• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro WIR Base Raiders

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
So Atomic Robo, it's built for a different style of game, ultimately. But not that different. It has the aspects and fate points which is the biggest draw for me. I really like the mode system. But. I'm not sure it's the right fit for this. It limits people to three skill/power things which discourages rampant power adding. Also it lets you start with really high numbers. Lastly I really like the tiers and the “Absolute” mega-stunt isn't quite there for it.

Looking at what I want/like that are in Robo:
-A strong narrative focus with the push/pull of compels and invokes.
-Some level of crunch in design. The modes do this for me and I like them and the skill costs and design are a lot easier than the chart from Strange FATE.
-The stunts are pretty easy and more or less just gifts though sidekick is gone.
-The aspect structure is pretty good and a bit more “honest” with them being tied directly to your modes. (In Base Raiders you start with human aspects and overwrite a few. It's good in you deciding how you changed but a bit silly when you're erasing things you spent time on halfway through session one.)
-I like the four things skills can have a lot more than the trappings.
-The way it's set up you don't have to spend your stunt/gift on “Skilled” instead of making something unique or interesting for your character.

Things that aren't:
-Power tiers to differentiate abilities as well as establish difficulties easily.
-A way to do powers without stunts/mega-stunts.
-I really like social stress. The best example I can think of for this is the dance off from the RPPR game. On the one hand you can replicate it with stress but it's nice to have its' own place.
-There are a few skills left out for Base Raiders, wealth etc. Also the science skill needs to be changed back to a more background skill. [Less something bad and more procedural for a game change.]

So, here's my theory/idea for the first adaptation test.
A skill section as in Strange FATE where the PCs have the ladder of skills etc going from +1-+4.
Add a few more skills (science, wealth, variable for powers)
Modes replacing powers/strange skills. Giving them the extras and drawbacks from Strange FATE.
Tiers kept and added to the modes. Same refresh cost.
One free stunt for all.
Let's say 20 points to buy skills with and 6 refresh for everyone.
For the moment I'll just paste in burn as is.

And that's kind of where I am now. I'll convert some PCs over and give it a shot this or next week.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this I'd really appreciate it. As I'm blindly flailing around here.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
Here's a long one, it's the same thing in three systems, Strange FATE, Atomic Robo, and their shambling lovechild.

Okay, so here's a PC for the game I'm running built out in Strange FATE: She was built on 20 points and 6 refresh. I gave her skilled an extra time to pay off some burn and she's on her third game now. She's been raising her striker skill but should soon be burn free. Eventually turning one of those skilled gifts into something more interesting.

Short version, she's a struggling Silicone Valley startup person who's decided to turn to base raiding to create the next big thing. She picked up the Quicksilver Earrings which let her turn into a magical girl. The earrings snag is that the magical girl transformation is more of like being an antibody than a person and when transformed she's much calmer and very sociopathic.

Dana St. Claire, failed tech startup, going big or going home

Aspects
Background: [Normal Human] Here to overcome
Archetypes: [Super Soldier] Addicted to the rush
Conviction: I'm going to change the world
Conviction (Major-2): I'm unstoppable, you're meat
Free: Ready to give a TED talk
Free: Fail Faster
Free: Depositing in the favor bank/ Magical Killer (transformation)
Burn: Untrained power: Striker Saber

Skills
+4 Technology
+3 Contacting
+2 Academics, Presence, Striker Saber
+1 Athletics, wealth, Endurance

Burn: 1
Gifts: Skilledx2
Refresh (6-4) 2
Stress Tracks
Health OOO
Composure OOX (O, Armor 2 when transformed)
Reputation OOO OO

Skill Focus: Quicksilver Earrings
These earrings are long silvery and blade shaped. They allow the wearer to assume the mantle of Saber Mercury, violent blur of justice and love.
Striker Saber
18 skill points, superhuman -2 refresh
Initiative [physical] (2), leap (1) x1 Move+unusual+range 1 (3) Dodge+unusual [land in a different zone] (3) x2 stealth (1), x3 Strike+Spray (2), Parry (1) Willpower (1) x2 Menace (1), Information (23)
Focus (Minor-1)
Transformation (Minor-1) Replaces one aspect with “Magical Killer”
Traumatic-1

Mercy Blades (Equipment, 1 refresh)
Well made: +1 to all attacks with them
Deadly: +1 damage

There, she's a few games in, a perfectly functional character about to get her mind and body back from the burn. She's able to murder only when transformed but capable in most other ways all the time.

So let's try her under my first conversion way:

Dana St. Claire, failed tech startup, going big or going home

Aspects
Concept: [Normal Human] Startup dreams
Drive: I'm going to change the world
Power: (Major-2): I'm unstoppable, you're meat

[So here I cut the aspects down a bit, one more than Robo and one less than Base Raiders. I added Drive instead of trouble. Mostly because trouble is easy to get from the power aspects. How I'm seeing this is you have your core, drive, Archetype, and three free. As you get modes they overwrite your free aspects. I'm thinking of ditching the archetype for something else.]

Skills: We're keeping the Strange FATE skill idea while migrating to the four part skills from Robo.

She had:
+4 Technology
+3 Contacting
+2 Academics, Presence, Striker Saber
+1 Athletics, wealth, Endurance

I'm saying each skill costs its' level between 1 to 4 and obeys the skill ladder example. Robo gives us: Athletics, Burglary, Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Science, Stealth, Vehicles, and Will.

This is pretty comprehensive though the Science skill needs some work. From Base Raiders we have a lot of skills. Most of them are covered in the Robo skills with many of them collapsed into the smaller list. The skills I'd add are: Resources, Art, Arcana, and Survival. Otherwise I'd take Science and suggest adding different tags to it so it no longer starts as all from astrology to zoology.

So let's rebuild her

+4 Science (Computers)
+3 Contacting
+2 Empathy, Rapport, Deceive
+1 Athletics, Resources, Physique

It's still 16 points. She still gets an extra physical stress box and I took her strange skill out. She's very good at computers, knows a lot of people and gets along with them, she's not broke and in good shape. She's a bit less versatile without the Academics to know things, that might be a thing to re add to the list.

Let's build her strange skill. It started as:
Striker Saber 18 skill points, superhuman -2 refresh
Initiative [physical] (2), leap (1) x1 Move+unusual+range 1 (3) Dodge+unusual [land in a different zone] (3) x2 stealth (1), x3 Strike+Spray (2), Parry (1) Willpower (1) x2 Menace (1), Information (23)
Focus (Minor-1)
Transformation (Minor-1) Replaces one aspect with “Magical Killer”
Traumatic-1

So building this into a mode we have:
Athletics (2), Combat (2), Notice (1), Provoke (1), Stealth (2), Will (1). Total 9 so far.
Let's add unusual to Athletics, run on anything (Yes, this is also megastuntable but we're not using that). Let's add another unusual to athletics for scary fast. Lastly we add unusual to combat since she can close distance all but instantly and her dodges can take her far away. We're at 12.
I'm keeping the same flaws on it so we've got: Focus -1, Transformation -1, and Traumatic -1
I took out Conviction because the new way changes one aspect.
So it costs 9 points. Since I'm still on the tiers it's at Superhuman for 2 refresh. We'll say it's at +1 right now.

Equipment is just a stunt.
Mercy Blades (Personal Hardware, 1 refresh)
+1 to attack with them
Weapon: 2

That's a total of 25 points. We started her with 20 and she's two games in so let's say her burn is at 2.

She looks like:

Aspects
Concept: [Normal Human] Startup dreams
Drive: I'm going to change the world
Power: (Major-2): I'm unstoppable, you're meat

Skills
+4 Science (Computers)
+3 Contacting
+2 Empathy, Rapport, Deceive
+1 Athletics, Resources, Physique

Mode, Striker Saber +1
Athletics + Unusual: run on anything, scary fast, Combat + Unusual: cover distance, Notice, Provoke, Stealth, Will.

Mercy Blades (Personal Hardware, 1 refresh)
+1 to attack with them

Refresh: 3 (6-2-1)

Burn: 2

Stress
Physical 000
Mental 0X (00X)

That was a bunch of procedure but it did produce a character. The different system makes them a bit more fragile in that Robo kind of assumes you'll have the skills that increase your boxes, likely a couple of times. Otherwise it's kind of samey but I feel that the powers were a lot easier to slop together.

Now let's try to do this in direct Robo:

Aspects
Retroactively filling in.
Concept: Startup Raider
Good mode: I can change the world
Fair mode: Fail Faster
Average mode: I'm unstoppable, You're meat
Omega Aspect: Addicted to the rush

Modes:
I'm building most of them because I want to build things.

Good +3 Science
(all science, will) (cost 3) (Will is +4, Science: Computer programming is focused +4)
Fair +2 Startup Escapee
(Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice, Provoke, Rapport, Resources) (Cost 10) (Notice and provoke are +3, Rapport is focused +3 )
Average +1, Striker Saber
Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Stealth, Will. (Cost 10) (Combat is specialized +3, athletics is focused +2)

Stunts:
Mega-Stunt: Scary fast (Only when transformed, 3 benefits)
-Absolute advantage on Athletics
-Always act first
-Can Run on anything
Cost: Out of control when transformed

Mega-Stunt: Hunter of evil (Only when transformed)
-Shockproof (immune to mental stress from violence etc.)
-Can see spirits to strike them
Cost: Mental stress comes crashing at her when she turns back.

Mercy Blades (Personal Hardware)
+1 to attack with them

Burn: 0?
Stress
Physical 00
Mental 0000

So it's a bit harder to add burn directly but here we go, a character. I don't know as much about Robo's rules and play to know if I missed an important skill but she seems to be up to most challenges. At some point Striker Saber would swap with Startup Escapee. Given that her will roll comes from her science skill the traumatic drawback/idea where the mental stress comes back at her when she's not in murderous magical girl mode won't be such a big deal. Similarly I'm not sure what other stunts to give her, she's got the gear and the two mega-stunts for when she transforms.

It's fine but the burn isn't really workable in this version and she'll become socially incompetent if she ever picks up another power and gets a new mode. Also I really wanted to add athletics or physique to a skill to get her another stress box. She's kind of fragile and not very good at combat even with her mega-Stunts.

Last edited:

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
Okay, so playtest notes.

The transfer is pretty easy. I turned tier benefits into stunts which I charged a refresh for after the first.

It worked fine, not special but fine. The modes work but I'm thinking of changing them again into large skills with all the capacities added. They wound up being a bit cheaper than I'd want but if the PCs had a bunch of skills they work out fine as well. I think I'll try out making the powers as one skill with the various things all just as extra capacities. Similar to the Telekenesis power in the book. Though that might come out too cheap as well.

Maybe I'm just trying too hard when the answer is I don't love the power diagram from Strange FATE?

As for things missing or needed, I want social stress back, it leaves a noticeable hole to me and limits the options for conflict more than I want.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
So I'm gearing up for a new campaign. I think I'm going to try giving a few more skill points and adjusting the costs for some of the Burn.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
There is no limit to how many times I’ll necro this to talk to myself. So the campaign is over, the players having moved to Thailand, Canada, or schedule conflicts. I got a good three months though. And I’ve learned things:

The skills are fine, it’s obnoxious trying to add a full power to a starting PC and I’m still not crazy about the burn consequences cost structure. Same for the flaws being so minor point wise. The best example being transform, it takes the power away for a good chunk of the game but at 1 point it’s really easily bought off. Which is off theme but so cheap to gain a lot of benefits always instead of sometimes.

The whole effects based system is good, but players not invested in the system will forger to spend two points on swimming for their super soldier package and get pissy when they start to drown. on The other hand I feel a bit more empathetic towards Aaron in the Gate 9 audio game trying to do things his power isn’t stated to do. In the future I’ll be tempted to toss a variable effect with some snags on more powers to catch this.

Otherwise I think some kind of package deal on skills, say athletics where you can get all the trappings at a small discount might be good. Or giving each skill one theme where some lines on the diagram can be ignored?

And on a non rule thing, I have trouble with players not buying into the core (to me) of the game, which is that in Base Raiders you asked for this. Because you want to change the world. This is mostly a personal one as I have a manifesto and I don’t want any other way. It’s my problem, nothing on the game. As a result I’m writing a bunch of intro scenarios now, when I finish I’ll see if Ross wants to put’em on the site. If he does I’ll necro this again.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
I've been following along! So it sounds like Atomic Robo doesn't really work well for the Base Raiders idea of adding superpowers piece by piece as they find loot in hidden bases? You could still do something like a one-shot but that's not much different than any other superhero game.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
I've been following along! So it sounds like Atomic Robo doesn't really work well for the Base Raiders idea of adding superpowers piece by piece as they find loot in hidden bases? You could still do something like a one-shot but that's not much different than any other superhero game.
Yeah, the limit of three modes works really well for Robo or SG-1 but not as well for how base Raiders works. The big thing is over competence and having only three slots. I am interested in divorcing tier benefits from skills, which Robo does well with stunts.

A lot of my concerns are resource management at higher tiers. Where getting a skill bumped up becomes a bigger deal but the refresh price means you want a bunch of trappings vs adding something to an existing skill. It’s kind of an economic incentive.

Last edited:

furashg

Validated User
It was pre Fate Core so I'm not sure if it would be changed to just Fate with special dials

Top Bottom