• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro WIR Base Raiders

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
So ORE, it's the first game I tried Base Raiders with and it didn't work too well. I did a supers game in it and same but different reasons. Part of that was a competitive player and a theorycrafter player and part was me not handling things well. But some of that is also the extremes ORE goes to. Healing takes a week and surgery, or a couple seconds with a superpower. Roll two 10s with a gun? You likely just killed a dude, unless they decided to opt out of taking damage. It's a game that needs a lot of player-gm agreement. But that's my own sad story. Instead let's talk about the conversion rules.

There are three pages. It's important to note that, the conversions only take three pages and a bit of that is extra words, the first third of the page tells us high power = 250 medium = 175 points and low power = 100 points. Powers should have a flaw (not a problem with my group). Base creation is done with height being important and the GM can put penalties if they wish.

Goals should be built as powers.

Loot still has the bulk rule and converts 10:1 (after selling but not said here).

Power interactions work pretty easy, you take the cost of the new power and that's the burn, then use the table here the burn goes 1-5 then to 10 and then by 10s for more severe. The table's a bit less harsh than the FATE one, at 31 points you're dead but you can do a lot in Wild Talents with 30 points (Ignore Burn, U: 2 Endless +3, self only -3, 2/dice).

We have consequences which cost 2, 1 or 0 base will and positive consequences which cost 3 and don't seem terribly useful. But you're limited to one at a time, even though most of them seem permanent.

And that's the whole thing.

So the conversion being short is a bit important because of how few rules Base Raiders adds to the genre. We have bulk, loot, and burn mostly. Bulk and loot also more or less stay unchanged, a dude can carry 20, Doctor Doom's armor is worth a lot of loot which you sell at a ?:1 ratio then convert to money units at 10:1.

Same with base creation, the PCs name an aspect, the GM names one and then the PC's roll dice and try to name more. When I ran it I houseruled and rolled the GM's dice, between a 4d and 8d pool, and if I beat the winning PC's roll I got to mess with it. But this system is also pretty self contained.

So far so good. I could do base creation and loot in Heroes Unlimited, but then I'd be playing Heroes Unlimited.

So the snags come with goals, burn, and power interaction.

Goals get wonky, I guess something like “Replace the Ideal as global super heroes” would be Useful: 2 and Radius+10 ish with booster let's say booster +6 so it's 18 a dice and I want it to be 6 dice or 104 points. But I'm not sure if that's the best way. Things are a bit easier with creating things such as the cures AIDS pill which is U: 2, endless+3 one use -4 focus -1 adaptation (it's a pill) -1 manufacturable +2 or 2/dice, make it 2hd which costs 8 base will or 24 points and I've done it. If I put delayed effect -2 on it the cost halves to 4 base will so pretty cheap I can then replace one use -4 with self only -3 and it's still cheap.

I'm not sure that's the best way to do goals though. I'm kind of tempted to take the power diagram and just do the goal point cost in FATE and use that number rather than deal with all the costs, the milestones are assuredly the same (milestone tables appear on Savage Worlds and Mutants and Masterminds conversion sheets). In fact that's what I'm suggesting for Wild Talents at least, just use the FATE sheet to make goals and their costs. I think it may be just easier this way.

Burn, power interaction and consequences are all connected so here we are talking about them:

I think that the main problem with using this for Wild Talents is the uneven power distribution. I can opt out of stability checks with 4hd in stability for 8 points (in FATE I'd need willpower at godlike +4 which is horribly costly). But I can fly reliably at under 60mph for 16 points (U:2 duration+2=4/dice, 2hd=16 points*) one of these will burn the hell out of me and one won't whereas in FATE I can fly for 2 points (Move+unusual) and speed up with tier, as well as a few other powers piggybacking to get that sweet tier action. So what I'm saying is it's better for the GM to do all the power designing so things stay with similar price to benefit.

The interaction tables are fine, more or less a port of the FATE tables wheres let refresh=base will. They work well enough though the big one is the variable cost of powers.

The interaction rules are fine as well, a few of the consequences seem heavier than others and some seem more like intrinsics, so I think you can double dip in horrible transformations if you want.

Oh, and totally untouched was the whole source/permission part. When I ran it I told everyone their source was “Base Raider” and their permissions were “Depends on Powers Gained.” But if you toss on a source (5points) and permission Power Theme (5 points) you wind up with 10 burn per new power, options for 10 burn are: Strained (-1d body) and Miscibility (one consequence) so it's not bad but kind of rough needing 100 money units which means 200-1000 loot points just to pay off the permissions.

The positive consequences don't work out too well (to me) either, one costs 3 base will (9 points) and lets you combine two powers to generate a new effect, so it's more or less letting you create a new power but doesn’t say what pool to use for it. The suggestion was an attack power getting Wiggle Dice and spray which is pretty cool point wise. And this idea is good, it's just that it works better in FATE where the game assumes you'll spend points to mess with things. The other lets you get one more power burn free and it doesn't list a cost. So the first is a cool idea without any need for the execution and the second seems like a quick fix. You can have one ever unless you lose a power and the attached benefit.

*cheaper really since all powers need a flaw.

Man, this came out a lot more negative than I intended. The news here is supposed to be good, loot and bulk are fine, base building is fine, goals are better taken from FATE rules. It's just the points getting squiggily. But if you're playing Wild Talents you and your group already have an understanding/cease fire/are grown-ups who can act thusly and it's not much of a deal. The real bummer is that the positive consequences aren’t anything special.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
So we're moving along towards the end. And now it's the stretched goal from the kickstarter, “The Zombie Factory.”

It's a big one, from the cover and all as well as the story Pariah and the goal sections of several of the pre-gens: he built Fetch, he's got a MacGuffin Iconoclast wants and he cured the disease that threatened Emily's sister.

It's been abandoned for a year, full of crazy clones, robots and zombies. It's built to be hard to escape but that won't last forever, and it's got stuff in it people might want. You can find it chasing Biomancer's creations, he apparently was the dude who invented Boost Patches, and finding a source of those would be worth a good bit of forever money. He was also up to all sorts of shady stuff and following those might get here as well. In theory you could do this with Pilgram if exposing Ideal wrongdoing was a part of getting his help. It could also hold clues to Ragnarok in the form of data.

So the base has gone a bit further into Lord Of The Flies and it's up to the PCs to find it, defuse the danger, deal with the threats and sell the sweet sweet goodies inside.

We start with Biomancer, the Ideal hero who built all this. He was really smart but didn't get along with others on the team. He (in secret) picked up an invulnerability to mind stuff but it came with reducing his empathy. Now a model Vulcan he decided that perfect humans would make a perfect society and if he made a bunch of perfect humans to run shit it'd be great. Then he built a big base somewhere (remote mountains are suggested). Over the years he kept changing his mind about what a perfect human should be and thus his project didn't finish before Ragnarok.

The description for him is pretty good though still a bit vague, we get his costumes over the years and such, all the things PCs might find with a Wikipedia search. It's all vague enough that he could be Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent or Guy Incognito depending on what you built him to be in your own campaign.

Then it's satellite bases, each with a purpose and often monitored by cloned scientists who teleport back and forth. There are many of these, a New York one to collect DNA, an Amazon rainforest one to let out and monitor creations etc. Design more to fit what you want in your game.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
Let's finish this a bit quicker. The base is five levels but level one is kind of secret. It's the only one you can use to escape without godhacking the teleporter. But you've gotta hack the teleporter to get there so...

Anyhow the four main levels have places for training, testing, storing, freezing people and sciencing. Plus the Primordial Engine which is a big old plot device, the kind you need to set a goal to understand and use and then might be too much for the game world anyway what with it being able to create new life, imbue powers, cure/cause diseases etc.

The floors are well enough laid out and the flow through the base is pretty well managed. The main opponent at first is the security AI who's programed to keep people in. It'll try to catch the PCs and has a few robots on each floor so it can always show up if needed.

The other enemy is Death Token from the NPC section. But if you don't want to use him he's lost in the cryostorage section.

And then it's choices. How do you want the base to be? Pristine? With the robots cleaning it up waiting for Biomancer? A one-shot terror dungeon where Death Token has spawned oodles of super zombies? A mini dictatorship where one of the cloned scientists has taken over and is cheerfully studying science! Or maybe warring factions and mini-kingdoms with a lot of clones locked in stalemate. (“The kingdom of Hawking demands longer fabber access from the fiefdom of Sagan.”)

And that's it. The base is there, the physical parts and security AI are written out, a few crazy clones and a lot of possibilities. It's a good base but a little of the serious side. It works with most styles of game and in large or small roles.

And that's the book. There's a bit more, the character sheet needs a few words and I'll do the Boost Patch supplement as well because it's cool. Plus thoughts about the game and book in general.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
Yi-nash-Yog-Sothoth-he-lgeb-fi-throdog-Yah!

Well, it's been quite a long time.

I even found some notes that I never posted the first time I was WIRing this. Not sure why I ran out of caring. Anyhow, this year Ross posted a whole Base Raiders campaign. And I'm getting a scenario ready for DunDraCon, I hope. And I ran a campaign in FATE a year or so ago. So I'm back at the book also thinking about other systems. With all that going on I might as well finish the book and put up some of the thoughts I've had on the game and systems.

Here is the stuff I never posted.
But let's talk about the character sheet. It's okay but I think the gift and tier benefits sections should be swapped (tier benefits can take a lot of room and the gifts that do, companion, might want their own section.) There should be more room in the consequences section since they can come and go pretty easy. I'd have liked lines on the sections but it works without as well.

It's fine as it is but the backs of the paper are getting a lot of use.

Yeah, I guess that was small enough that I'd forget to come copy paste it in. Anyhow here's the newer stuff now that I've had three years to simmer on it. (Wow that's a long time, I wasn't a father when I wrote this and my daughter is talking and asking for things now. Like a person, not even a baby.)

So thoughts on the game.

It's open, the different campaign styles offered up are good but they ought to be closer to the PC creation section or even in the world now part. You can mix and match them pretty freely and they'd be good centerpieces when you're doing character creation and starting a campaign.

I like the openness and the big ideas, it's a good way to do supers. I think it gets hurt a bit by the nonspecifics in a few points. The lack of an NPC list (not stats or anything) is one.

The loot part isn't termed out as well as it should be, mostly the three step process of loot sold at ?:1 ratio then converted to money units at 1:1 and 10 money units being a skill point. It's a bit messy and ill defined. I think it mostly needs another name, so loot points turn into money units and money units turn into skill points is the fix I use.

The tiers are really good at making a line for challenges. Like three Superhuman level folks trying to catch an Ascendant level thing is pretty even and requires the players to get creative. However when the tiers become the same it's all business as usual and a little underwhelming. Also when you add in the benefits, the tiers cam become more important than anything else.

(One of the RPPR games had a character explaining to the other players that he was pretty sure he could kill all the enemies because he was 1 or 2 tiers above them. He was kind of right.)

Which leads to the skill balance problem. In the early game it's okay to have a couple of super skills. But if you go up past that, it's infinitely cheaper to try and put everything into one skill. Math wise, one refresh = 5 skill points, so if trappings can be added for less than 10 to another skill it makes a lot of sense to collapse them and avoid having to find the extra refresh for each skill.

Another thought is that there's a perverse incentive to design powers that make small jumps on the trappings chart. If you can add Willpower to your punching skill you don't have to pay to cross any lines. Same with your social standing skill also including shoot. Saves a lot of points.

Mathing it a bit here, it's 1, 2, or 4 refresh for the tiers (Extraordinary, Superhuman, and Ascendent) If you have two skills each costing say 11 points, you'll need 22 skill points and 2, 4, or 8 refresh. But if you put them together for a cost of say 30 skill points you'll only need half the refresh and be saving points by the time you hit Superhuman. Some of the sources like the one that gives you energy blasts one you to spend your refresh on just a couple of trappings.

Next thought, a lot of the sample skills are really high costing. I think the biggest one is around 29 points? That's all but one of a high power player's starting pool. Within FATE I think the skills needed to be a bit closer in cost – comparing for effect. Though you can modify them a bit and a few had some really big point sinks on them.

The Burn rules are a bit beyond what I'd like. Paying refresh to take complications seems an odd use of a limited resource, one already spent on powers and gifts. I think it kind of encourages people to start at the higher power tiers with 10 refresh instead of a more (to me) reasonable 6. Especially with what I just said about powers gobbling up refresh so fast.

Similarly the book needs a bit about making up your own burn consequences.

Character creation is a bit odd too. But some of this is just me. I prefer to start by making a normal person and just partition some number of points off for super skills. Then make the super power as a package. This is just a different preference I have for less holistic creation.

I have some thoughts on the powers and skills but those go in the next post because I want to talk about how things play/make in FATE vs ORE and thoughts on that.

Similarly the book needs a bit about making up your own burn consequences.

Character creation is a bit odd too. But some of this is just me. I prefer to start by making a normal person and just partition some number of points off for super skills. Then make the super power as a package. This is just a different preference I have for less holistic creation.

Man this book needs an index.

I have some thoughts on the powers and skills but those go in the next post because I want to talk about how things play/make in FATE vs ORE and thoughts on that.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
So ORE and FATE are all fine systems. I like each and both work fine. But..........

Yeah. In ORE it's mostly my fault. The players and I got into a cold war and it went hot really quick. Most of the fixes didn't hold as well or felt same-y. Capping hard dice and wiggle dice and limiting HAR.

But on to the system. There aren't too many skills and the powers are really modular. Mostly I like the hyperskills and how those serve as both semi-powers and can grow out of hand to surpass most miracles if you're not careful. Also that they're pretty cheap so it's easy to load someone out with them without giving up everything else.

Were I doing a pulpy style of game I'd be all over ORE here, with the skills + extras, HD/WD and a few lower key miracles (LAR) and such it'd be pretty easy to use. Giving different people different abilities without going into full gonzo in the powers.

Things that I didn't like were the healing rules, instantly with miracles or forever and surgery without. Otherwise the combat always runs into problems with HD making quick deaths real easy. I've heard that expert dice help with this.

The stability skill is a tax more than anything else, the price for failure is so high that you're asking for a bad time if you don't get this up to at least 5-6d.

Finally I was never a huge fan of the permissions rules but those were easily circumvented by adding the new one called Base Raider where you can buy any power you could steal, buy, or build and jam into yourself.

On the more Base Raider front, the goal system and Burn rules didn't integrate well. Burn was mostly it being based on base will hits. Goals were just supposed to be made and priced out using the FATE chart. This is kind of fine though. Goals are mostly just a kind of a place for resources to go and a few scenes/adventures.

I do feel that burn needs a bit of an overhaul outside of fate as well as more options in general.

Finally(ish) for the advancement. Characters gain points to spend on new skills or powers, making money off of bases could give you a pretty good jump on these if you didn't have a goal to feed with the extra. I think that were I to be running it again I'd likely stop handing out xp points and adopt a more FATE style system of flat bonuses/changes you could make. With the cash from raiding bases being king of new/advancing powers.

So FATE, Strange FATE to be exact. I can see it as the offspring of ORE when I look. The powers seem to be similarly effects based and a lot of the extras do the same thing. The implementation was different and often I liked it better. ORE has a lot of tables and exacts in it. And those didn't really excite me even though they did tell you exactly how many powers and dice you need to shut off the sun.

There's a slight disconnect between the freewheeling FATE system and the fiddily point spending on strange skills. On a similar note, you find out the strange skills are trying to tell you to specialize. It's really pricy to add shoot to a skill that comes with leap. Otherwise there are some trappings that seem more like gifts such as workspace.

I like the three stress tracks, I think it's a better way to handle stress/SAN than the pass/fail of ORE. The social one is really funny when one person has built around it and nobody else has. Similarly, even a normal person with a lot of points seems like a super power when nobody thought about defending. On the other hand when you forget to get the appropriate defense for one at the tier you live in, you're kind of just going to get slapped around as the GM realizes that you're mind control bait.

Where it shined was the fate points and offering them. Much more than an invoke for dice, it was really fun to just ask a player if they wanted a fate point.

The main thing I disliked in FATE was the less swingy nature of the dice rolls, though the book calls it out which is fair enough. I think it does really emphasize the need for fate points and getting them though.

Otherwise, it's a bit unfun to try and figure out if something should be a skill, gift, or equipment. The other thing is that you're likely starting with 2 refresh because you took more than one strange skill or you took one but had to get “Skilled” a few times to pay for it.

There's also the constant push/pull between armor and weapon bonus. Which seem a bit overkill in that the difference gets exaggerated by power tiers, but that's a good thing too because if really helped the tiers feel different.

So while both systems work well they do very differently. ORE comes off as very fast and lethal with a lot of things being either unstoppable or nonthreatening. FATE has not such an issue as long as you're into the metagame of hoarding fate points, and why wouldn't you be. It's the most fun part. On the other hand ORE's dice give a greater range of chances whereas FATE comes down to skill level and tier a lot more.

For both systems I'd like more options for burn. For FATE more since it's the main/supported one. Or maybe a little sidebar about building custom burn. But that kind of encroaches on consequences. Also I never had a player show any interest in the synergistic powers. Similarly there could be a bar about combining powers between players though not sure how useful that'd be since the GM can do it on the fly easily enough.

Also both systems do have some oddly priced powers in the way that building mind control in ORE turns out to be criminally cheap. Whereas in FATE building a ninja type powerset (next time I'll go into specifics) winds up costing more than making a generic Superman.

So I like them both but I'm not sure that I'm happiest with either.

In my mind I'm really happy with ORE, I love building and tweaking powers and abilities. In practice, like most ecosystems it tends to build and encourage OP builds and hyper efficiency. When I've run ORE it's been a clusterfuck or not bad at all when the GM is building powers to what the PCs want.

In FATE it's pretty much as fun but the numbers always seem odd to me. I find myself still unsure how to manage a good hoard or mass combat and the things like initiative being kind of up to the GM make it a bit too free. I think it's more me than the system. Ex: Ross ran a whole campaign and nobody wound up totally wrecked or mechanically trapped.

Next time we'll talk about the scenario I've run the most, one I wrote as a con game called “Origin Story” wherein our would be world changers step up to get some super powers in a VAN down by a RIVER. I've run it in ORE and FATE and we'll talk about the differences in power creation and game rules on the same scenario.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
So “Origin Story” is a scenario I'm quite happy with. It's designed to showcase the ideas of Base Raiders being about bad or at least poor choices in pursuit of powers and goals. It's part of a whole thing I've scribbled out, the next one is called “Blood In” and is about the sheer nonsense of the Base Raiders world. Eventually “The Sands” is about the huge pile of extensional threats that The Ideal left hanging around.

Short version. The PCs have responded to an ad on Craigslist and are “hired” by a raider going by “Jerry” who will give them powers if they'll just go and clear a base he just learned about. Jerry is a dick, the powers are all semi booby-trapped and the base is home to a deranged wendigo. Jerry will pay the PCs nothing beyond the initial powers, which he reminds them make them criminals and only he can introduce them to the Magical Underground.

The PCs have to (hopefully) talk their way through the “West Philadelphia Happy Cow Processing Center” to get to the base entrance that Jerry has GPS coordinates for. They have to deal with the semi-lobotomized AI who controls only the door and an array of laser guns but wants to be let back in. Inside they have to figure out why the place looks like a last stand. They can negotiate with another raider who got himself locked in the armory and is scared to leave. They can find Destructina's hidden blackmail WMD. There are hidden destruct-o bots that attack. They can find a hook to future lootings in a contact card for Destructina's money man. And they can choose to betray the dickish Jerry for profit or not.

I've run it a bunch of times in ORE and FATE. Both worked fine, Jerry gets betrayed about 2/3rd to 3/4th of the time. But he's a dick and keeps offering them cash to keep an eye on their teammates or to loot any teammate corpses that happen to happen. Plus he's just drinking beer in a van. Sometimes he orders a pizza.

The combat and social parts go pretty smooth, there are two to three fights in the game. One vs the destruct-o bots, which is a mob/minions fight. One vs the wendigo which is a many PC vs one fight and one optional against Jerry or the base raider trapped in there. Both of these are optional and avoidable.

The big difference between FATE/ORE was the PCs vs wendigo. In ORE action advantage is a big thing. One person getting in and wrecking sets can set off a cascade of ruined sets and an inactive wendigo. FATE's auto-dodge/block is pretty nice for this. On the other hand, when the enemy has points in a skill and/or a skill at a higher tier, you have to stockpile fate points.

Other things is the fate points and the way the game kind of discourages failure if you have enough make PCs a bit braver about trying strange nonsense.

Now to the powers and how they worked across systems.

There were five, the first one because it worked so differently is the ninja-cocaine. It was the essential salts of countless ninjas followed by a dozen other people who've used it. Their spirits appear in the vision of the person who snorts it and offer helpful advice and sometimes make demands.

In ORE it was a few hyper stats and a lot of hyperskills with the multiple actions miracle. It worked really well, the PC had a lot of skills, some with extras for combat and the upjumped stats let them get into the super league.

In FATE it was kind of a mess. The various skills (fighting, jumping, running, lying, stealing, sneaking, gossiping, knowing things...) wound up costing so much that it was silly. It was mostly having a few things around the whole chart. It's not exactly a criticism of the game. In that nothing was “broken” as much as the chart was not meant to give so many skills cheaply. You can mitigate some by making them two separate skills and making an odd cross chart thing where each one has some physical and some mental/social ones on it. But the themes get a bit weird.

In later versions I've replaced it with a talisman for one of the Elemental Sabers (magical girls but more on the child soldier side.) It has a lot of the same ideas, a fast striker type power with some stealth. It was a lot easier to do even though it wound up being a bit pricy as well.

To talk about that for a moment. At Superhuman tier it's cheaper to make the swords one skill and the being a magical girl one skill. At Ascendant tier it's cheaper to make all of those one skill with the swords also being a gift.

The other powers translated pretty well. The one that turns you into a lizardman/superman worked well, the evil sorcerer who'd left her soul in a cloak translated (variable effect is a bit easier to use than cosmic power.) The TK mushrooms work well and the head computer/existential crisis translated easily.

In fact. The fate points made them shine a lot more as well as making the downsides funnier/more memorable. Same for the burn. In both systems you lose numbers, but having the consequences there makes it a lot more useful and gets the players in on it.

So the big take away for me from all this is that while the game works in both it runs better in its' native FATE. Mostly for the fate points/consequences interactions of burn and powers.

But for me, FATE is just a bit too loose for a satisfying supers game. On the other hand it's fine for a lot of things, I think that the tiers make it really versatile but I'd want to do it slightly simpler. Maybe by grouping skills? Or I've heard good things about Atomic Robo's version of FATE.

Speaking of which,

The Atomic Robo version uses Modes - which are a grouping of skills. It's in the SRD.
You can make custom modes like Ninja with these skills as part of it Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Stealth, Will. Add in a few mega stunts to boost it.
https://fate-srd.com/atomic-robo/modes
Why thank you. I'll get on that pretty quick. In fact it fits nicely into the next direction for this thread. Which is seeking new systems. Because I got all excited by the MythicD6 thread a while back I've got that to look at too.

So over the next few weeks I'll be translating the game into those two systems and hopefully trying it out on my home group.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
The good news for conversion is that it's pretty easy. You take any supers or supers adjacent game and staple on loot, bulk, burn, and power interactions.

Let's look at these in the general sense.

Of those, bulk stays the same, just give loot a bulk value and an encumbrance value. If the system already has those rules you can use those if you want.

Loot is pretty easy and universal too. You have power sources and things, give each a loot value, you can kind of go by points/cost of things like they do in Strange FATE. Power sources are worth extra, their tier/level/effectiveness depending on the game adds to the total value. You can sell it at a ratio of 1-20:1 depending on how quick you want and how useful it is to convert it to Money Units. Money units convert into skill points at 10:1. If the system prizes skill points they can be more expensive, if they're easy come/easy go they can be cheaper.

If it's not using skill points you'll likely be charging per upgrade or added effect.

Burn is a big one. Again, in a point system you just need to establish how many points reaches a new level of burn effect. The effects from before are pretty consistent, reduced health and reduced bennie/bonus dice at the beginning, getting harsher as you go up. The burn conditions/changes you get can be altered a bit too.

To shorten it down a bit, there are three levels, minor, moderate, and significant. Each tier has some options, several grow with the tiers, such as cosmetic change which grows until it hits grotesque physical change. Some are simple and mechanical, gain a new weakness, lose a trapping, take damage every 24 hours. There are some that you have to have two power sources to do which cycle your powers or make one dominant and the other diminished.

So I'm going to revamp my previous burn comments. Maybe it shouldn't have too much of a connection to the power. So maybe it does work better as a totally unrelated complication getting in your life from your choices.

As I'm going through these I find a lot of things I think of seem more like flaws or complications than something worth adding to the list. So maybe I owe Ross an apology.

Anyhow, next up is the Atomic Robo thoughts. Because it's really neat. I've only done a cursory google search but I haven't seen anyone showing their work on changing it to an explicit super hero game. I think that's the main thrust as well as looking at how the characters just start out so competent. It's really easy to start with as skill at max level.

Which reminds me, also from RPPR I remember there was an Atomic Robo actual play that was pretty good. At the time I did notice that the GM was setting the target numbers really high. But looking at it now, when someone starts out at +4, making the target number 6 isn't saying “You are trying to do something incredible.” It's saying “I want this to be a 50/50 roll.”

Top Bottom