• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro WIR Base Raiders

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
So I've decided to learn Strange FATE and switch my Base Raiders games over. During the procrastination time of that I've been relooking at the other chapters too and I kind of want to read a bit more of it. So I thought I'd like to try a WIR for the book, the game itself is in my top five though I remember finding things in the book I'm not as fond of. For full disclosure I'm a huge RPPR fan and their games have colored my memories of the book a bit as well.

But anyway, anyone else interested in going through the world of Base Raiders where we read spellbooks out loud, ingest glowing chemicals and weld bits of aliens onto ourselves in the pursuit of money and agenda?

krfsm

GRAVE DUST Operator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have only heard the name mentioned every now and then, and find the included screenshot deeply intriguing, so I'll follow along. Or, as today's kids might say, "subscribed!".

Hotjets

Validated User
I have both the FATE and ORE versions of Base Raiders. I found the campaign premise marvelous and liked a lot of other aspects of what I read. The FATE version definitely needed another round of editing though. Some of the rules are rather confusing, especially the mechanisms involving gaining new powers and mixing power sources. I wrote a review, available through this site. I look forward to reading your thread.

Hotjets

Hotjets

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User

That's the cover, Iconoclast and Knight Errant are looting the zombie factory. Everything here is in the book so we'll get to all of their write-ups in time.

All that’s left are puny humans… and all those nifty toys.
Base Raiders are superheroes for you and me. It’s superheroes for a world of smart phones and laser eye surgery and invisible clouds of ever-accessible information and TV robots that know what shows you like through digital mind reading. It’s a superheroes game for the generation that stopped being purely “human” twenty years ago and couldn’t be happier about it. It’s for the people that never met something they didn’t want to hack, customize, remix, or make better, including their own bodies. It’s a vision of superpowers tailor-made for a people that illegally download what they can’t afford, leak what they can’t abide, and won’t tolerate being told “no.”

The meta-human slate has finally been wiped clean. And maybe, just maybe, wanting in on the action doesn’t make you a monster. Maybe that death ray is better off in your hands than government black ops team or criminal syndicate. And perhaps cancer patients could use some of that hoarded super-science more than some dead avenger’s secret clubhouse. After all, isn’t it about damn time your moral imperative took back the night? Is it so hard to believe that actually having to work for power might make you respect it more than the privileged elite?
There’s only one way to find out.
Base Raiders isn’t a game for the weak, waiting endlessly for their superpower lotto tickets. It’s a game those strong enough to fight for the heroes they must become. The power is out there. Take it.
Or someone else will.
The forward, I'm not sure about the traditions for this so I didn't just put the whole page up. But it does a good job of getting the gist of the setting across. This is about people who want powers, your origin story is when you decided you wanted/needed/deserved more and got it. It sold me on the game pretty hardcore as something I wanted to play and an idea I wanted to work with.

It's also the first sticking point with my group. The first time I ran this (in ORE) where their origins more or less came out to “born this way” “didn't ask for it” and so on. So most of my players were still in traditional comics mode but I was already on board with the premise before I got the book.

Next is the introduction, it's about where the game came from (a Wild Talents game, it had a few similarities to BR) and does a bit more to set the tone. Here's the last paragraph because it's a pretty important part of the game.

A good dungeon crawl is only partially about overcoming the guardians and traps. It’s also about the reward at the end. The loot. It could be a pile of gold coins, a magic sword, or a suit of robotic power armor. It doesn’t matter what it is. What matters is what the hero intends to do with the loot. Heroes use the gold to feed the needy, the magic sword to slay an evil dragon, or the suit of power armor to save the world. In Base Raiders, the loot can be anything you can imagine. What kind of story can you tell when you hand normal people the power to change anything in the world, even themselves? There’s only one way to find out. Enjoy!
I loved the Heroes of New Arcadia game. It made me want to play super hero games. One of the big reasons for that was the beginning-middle-end plot, where the PCs changed the world.

The first time I ran BR I didn't hold strongly (enough) to a lot of the ideas because I was thinking differently than my players. What we got was a lot of half measures and bases raided but not a lot of growth or movement. I don't want to say it but it may be a FATE/ORE problem, that the game was written for FATE and a lot of the parts translate poorly. It's not quite on the Dirty World level of being unusable with any other system but I think it's a factor.

Other thoughts on the game I ran is that the goal system which we'll get to in hundreds of pages is an important part of keeping out of that cycle but then again so do players having strong connections to non-base ideas and ideals. From my game, most of the PCs originally had problems getting on the goal system, and extra problems spending loot points on things other than leveling up.

And next time we'll get into the history chapters. There are many.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
Chapter 1: Then and Ragnarok: History, it starts with a rather good sidebar, the important bits being:

In the standard history of Base Raiders, the public views superpowers as a net benefit to civilization, although not without its drawbacks and flaws. Governments and powerful institutions view superhumans as threats and rivals to their own power. If you change the history in your Base Raiders games where superhumans do not have a mostly positive impact in society, then you must think how that will affect the attitudes of mainstream society.
To set the tone. The quick version, powers have been a thing always they were just more hidden and less talked about. In WWI everyone had them but didn't know how to use them and wanted it kept secret. The first “Big Reveal” comes from China where both the Nationalists and Communists showed off their mutants and sorcerers. Which I thought was a cool reveal.

In WWII everyone had them and it was a big mess. But more importantly, they shortened the war and prevented much loss of life (liberating concentration camps etc.) and the public believed this so by the end the public was pretty fond of superhumans.

Things go well, some of the superhumans become heroes some become villains, they fight each other in flashy costumes and people make movies. They get together to stop a silly alien invasion, good times. Then the USSR uses a bunch of psychics to justify annexing East Germany. The upshot of that is McCarthyism directed at super people and anyone who might be under mind control.

This is also the beginning of super villains disappearing from custody into the CIA who were used to fight the KGB. All of this made Avalon sad and in the early 60s he formed The Ideal to be a super team and mutual aid society. Nobody thought they were serious but they got into rescue and disaster relief and some kind of famine ending in Africa and everyone thought super people were cool.

The powers that be, especially the US and USSR didn't and they killed, blacklisted, sanctioned etc anyone helping the group. The public became split.

Then the Vietnam war, the USSR sent super soldiers but not the methods to make them and the US sent super soldiers and the Viet Cong had to make due with magic. Which eventually they took too far and tried a trapped ritual and summoned The Avatar of Death. Which the Ideal put down because no one else could.

And everyone had a sit down and realized that weaponizing super stuff was a bad idea. So they signed a deal where The Ideal would be kind of extra-territorial and deal with super proliferation etc and the UN would be nice to them. The gist was The Ideal knew its' members identities, had to work with countries and law enforcement, but was also asked to contain the more dangerous criminals, allow UN oversight, and keep their toys from spreading too fast into humanity. Also supers above various power levels weren’t allowed into politics or the military but The Ideal was on hand to give assistance to anyone they thought needed it.

Lastly all non-humans fell under The Ideal's protection or were The Ideal's problem. This will be big later on as they're one of the major factions in the book. Also the heroes built a pocket solar system to keep non-human refugees in and didn't tell many people.

Then a bunch of years went by, The US/USSR etc were busy violating The Accord, The Ideal was popular and the USSR fell and a new wave of super criminals flooded the market but The Ideal stopped them and the world went on a “Don't get powers” bender with psychic suggestions to criminals and athletes talking about how “manly men” don't use alien penal glands. As the government and Ideal both realized it would get harder to keep super powers out of the hands of the unwashed masses they passed more laws about not getting powers.

And that's the history. Even with my flippant shortening it's still a lot of words. It works well though, and I like that it's built to have made the public fans of the supers, but not the PCs. Because the public loved the Ideal and these new upstarts could be anything. The section does a good job of making the world where supers are common but controlled or at least falling within narrowly defined categories and making their own status quo.

I like magic as the poor man's super source, the kind of thing that people can get their hands on because it's all around but really dangerous.

There's more and deeper in the book but this is already a page long. I left out the bit about alien invasions, I'll toss them in the later part of the reading with other factions.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
To finish the chapter:
Then the Ragnarok object popped up in Earth orbit and no one knew what to do. So the Ideal sent a first in team who lost communications pretty fast, so they went to look, and on the ground heroes and villains started to vanish. No one knew what was going on and the object peace'd out leaving the world without its' known superhumans.

Everyone was in a panic, depression and mass suicides while the world assumed an attack was coming now that the primary defense force for the world was gone. Martial law and increased tensions spread, the UN declared a global emergency and everyone got ready for something bad. But nothing happened.

After a few months of nothing people started to wonder, no one was ready to immediately do anything out of fear that the Ideal would pop up any second. But more time passes and still nothing countries began to quietly dismantle the Accord. There were a few Ideal associates left but they were mostly unimportant and a few just barricaded themselves into the Ideal headquarters because no one is crazy enough (yet) to try and break in.

Then some FBI agents tried to raid a base for a defense contractor and got into a fight with a Grey alien who was crashing on the couch. The alien died in custody and somehow the thing got public and everyone got really mad that the government was trying to steal from their heroes for the military industrial complex. So they backed off.

But a year went by and:

Criminal cartels are only now beginning to recover
from the Ideal’s last crackdown. All of the institutions of
the status quo are just now beginning to realize what
a world not dominated by powerful superheroes and
villains could be like. Reports of self-empowered base
raiders finding and looting abandoned bases are just
now beginning to surface.
The playing field is as level as it ever will be. A
small group of determined and skilled base raiders
can become as important as the Ideal or as feared as
any super villain. What happens next is up to you.
We get a quick note on timing Ragnarok, the USSR should have fallen and the Internet needs to have risen but otherwise it's pretty open.

Next there are three possibilities for what it was, time travelers from the far future, galactic tests and doomsday armies but a lot of it comes out to “wizard did it.” which ties nicely into “Does it matter to your game?” if that's a no then the cause isn't important. More or less, if the PCs arn't into investigating it then it'll be decades at least before people figure out what happened, if the PCs/Story is going that way then there are some considerations about the event.

1. Ragnarok is a history-changing event.
2. Anyone that returns from Ragnarok will be a drastically changed person.
3. Returning superhumans will probably view all or most base raiders as enemies.
Fair cop, the plan is to steal and snort their goodies.

And that's the setup. Everything changed and the game is about the people on the leading edge of that change. The world is in a very transitional state now and the PCs will have a genuine opportunity to change it. Ragnarok is out there if you want to dig for the truth but if you instead want to start the “New Ideal” and bootstrap yourself that's fine too. But the world is also changing with the PCs and that to me makes the most interesting part of the game.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
Chapter 2: we're at now now

So after the Ideal et al left people were scared. But as time went on they got less so. There were tell-all books which took a lot of heroes off their pedestal. Then people got mad about the books and they stopped coming out, but by then one of them had inspired the DIY super powers culture.

Traditional (old) media kind of doesn’t want to talk about superhumans so they keep making other shows, alternative media love the base raiders because alternative media is best media and totally not lamestream for sheeple. To be fair, the quick rundown on alt-media is pretty awesome:

Alternative Media
Video Podcast: Source/Feed - the most ex-
treme video footage from base raiders, aliens,
or whoever else submits.
Independent Documentary: Ragna-What? -
A detailed examination of all known evidence
about Ragnarok that concludes that the US gov-
ernment is hiding evidence behind the event.
Album: The Notorious DIY’s Straight out of
Tunguska
-- hiphop songs about base raiding
and gaining superpowers.
Zine: Transform - articles on how to gain su-
perpowers cheaply and safely.
Book: Sanctuary - nonfiction account of a
pocket dimension used by the Ideal to house
alien refugees but is now threatened by their ab-
sence.
The law enforcement community (in the US?) won't go on high alert any more because they got tired of being there and now want normal. Locals are left to make their own rules about what to do when things happen. Also while many departments have power armor or anti superhuman weapons they don't (yet) have many trained users.

In the US there's now a turf war between the FBI and EPSA. EPSA was the kind of joke agency that watched the Ideal do their work before Ragnarok. Now they're trying to get into shape for being front and center, unless the FBI loots their budget first. The EPSA hates base raiders while the FBI seems to hate non-humans.

Petty crime is up in a godless world and organized crime is getting back into the saddle. More importantly now that super heroes aren't throwing them in jail and super villains aren't murdering them for profit or to make a point, organized crime wants to flex its' muscles, likely it'll break into open gang war soon.

There are six major controversies about the post-Ragnarok world:
Planetary defense: Aliens have come before and assuredly again, but any force able to defend the planet is also able to conquer it and no one wants anyone else to be in that position.
Base Raiders: Our plucky heroes, while they are criminals hoarding military grade weapons they have some good PR and seem useful to some powerful people.
Rights for non-humans: They don't have them yet and no one wants to talk about it. Also they get abused from most levels of society.
militarization of Superpowers: nobody wants to be the first but the nations totally want it. Many in power are thinking to gradually introduce them and hope nobody minds. Unless a new group rises to take the role of the Ideal (hint hint.)
Ideal tech: people are being slow to adapt but are arguing for and against, right now caution is winning.
Magic and religion: the internet has spread magic. Major faiths don't like it and people who get all open about being a mage get harassed or attacked. It's a matter of time before something tragic happens.

This is also the plot hook chapter, and they're pretty good. In the RPPR game they went through most of these (ironically not base raiding). This is also the part where the game gets a lot more US centric moving more directly into the Status Quo as enemy.

Most of these are campaigns in themselves though the Base Raiding one ties into the PCs naturally. Also a lot of the setup here is looking for proactive PCs to step up and lead a narrative before random jerks and the stodgy old Status Quo do. Pretty much every section here is “Things are not great and go right to shit unless the PCs get involved in a positive way.”

The other neat thing here is the finishing of the set-up. Where the heroes started out bigger than life and well loved, seen as gods and more trustworthy, then they vanished and people let their dirty laundry out. Which is why you can raid bases and not be instantly seen as an evil monster. It also leaves the setting pretty open to the kind of game you want.

To steal from Wild Talents you can think of these as axis for the police and populace as well as for each of the issues.

Last edited:

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
I have both the FATE and ORE versions of Base Raiders. I found the campaign premise marvelous and liked a lot of other aspects of what I read. The FATE version definitely needed another round of editing though. Some of the rules are rather confusing, especially the mechanisms involving gaining new powers and mixing power sources. I wrote a review, available through this site. I look forward to reading your thread.

Hotjets

Hotjets
The review is right here. We're still early in the book but later on when we get to the rules sections I hope you'll chime in. And funnily enough the lack of index is literally the last thing I'll complain about in this read-through.

Still going:

So yeah, the aline invasions I skipped:
There were three, the grays invaded in the 40s-50s, the Ideal and world armies fought them off, the invasion was kind of cheesy and had minimal loss of life and people kind of think of it fondly. The US got a bunch of their tech, the communists got some too when they landed in Tibet.

The Luyteins, a crab-bug empire showed up, thought that the human race was well and truly a race of “natives” and sent a fleet to colonize us for our own good. The Ideal fought off the invasion but a lot of it crashed in the Amazon.

The Biologicals were the last, mostly zerg zerg zerg, they hit the Pacific and again the Ideal was there but people are worried a queen escaped. Also from the AP, Dr. Pangloss got her hands on a bunch of them and ran with it.

It's on to interesting places:

Luytein capital Ship wreckage covering miles of the Amazon rainforest. Not all of its' been explored but it is the wreckage of a war force so these bases would be a bit dangerous to raid.

Tunguska Dimensional exclusion zone, in '68 a big'ol dimensional rift opened up where the Tunguska meteor hit. The USSR loved it and when it was open to explorable/exploitable worlds they went in all loot happy. But it was mostly open to Cthulhu infested hellscapes and bad places. So they got a bunch of scientists to see if they could find even more golden eggs inside. They didn't, and in the late 80s they did succeed in causing it to go crazy and spit out a bunch of little unstable riftlets. During the Cold War it provided the USSR with enough random alien crap to give them an edge in known capacity. Now it chews through UN budgets as they kind of guard the zone.

Just to jump in mid place list, I love the zone. It opens to infinite worlds, it spews out monsters and tech, it's guarded by not enough forces and lousy with base raiders, both plucky and corporate. I haven't figured out how to work it into a game yet but by god I want to.

The Ideal headquarters, the ultimate base, kind of. Built on an artificial island near the Galapagos and far from soft crushable civilian gathering places this place is on lockdown and ringed by US ships. There are still some friends of the Ideal inside who don't want to open up the the big nasty world. And they've got enough fabricators and deterrents to stay here until they die of old age, which they may be hoarding the cure for.

Sanctuary, people from alternate Earths, Greys, Luytein and all sorts of other non-humans got stuck on earth. So the Ideal being stand up guys built a pocket dimension and shoved a solar system in it. The nice planet got named Sanctuary and it's a pretty good earth replica stuffed with a millionish people and things. They have been cut off since the Ideal vanished and somehow are in danger of missing shipments of useful things because none of the inhabitants have ever heard of industry. Or they've got an advanced civilization looking for more stuffs.

New Arcadia, a nice place in CA, back in the day a ship loaded with fabbers dropped here and it was pretty boss. By now the early generation fabbers (the ones able to build better things) have been moved away but they've got some later gen ones and the time when everyone was here to study and exploit did good things for the ecconemy these days it's more like Detroit. It was also the home to the RPPR Wild Talents game.

Wastelands of Omega, so Omega was a Dr. Doom analogue here. But a while back everyone got tired of him being an awful despot and the UN joined the Ideal and invaded. Avalon (the Superman analogue) killed Omega and everyone lived in terror as all sorts of unkind failsafes went off turning his nation into a demon haunted hellscape full of murderbots. No one knows how but they keep coming, so even if you kill them all in a day or ten a bunch more will spawn. They can't leave the borders though so for everyone else it's not so bad. If you want your base raiding to be like a Heavy Metal album cover, go here, there's castles loaded with loot.

(A sidebar talks about where to put it, given the '93 date for Omega's death I'd still leave it with Latveria at the edge of the former USSR.)

And that's it for chapter two. I love this chapter as it gives all sorts of hooks and places. I think that the places are a little more difficult to bring in to some games but just being there makes the world better and I like the idea of a lot of these being capstones to PC goals.

Some thing we met here such as the EPSA aren't fully explained yet which is too bad but they will be. Also I would have liked a page or two of heroes and villains from before, not stats or anything like that but capsules and what kind of bases they've left behind.

But I love the setup where the whole world is about to fall into all sorts of chaos and trouble unless the PCs get involved, and even then everything may be on fire.

InkyHat

Mad Ringmaster
Validated User
Oh man. I wanted this so bad, but by the time I found out about kickstarter, it was already funded.

archivis

With great penguins...
Validated User
I bought the book after finding the podcast, and like it but have never gotten the opportunity to play in a game.

Top Bottom