• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIR] Gamma World, first edition (1978)

DavetheLost

Validated User
Powered assault armor rapidly gained the nickname of "full powered insult armor" in our group. I think it started as a slip of the tongue, but it stuck because you could safely insult just about anything you wanted while wearing a suit.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Locomotion:
Anti-grav flight of 250 meters/melee turn. (Does this mean that the wearer can conceivably keep going up and up and up, 250 meters every 10 seconds? Seems like it).
Never really considered using scout armor as a orbital vehicle, but it should work. Though 25 m/s isn't very fast. It works out to 90 km/hr, or 56 mi/hr. With a 54 hour flight time, that means a scout suit pilot could travel 4,860 km, or 3020 miles. Directly up, that's enough to reach medium orbit, or low Earth orbit if you want to return.

Here's a quick summary of the derived speed and range for the various armors.

Scout
  • Speed: 90 km/hr (56 mi/hr)
  • Range: 4,860 km (3,020 mi)
Battle
  • Speed: 36 km/hr (22 mi/hr)
  • Range: 1,728 km (1,074 mi)
Attack
  • Speed: 54 km/hr (34 mi/hr)
  • Range: 2,268 km (1,409 mi)
Assault
  • Speed: 72 km/hr (45 mi/hr)
  • Range: 3,456 km (2,147 mi)
Honestly, the armors need better names. We could never keep them straight.

(which is apparently extremely close in value to imperial tons, or as we call them in my neighborhood, “plain, ordinary, regular, old-school tons”).
Long tons, short tons, or displacement tons? :)

That 8d6 punch is impressive, though.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Imperial (or rather US Traditional, the Imperial system isn't formally used anywhere these days AFAIK) tons are short.
It's the long ton that's also known as the imperial ton, but I wasn't being serious. It was a tongue in cheek way of pointing out that ton could mean (and still does mean) a ton of different things.

Dalillama

Validated User
Around here, long tons are metric tons, short tons (usually just tons) are American tons.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
That's unusual usage. Long tons are closer to metric tonnes than short tons, but they all have different origins and definitions.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Inertia Armor (AC2)
Inertia armor is the first armor we've seen (and the only one of the defensive armors) to feature a force field. The force field is described as “partial”; the text gives us the following details: “The partial force field generated in this unit will protect the wearer from black rays, radiation, poison gases, etc. but absorbs only one half of all damage sustained (up to 25 hit points maximum absorption per melee turn).” (By the way, if I were a player wearing this armor, I'd damn well want to know what that "etc" covers).
The line you quoted is probably the most curious in the entire section. That's a long list of immunities, and it's all attributed to a "partial" force field. But while inertia armor is the only defensive armor with a force field of any kind, all of the offensive armors also have force fields, and they're full not partial. So it's reasonable to suppose that the powered scout, battle, attack, and assault armors also share that list of immunities.

Though the 4 offensive armors were presumably immune to gas anyway, because they all have life support systems with self-contained oxygen supplies good for 72 hours. And the black ray reference is a bit odd. The attack matrix says that black rays have a 40% chance of affecting AC 2, and a 35% chance of affecting AC 1. But while there are some class 2 armors without force fields, all the class 1 armors have full force fields, so by that logic the chance should be 0%.

Though that brings the discussion around to lasers. Lasers have an unusual property, the first attack against AC 2 is deflected, and the first two attacks against AC 1 are deflected. It's unclear if this is the first attack(s) per weapon, per combat, ever, or whether something has to be done like polishing the armor to reset this deflection ability. But it's a weapon property, not an armor property, and the list of AC 2 and 1 armors is fairly heterogeneous, so what does it represent? While all those armors are powered, there is also an AC 3 powered armor (powered plate), so it's not a property of powered armors. It's also not a property of force fields, because two AC 2 armors lack force fields, one has a partial force field, and two have full force fields. So what causes the deflection? The most reasonable conclusion that fits the data is it's an advanced armor property, which was incorporated into all the armored suits, except for very early models (i.e. AC 3 powered plate).

Although, as I suggested before, the percentages on the attack matrix don't really match the heterogeneous armors associated with each of the various classes very well. So it's quite likely they had one specific armor in mind when they added the laser property. If we assume the armor they used to model armor class 2 was inertia armor, it's possible that deflecting lasers was supposed to be a property of force fields. Partial force fields, like the AC 2 inertia armor, deflect 1 shot; and full force fields deflect 2. If we use this interpretation, we can also say the deflection power is replenished when you stick in a new set of batteries, though that's a gamist not a realistic call.

randlathor66

Validated User
The art for the power armor that came in the Gamma Knights mini-battle boxed set was awesome, and I love using it for power armor of other games. It had a distinctive "insectoid" look to the helmets, and you really could see the difference in each of the types of armor. To someone who knows how to put images in their posts, please find them and do so, they are really cool.

Top Bottom