• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIP]There's never a good time to have a curse, in Emerald Dragon!

Indivisible

Validated User
I'm continually impressed by how well and consistently this game dodges cliches, which is especially impressive considering that it's over 20 years old.

Hero/heroine love story? The main hero consistently treats the person he's in love with as a person with her own agency.

Villain appears to monologue at heroes? Hero immediately attacks and grievously wounds him. (This is my favorite.)

Villain waiting for heroes to go through the entire army before fighting them? Nope. He straight up ambushing them while they're on non-advantageous terrain.

Learn something traumatizing about yourself? Gotta get back to saving the world.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
I'm continually impressed by how well and consistently this game dodges cliches, which is especially impressive considering that it's over 20 years old.
Well, part of it is because Atrushan has some rather unusual motivations for a JRPG protagonist to the point that there are times where he behaves more like a supporting character than the lead. In fact, his side of the quest- Breaking the Curse of Ishbahn and resurrecting the Emerald Dragon- is basically backgrounded for almost the entire game as something incidental to Tamryn's quest to defeat the Demon Army.

But the quest is not yet over, and there a couple of things we need to do.

Like gathering our party before venturing forth.

Emerald Dragon Part 14- Confession Booth

Indivisible

Validated User
I really like Tamryn. She never fails to step up to the occasion and keeps going through revelations that would cause other protagonists to shut down for a while. I actually really like the whole dynamic with a hero on an epic quest deciding that the heroine's epic quest is more immediately important and unreservedly supporting her.

This is a gem of a game. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
I really like Tamryn. She never fails to step up to the occasion and keeps going through revelations that would cause other protagonists to shut down for a while. I actually really like the whole dynamic with a hero on an epic quest deciding that the heroine's epic quest is more immediately important and unreservedly supporting her.

This is a gem of a game. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
When I was trying to figure out how to describe what makes the relationship between Tamryn and Atrushan different from other JRPG leads in one sentence, the first thing my brain blurted out was "It's different because their relationship is somewhat based on mutual love and respect." And this made me laugh in all the worst ways, because it reminded me of Final Fantasy IV, which, I'll remind you, came out after the earlier versions of Emerald Dragon, where Cecil actually tried to bench Rosa (and Rydia, which might be even more hilarious) for the final dungeon. So we have Cecil back there going "Oh no, I can't bear the thought of my powerful, arrow-slinging adventure wife facing more of the dangers like the ones we've been facing for a good while now." But over here it's like:

Tamryn: I want to chase down a 3000-plus-year old demigod.
Atrushan: Yeah, let's get that jackass!

...I don't think it's a coincidence that in later versions of the game, Tamryn got main billing on the box covers.

And speaking of getting that jackass, Tamryn, Atrushan, and the rest of the party have cornered Tiridates in the highest reaches of the Lost City of the Horus.

But even if they succeed, what awaits them after?

Emerald Dragon Part FINAL- Fighting Fate.

And that's it, really. I know that I chose something pretty obscure this time around, even for me, but I think it's sometimes worthwhile to shine a light on the stuff that didn't get brought over that nobody really talks about for one reason or another.

So, there you go.

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Would you believe I am still on episode 6? But I am going to watch them one episode/day now, so I will soon reach the end.

Thanks for showing us this gem of a game. I honestly never heard of it until you showed uo with the WIP and am glad that you did.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Would you believe I am still on episode 6? But I am going to watch them one episode/day now, so I will soon reach the end.

Thanks for showing us this gem of a game. I honestly never heard of it until you showed uo with the WIP and am glad that you did.
Yeah, I know my upload pace can be rather... energetic, but bad things happen if I stop and lose momentum. Still, the thread will be here whenever you have something to say.

And the truth is I came across this game largely by chance myself- just part of me doing the rounds of fan-translated RPGs to poke around and see what's worth playing and finishing.

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So what are you going to do next? Another Ys? Or perhaps one of the Tales?

Indivisible

Validated User
When I was trying to figure out how to describe what makes the relationship between Tamryn and Atrushan different from other JRPG leads in one sentence, the first thing my brain blurted out was "It's different because their relationship is somewhat based on mutual love and respect." And this made me laugh in all the worst ways, because it reminded me of Final Fantasy IV, which, I'll remind you, came out after the earlier versions of Emerald Dragon, where Cecil actually tried to bench Rosa (and Rydia, which might be even more hilarious) for the final dungeon. So we have Cecil back there going "Oh no, I can't bear the thought of my powerful, arrow-slinging adventure wife facing more of the dangers like the ones we've been facing for a good while now." But over here it's like:
Mutual respect is the big thing that makes me like the characters. Atrushan loves Tamryn, so he supports her without hesitation and without trying to undermine her so that he feel more important. "I want to protect you, so I'll fight by your side to save the world!" That's sadly rare enough in a lot of stories that it makes this decades old game feel incredibly frech to me. "Destiny is not the thing that keeps you by my side," is pretty romantic.

This is definitely a game where the draw is the characters.

Also, looking at the ending cutscene, does Atrushan have a mullet? I thought it was just long hair.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
So what are you going to do next? Another Ys? Or perhaps one of the Tales?
Well, it's gonna be real hard for me to go back to Ys after Emerald Dragon. First for reasons that are probably obvious to anyone who finished watching, but second the style of the new Ys games has never really clicked with me so far. Ys games prior to Ys Seven have always been short, punchy games with simple mechanics but challenging situations and opponents, so longer Ys games with piles of additional mechanics like skill masteries, perfect dodges, crafting systems, party management, etc. largely defeats the purpose of why I play Ys games. If I do another Ys game it'll probably be Memories of Celceta (which is coming to PC!) just so I can finish out the Ys IV trifecta.

And Ys 8 just isn't happening anyway. Laxia is just so painfully tsundere in ways that Ys used to avoid that I can't see that going anywhere interesting.

Plus, I'll probably go back and finish Transformers: Devastation before anything else anyway.

Also, looking at the ending cutscene, does Atrushan have a mullet? I thought it was just long hair.
Nah, he's just generally long-haired. It's just an angle thing combined with his headband in that scene.

Also, one of the things I meant to put in the thread but didn't rediscover until now is that there's a site where people made localized boxes for games that were never localized. While the quality of the submissions is... variable, the ones for Emerald Dragon are pretty nice, even if one is just based off of the Turbo CD cover.

Top Bottom