhat, but the master of the vile place – a devotee of Aldrich known to all as Pontiff Sulyvahn – remains at large, at least for now. I shall investigate the Cathedral some more, and see if I may learn anything that is tactically useful.

That strange feeling of familiarity has only grown stronger while fighting alongside Anri. I hope that at some stage I can discuss this with her, but my tongue remains clumsy and ineffectual, and even her familiarity with the nonverbal speech of Horace the Hushed seems to avail me little. I hope that at some stage we may speak without our quests impinging upon us, but for now that seems a remote possibility.

krfsm

GRAVE DUST Operator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Indeed, searching the Cathedral and its environs may yield fruitful insights. Remember that it rises as well as digs in.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
Indeed, searching the Cathedral and its environs may yield fruitful insights.
I've definitely gotten into a reflex where upon beating the boss I hang back for a bit and go poking around, even in places like the Road of Sacrifices that are not much actual fun.

Remember that it rises as well as digs in.
Honestly, the Cathedral is one of those locations where I completely lost the ability to tell whether any given part was above or below ground unless I could actually see the sky. I don't have the world's greatest sense of direction or ability to visualise in three dimensions, so while I could usually find where I was going, any attempt to draw a floorplan of the cathedral would probably end in a bunch of random boxes with labels like "Here Be Knee-Deep Sewage For No Particular Reason".

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
Excerpt from Wayfarer's Journal:

During my explorations at the Cathedral of the Deep, I encountered what appeared to be Siegward, only to learn that the man in Caterinan armour was in fact a scoundrel of some sort who had trapped the genuine Siegward within a well just outside my chapel stronghold. Following a gruelling battle through the rafters of the Cathedral, I managed to locate the scoundrel responsible, and while I was sore tempted to strike his villainous head from his shoulders, my reason prevailed and I secured the armour without violence to his person and returned it to its rightful owner.

This was one of the few things that could be accomplished without violence, however, for the next stage of my quest required me to gain entrance to the fortification of Farron Keep, which is located within a blighted marsh of grim repute. The ruins jutting out of it proved to be home to a monstrous demon, so old that its hide had petrified, but that was little threat compared to the fiendish forces running riot within the marsh itself. The greatest beasts of the marsh, towering monsters with their formidable might enhanced by malign sorcery, are significantly beyond my strength to engage, and as such my battles with them have involved little valour but significant exertion.

Once the keep’s gate had been opened – a strenuous task involving considerable trudging through muck – I found the keep haunted by Darkwraiths: ruthless killers with little motivation but bloodshed. While they proved useful for destroying the beasts, they were fearsome opponents, striking quickly and relentlessly with their blades.

With the Darkwraiths dispatched, I was faced with the first of my true prey: the Abyss Watchers. It appears that their noble vigil had allowed some abyssal corruption to take root within their hearts, and so the Watchers were too consumed with internecine conflict to answer the tolling bell.

They could not be reasoned with, nor could they be freed from the Abyssal madness that had claimed them, so - with the aid of a passing sell-sword, I granted them the only mercy left to them. May the brotherhood of the Watchers be reunited in death, as it could not be in the half-life of the Cinder.

Spoiler: Show
I do not like fighting Darkwraiths. I do not like it at all. On the bright side, their habit of running around murdering everything meant that I could just wait a bit and let them get battered before I faced them. Also, free souls.

krfsm

GRAVE DUST Operator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Siegward's questline is ... complex, but very fitting for the game series' theme, IMO.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
Honestly, the Cathedral is one of those locations where I completely lost the ability to tell whether any given part was above or below ground unless I could actually see the sky. I don't have the world's greatest sense of direction or ability to visualise in three dimensions, so while I could usually find where I was going, any attempt to draw a floorplan of the cathedral would probably end in a bunch of random boxes with labels like "Here Be Knee-Deep Sewage For No Particular Reason".
There is a reason.

The reason is that the giants in the cathedral are bound and cannot move far from their location, and whatever drainage system the lower floors may once have had have long since stopped functioning.

Those are pools of giant shit.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
There is a reason.

The reason is that the giants in the cathedral are bound and cannot move far from their location, and whatever drainage system the lower floors may once have had have long since stopped functioning.

Those are pools of giant shit.
That does not make me feel better.

Ryom

Validated User
There is a pretty neat stream on youtube with DS3 where the player must scavenge equipment from the area he's in and use that to invade and beat another player before they allow themselves to take on the boss, rinse and repeat. Ever think about streaming your game?

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
There is a pretty neat stream on youtube with DS3 where the player must scavenge equipment from the area he's in and use that to invade and beat another player before they allow themselves to take on the boss, rinse and repeat. Ever think about streaming your game?
My internet and/or computer is so amazingly terrible that DS3 won't let me play online, and I have some doubts that my monthly cap would stand taking up streaming. So maybe someday, but it's not really viable at the moment.

Top Bottom