[WIP] My Entire Steam Library

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Like many people, I have an overly large Steam Library. There are some games that I've never played, others that I've only played briefly. Oddly enough, each of these games is one that, at the time of purchase, inspired me to think "this game looks neat, I really look forward to playing it." Yet for a variety of reasons, I frequently wound up distracted, and my list of unplayed and underplayed games just continued to grow.

This current Summer Sale just exacerbated the problem. Since I abhor waste, I decided to make a resolution - I would play every damned game in my Steam Library, in alphabetical order, for at least 20 hours (though I may fudge this downward for the slighter indie games), until I get through them all.

And, also, I will blog about it.

This project is overly ambitious, and I'll probably give up around the time Civilization: Beyond Earth comes out, but for now, at least I'm determined.

My first game is A Game of Thrones - Genesis

Does anyone have any experience with this game? Any suggestions as to things I should try and accomplish or pitfalls I should avoid? General strategy advice?

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
My first blog post is up:

http://decadentgamer.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-game-of-thrones-genesis-220-hours.html

I discuss my first impression of A Game of Thrones - Genesis - they are not favorable. Which is kind of a major bummer, because I have some unplayed games on my list that are widely considered to be classics (I've heard nothing but good things about Psychonauts, for example). Still, maybe it'll be good to get a stinker out of the way while my enthusiasm for the project is still high.

Baulderstone

Validated User
So, what are the rules here? Are you actually trying to complete all these games or just try them? If not completion, how much time are you forcing yourself to spend with ones you don't like?

Crusader Kings II really does cast a long shadow on any game that aspires to capture the magic of GoT. Without even having GoT as a real basis or having much in the way of fantasy elements, it fulfills that need pretty well. In fact, I would say it has advantages on any licensed property. The thing that has kept me from even trying the mod for CK II is that Westeros/Essos seems like a small kiddie pool next to the ocean of intrigue stretching from the Iberian Peninsula to India.

Anyway, Psychonauts is as good as people say, so you have something to look forward to.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Well, the "rules" are purely self-imposed, and I'd say it was more of a goal than anything - spend 20 hours on each game in my Steam Library. If it turns out that I want to finish a game and it takes longer, I probably will (finishing all my games is a strong intention, but it's not something I'm going to beat myself up over if it turns out I get bored/frustrated by the 20 hour mark). If it's a short indy game with not a lot of replay value, I may quit after I finish it, but before hour 20. It's not something I expect to come up against too often, as most of my games are strategy games, and thus have no real end per se.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I've got a new post up:

http://decadentgamer.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-game-of-thrones-genesis-920-hours.html

To summarize: I am not a huge fan of the game, and I've noticed many things that I consider flaws. It's a long one, but a lot of it is given over to speculation about the motives of the game designers in making the choices they did. It doesn't feel like an especially auspicious start to my new blog. I get the feeling that I should have gone with another method of determining which order I play these the games in.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I wrote a new post detailing my current Steam Library. I figure it might be helpful to anyone interested in following my blog to see what is coming up. It should also give a sense of exactly how ambitious my goal really is.

http://decadentgamer.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-roadmap-to-future.html

I've also decided that while my default plan is to go in alphabetical order, I am also willing to take requests. If a single game gets 3 votes, I will play it next, after A Game of Thrones - Genesis.

Baulderstone

Validated User
This is actually a pretty neat idea and one I might emulate. Although my steam list is larger than your by quite a margin....
Yeah, I was hoping that I might look at the list and feel better about mine, but no. There is a decent amount of overlap with mine though, I might try playing along at times when a unplayed game in my library comes up, so I can compete notes. Antichamber is the first one we share.

Top Bottom