• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIP]There's never a good time to have a curse, in Emerald Dragon!

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
So.

I know I keep on promising you people Popful Mail, and I keep on failing to deliver, but there are various reasons that this is the case. The game seems to actively resist me trying to play it, and the last five times I've attempted to start it up, various issues related to my own sudden and inexplicable incompetence have kept that from happening, making me unable to produce a single video.

In the end, I decided to move on to the next game on the queue.

I made a promise... One That I can never break.

Emerald Dragon is yet another RPG that came about because of the fact that when it came to bleeding staffers, Telenet Japan was the Alexei Romanov of game companies.

Telenet Japan had a great deal of famous departures- the composer for Valis 3 peaced out and went on to do the soundtrack for the Wild Arms series, and when their most important subsidiary studio, Wolfteam broke up, half became Namco's Tales Team and the other half formed Tri-Ace studios (and Motoi Sakuraba did music for everyone), but the departure we're talking about happened much, much earlier than that. Back in 1986, a little bit after the first version of Valis 1 went out, Osmu Ikegame and a few other like-minded staffers split off to form their own game development company called Glodia. The new company mainly developed RPGs and strategy games for the Pc-88 and Pc-98, FM Towns, and others, and they released about a dozen games over the lifetime of the company. However, the only game that made any sort of real splash was an RPG called Emerald Dragon, released in 1989.

Now, Emerald Dragon was one of those games that was released for everything in the East and nothing at all in the West, getting put on the PC-88, PC-98, FM Towns, Sharp X68000, then later on the Turbo CD and Super Nintendo, with the console ports being done by a company called Media Works. No version of the game was translated until the Super Nintendo version got a fan translation in 2008 (which is the version I played), and the MSX version got one in 2012 (though that one seems really hard to find). And I decided to pay attention to this one because this was actually part of my RPG backlog for years. The SNES version is also the version of the game I'll be playing for this thread.

By the way, it might be important to note that Emerald Dragon predates the Breath of Fire series. It's not going to be hard to see why that's good to know once we get in there.

Oh yeah, the game spawned a radio show at some point. Found the opening theme. Very Lodoss War (also sung by Risa Ohki, who has done a bunch of stuff for the Final Fantasy vocal albums).

So, is Emerald Dragon one of the truly great forgotten classics of the 16-bit era, like Treasure of the Rudras?

No.

So... Why, then?

Because Emerald Dragon, while not being stellar in terms of gameplay, still does some things which are interesting to me, personally, enough so that the game had something of an effect on my other habits. Because here's the short version of what happened when I really went back to beat this game earlier this year.

"Okay. I'm really gonna beat Final Fantasy X this time. No bones about it, just gonna put my nose to the grindstone and beat the game."

"Well, while I'm at it, it wouldn't hurt to clear out my fan-translated RPG backlog, so why not finish Emerald Dragon?"

*Finishes the game* "I have no desire to play FFX anymore."

And this was followed by me beating Emerald Dragon again, and while I was at it, why not beat Emerald Dragon again? So I did. This was approaching Ys levels of game looping. So, that's the type of game I'm going to be playing.

This is also alongside that, even though this game is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of JRPGs, almost everyone I encountered who sat down and gave this game a go on either side of the Pacific has had a bunch of good things to say about their experience with it, which is normally the kind of response reserved for games like Final Fantasy IV or VI.

So, here we go.

How's this going to be done?

What has happened before will happen again.

So, here we go!

Where I Play Emerald Dragon Part 1- Our King is Great, but he is terrible with names.

Oh, and here's that collage of Tamryn and Atrushan growing up together (FM Towns version)

Spoiler: Show

Last edited:

anowack

RPGnet Member
Validated User
By the way, it might be important to note that Emerald Dragon predates the Breath of Fire series. It's not going to be hard to see why that's good to know once we get in there.
No kidding.

I'll admit I was distracted during the introduction, but I didn't realize Tamryn was supposed to be a girl when she first showed up.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
I'll admit I was distracted during the introduction, but I didn't realize Tamryn was supposed to be a girl when she first showed up.
Yeah, tiny Tamryn has been drawn that way pretty much since the beginning. I guess it's kind of a byproduct fo the fact that this game's artstyle is very late '80s/early '90s OVA, like, Emerald Dragon would be the VHS box next to Lodoss War at Suncoast.

And speaking of which, someone took the time to translate the x68000 version's intro into English. Viewable here.

As for us, it's time to clean up the inevitable traitor, first thing at dawn.

Emerald Dragon Part 2- I Suppose a Normal Girl might've found him dashing.

Last edited:

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
So, good news.

I remembered that I actually got Vegas Pro thanks to one hell of a Humble Bundle, so now I can so some more things that I couldn't do with Virtualdub/Audacity, such as subtitles and whatever- it's a good substitute for the fact that youtube doesn't do annotations anymore, plus I can finally have stereo audio again.

Anyway, while our team has defeated Parago, there's much more to be done, and the party's paths may well cross with that of Ostracon, chief commander of the Demon Army.

Emerald Dragon part 4- Dal^H^H^H Ostracon is a Jerk.

Indivisible

Validated User
Good to see that you're doing another Let's Play. I've heard of this game, but I've forgotten what the plot summary was, so this should be interesting.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't have anything constructive to say but I'm watching with interest :)

Top Bottom