• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[WIR] TMNT/After the Bomb/Road Hogs

Dalillama

Validated User
The old-school first edition stuff, almost. My copy of TMNT is the revised edition. I was going to just do after the bomb, but decided to cover the main book too, since it's not that long, it contains the actual rules, and I have a copy.
TMNT
Introduction:

The introduction is a third of a page and tells us that there's lots of anthropomorphic (or just talking) animals in comics, and 'Students of Japanese art' will have seen various anthropomorphic animals there. (I think he's just read too much Usagi Yojimbo, but can't swear to that)
This game doesn't Just let you make Ninja turtles, you can make all kinds of animals. Also a plug for Heroes Unlimited for non-mutant animal characters. He says that the animal list isn't complete, it can't be, he used ones common where he is.

Random Character Generation
The Bio-E point buy system is allegedly controversial. Random rolling other stuff is good because you have to roleplay harder, generating NPCs is faster, and sometimes the univers just isn't fair, and random rolls reflect that. All of this is debatable of course, but thats the premis of this game.

HOW TO PLAY A ROLEPLAYING GAME:
IMAGINATION!
And also some polyhedral dice. We're told to picture a scene, like a waiting room with chairs a clock reading 3:00, and nighttime out the window. Then a setting, which is a half-man half-bat waving a pistol at the janitors demanding money.(that's backwards, but no matter). Picture yourself there, only you're a ninja turtle! What now?

Glossary
Attributes, Campaign, Character, Death(Superheroing is dangerous, you might die, don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. Ah, the days of the Satanic Panic...), Dice, Game Master, Player, RPG, Roll a twenty-sided (I think people can figure that out on their own...), Roll Percentile, Run a game, saving throw, and Scenario (adventure was the more common term even then)

Next up: creating a character.

Last edited:

Kettlehelm

Validated User
Recently got this, didn't like how Palladium crammed in everything after the mirage split.

I am always looking out for rules on quickly rolling up new npcs, rather than choosing skills and powers for each.

NinjaWeasel

Both Cute and Stealthy
Validated User
Ah yes. The first RPG I bought with my own money. So many games of this played.
Yep, this was the same for me. My first two RPGs (apart from a few homebrewed sessions based on the Fighting Fantasy system) were BECMI Red Box and GW's Judge Dredd box set. The former I found disappointing, and never really clicked with my friends upon playing it either, and the latter I could never get my friends interested in at all. Then I picked up TMNT and everything fell into place. I think we might all have given up on RPGs if it weren't for that game. TMNT led to Paranoia, Cyberpunk, WHFRP, MERP, Twilight: 2000, and many others.

Recently got this, didn't like how Palladium crammed in everything after the mirage split.
Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm a little confused when you say "mirage split". Do you mean when Eastman moved on and left the property in Laird's hands? The RPG long predates that and even predates the TV cartoon. I know they included stuff in the sourcebooks from the TMNT/Cerebus crossover (Savanti Romero and Renet were in Transdimensional TMNT I think) and then the TCRI saga (Triceratons etc.) but I don't remember much being included from after that point. So up to around issue 8 of the original Mirage run.

Monkey-x

Validated User
Yeah TCRI and Triceratons are about as far along the comic book series as the official stuff draws from. As soon as After the Bomb came out most books shifted to that post apocalyptic timeline.

NinjaWeasel

Both Cute and Stealthy
Validated User
Yeah TCRI and Triceratons are about as far along the comic book series as the official stuff draws from. As soon as After the Bomb came out most books shifted to that post apocalyptic timeline.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'd have to go into my attic and sort through some boxes to find my copies but I thought the After The Bomb books, while containing new art by various artists who worked on the Mirage comics, were comprised of material created wholly by Palladium.

Looking forward to the Character Creation section. That section of the core book was the bit that lured us all in.

Top Bottom