• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIP] Instant-Death Bridge Over Muddy Waters, it's Lagoon!

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
I can't believe you get access to damage immunity this early in the game.
Well, it's a bit different from real invincibility. You see, the defense ring provides a flat bonus to defense which is about the equivalent of an armor upgrade- and the fact that this version of the game doesn't have pity damage works both ways.

I think the main weakness of this version of Lagoon is that it is not only possible to outgrind pretty much all of the bosses, it may actually be necessary, because all of the bosses do body contact damage. In Ys I, II, and IV (Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys versions), most bosses either didn't do contact damage, or if they did, there was a way to attack them that didn't expose Adol to that contact damage, and MP isn't plentiful enough in this game to burn down bosses purely with magic. So while this version does play better in the general, it's not without its own major flaws.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
It really is perfectly cave-y, isn't it?

Anyway, here's the last lore dump from the manual I promise.

The Royal Lineage

The royal family of Lake Leland possess the power to move Lagoon Castle. This
bloodline tends to pass particularly to the firstborn princess. But this
power, by law, is not used except as an emergency measure in times when the
kingdom experiences recurring crises.
Moreover, the law says that this power is only to be used at the discretion of
the princess. This is because the water that springs from Lagoon Castle loses
its radiance as soon as the castle leaves ground, and no other should endanger
the lives of her subjects.

-------

So anyway, it's time to explore Siegfried Castle and get backstabbed a bunch.

Lagoon x68k Part 4- 'Cause it's easy. And it does a lot of damage.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Wow, that scream when you glitched into his head was well timed.
Well, I didn't so much glitch into his head as accidentally take advantage of one of the properties of Lagoon's combat- I had turned around when his hand took a swipe at me, so I was pushed backward into Duma's sprite. This would have probably killed me if this was the SNES version.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
I thought for sure there would be a Green Lantern joke when you got the power ring.

Indivisible

Validated User
That wizard fight at first reminded me of Dragon Ball Z, then that fight between the turtle and the bid bad in Final Fantasy 5. I think that I prefer having a more powerful force of good be exhausted/injured taking out an opponent rather than just killing them off. It feels like there's more momentum towards saving the day while still having risk, rather than having the good guys fail until they kill the big bad.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
I can't really think of why they changed it for the SNES version other than to have another boss in the boss rush, but in the Sharp version of the story the two also have somewhat more history together. You can argue gameplay qualities all day long, but the Sharp version of Lagoon has the unquestionably better-executed sotry.

And speaking of which, it's time to take on Lagoon Castle.

Lagoon x68k Part 6- King of the Impossible.

Indivisible

Validated User
Huh. I don't think I've ever seen a villain steal part of a macguffin like that before, especially when the person who made it had the rest right there.

The joke run actually working was pretty funny.

Top Bottom