• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[WIR] TMNT/After the Bomb/Road Hogs

Dalillama

Validated User
I am rather tickled that there's special rules for replica weapons. Think Siembieda had something against LARPers or cosplay?
Nah, rather the opposite. LARPing was a very niche thing at the time, and much of that conceptual space was filled by the SCA. Any member of which would agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment presented (I think it's Wujcek talking there), and some would say he's being generous. 'Wallhanger' or 'sword like object' (SLO) is what reenactors call the kinda swords that are sold for cosplay or decorations, your 'fantasy swords' and replicas of game or movie weapons. They're typically made of stainless steel, which is shiny but not as durable as good carbon steel. This is as opposed to functional or 'battle ready' swords that are made to actually fight (under controlled conditions with lots of safety gear) with. Usually notably more expensive.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Man, looking back with some modern eyes, the Bio-E system is still GOOD but FLAWED. There are tweaks that I'd love to put in there for certain.

DarkMoc

Validated User
Nah, rather the opposite. LARPing was a very niche thing at the time, and much of that conceptual space was filled by the SCA. Any member of which would agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment presented (I think it's Wujcek talking there), and some would say he's being generous. 'Wallhanger' or 'sword like object' (SLO) is what reenactors call the kinda swords that are sold for cosplay or decorations, your 'fantasy swords' and replicas of game or movie weapons. They're typically made of stainless steel, which is shiny but not as durable as good carbon steel. This is as opposed to functional or 'battle ready' swords that are made to actually fight (under controlled conditions with lots of safety gear) with. Usually notably more expensive.
A lot of the wallhangers also have really weak/undersized tangs, so the blade will snap away from the hilt very easily when stressed.

Dalillama

Validated User
Modern Weapon Proficiencies
Apparently this is very different to the original HU/TMNT rules, which are allegedly more realistic but don't play as smoothly. Since I only have the Revised editions myself I can't do a side by side comparison. Those who have are informed that they may use either version at their pleasure. These rules first appeared in a promotional pamphlet meant to update HU before the revised edition came out, but hardly anyone saw that, so really they first appeared in the Robotech RPG (Which I used to own but don't anymore; I don't know what happened to it). These rules can be used with all Palladium games (That'll be fun in PFRPG :p )

Weapon Proficiencies:
Proficiencies are in categories of gun, as we saw back in skills. They give +3 to strike with aimed fire, +1 with burst fire, and +0 for shooting wildly. These increase by 1 at level 4, and every three levels thereafter.* Also includes the ability to maintain the weapon, and a 30% +6% per level (and here is specifies 'level after first', which could be interpreted as settling the debate over whether those per level increments apply at first.) of recognizing weapon quality. (Oddly, ancient WPs don't have this skill, despite there being

*as contrasted with the melee proficiencies, which mostly give +1 to strike and parry at levels 1,4,& 8 only.

Aimed shot: One attack action=one bullet fired. Revolvers get +4, other guns +3 (why do revolvers default to more accurate than rifles?).

Burst: multiple bullets with one action. Can be used with semiautomatic (?), & automatic guns, submachineguns and machine guns. +1 to strike, all bullets hit or miss. (Except that in fact most of them miss, as we shall see)
Bursts or sprays from Automatic weapons and submachine guns (where'd semiautomatic weapons go? or machine guns?)
Short burst: Fires 20% of magazine, does double damage; the given example is 6 rounds from a 30 round magazine, so clearly 4 of them missed. Also, even in the 80s, assault rifles and afaik submachine guns had a standard selector for a 3 round burst regardless of magazine capacity , but that's another issue
Long burst: Uses half the magazine, does ×5 damage.
Entire Magazine: Does ×10 damage, uses two attacks.
The latter two can be aimed at multiple targets using the Shooting Wild rules.

Shooting Wild: This is what happens when you're shooting on the run, dividing your fire, or just stopped giving a shit. Trained people get no penalties or bonuses (guess I was wrong about the increase there), untrained people get -6. Uses 2 attacks, only long bursts or whole magazine. When aimed at one target it sucks: only does ×2 damage and has a 20% chance of hitting an innocent bystander at normal damage. (Assuming there are any, of course; a gunfight in the sewers or a disused warehouse or out in the high Cascades there probably won't be.)

Spraying an area:
Roll to strike the desired area, succeeding on a 5+. hits 1d4 people in the area for normal damage, and a 50% chance of hitting a bystander (Is picturing someone yanked out of bed at 3am to be hit by a stray bullet in an abandoned steel mill :p)

Machineguns (there they are) only use 10% of their ammo on a short burst and can divide it among 1d4 targets for normal damage. A Long burst uses 30% of the magazine for ×5 damage to one target or normal damage to 1d8 targets and only counts as 1 attack. Emptying the magazine takes a full round and does ×20 damage to one target or normal damage to 2d8, with a 70% chance of hitting a bystander.

Shotguns can fire 1 round once or twice a round, or two rounds at a time. (What about pump-actions with only one barrel?). Buckshot will hit 1d4 people besides the target if they're standing nearby (defined as a 15"/3.5m area, which is a rather larger spread than I think shotguns usually have. No mention of other weights of shot).

Natural Energy Blasts have a rate of fire equal to your attacks per round. They probably can't fire bursts, but that isn't specified. Fortunately, none of this matters at all, because nobody in this book has them or any way to get them.

The Actual Guns
(There's a rather more complex description of damage etc. in my copy of HU, but it has the same disclaimer so I guess it's just an expansion; there's a Tissue Damage Rating based on calibre that determines damage dice, a separate Penetration Rating that defines what kinds of materials the bullet can be expected to go through, from 'Poor: deflected by bone' to '.50 calibre: Goes through brick, thin metal'. Then there's a detailed description of various cartridges with both ratings and a buncha trivia, and rules for special bullet types &C). Guns are very specific, none of this 'small pistol' stuff, but have limited variation in stats. Most pistol calibres do 2d6, except .22 (1d6), magnum rounds (3d6), and .45 (4d6). Pistols have a range of 120-150" except the .22 which has 'limited range'. Submachine guns have a 600' range except the 7.65mm model 61 Skorpion, which has a range of 150" and only does 1d8. The Ingram Model 10 is everyone's favourite, with as much range as an Uzi or generic 9mm and an extra damage die.
Assault rifles do 4d6, the M-16 with a 1200" range and the AK-47 at 900" (and twice the price for some reason). Hunting rifles do 5d6 and have a variable range depending on quality. No guidelines are provided. This is the only generic smallarm.

Machineguns are light (5.56mm, .30/7.62mm) or heavy (.50/14.5mm), doing 5d6 or 7d6 out to 3000'. It's generally illegal to have these. There's a note saying an LMG can be emptied in 2 rounds, which contradicts the earlier section.
The only shotgun listed, the Smith & Wesson Model 3000 Police, is a single barreled pump action that cannot fire two rounds at once. It does 4d6 with buckshot and 5d6 with slug.

Lasers, Ion Blasters and Plasma generators
Are an advertisement for Heroes Unlimited. They have 2d6 charges, a range rarely above 150', and do 2d6-6d6 for lasers, 5d6-7d6 for ion blasters and 6d6-12d6 for plasma blasters, depending on size. They're experimental and very hard to come by. See heroes Unlimited for more information.

Next: Equipment

Dalillama

Validated User
Equipment:
Contraband: Anyone can buy illegal goods at three times the price; characters "supplied by Secret Organizations" can get them at the usual prices, because all secret organizations can buy through government channels. And, as written here, I could supply our sample character with half a dozen hand grenades.

Scavenging: Equipment fished out of the trash or the like has a 14% chance of failure anytime it's used, but at least it only costs half the amount (So I could have a dozen failure-prone handgrenades? Fun times!). Those with the right skills can roll to fix it.

Equipment is divided into
Surveillance Equipment: Starts with various kinds of audio bugs (a tie-clip microphone is $15, but I think that was meant to be $150, that's the price range of the rest of the stuff). Some of them have descriptions, some (Low Frequency Converter, Test Transmitter, Additional Transducer, Vibration Pocket Detector, Telephone Induction Unit; several of them I can guess from context, but what on this list do you add more transducers to? What effect does that have? A Telephone Induction Unit sounds like a phone bug, but there's a separate section for them down the page). Two Bug Detectors are included, which both can detect radio transmissions. There are trackers to attach to cars or hide on people. No hidden cameras, but this is the 80s.

Goggles and Binoculars
Include binoculars, monoculars, Light Amplification (Night Vision) goggles, active IR goggles, and a "Thermo-Imager" that allows the user to see through darkness and smoke (That's not how this works...). Those last are fantastically expensive, though, starting at $20000.

Detection Equipment has listings for explosive detectors, radar detectors and motion detectors.

Emotion and Stress Detectors are completely useless, but this is a fictional universe where they aren't. Maybe. Even if they did work on humans, there's no reason at all to think they'd work on mutant animals without a massive recalibration. Also there's a small light for marking something. Why that's in this section I do not know.
Photographic Equipment/Film/Video, and Other Optical Equipment (That's a mouthful). 35mm cameras, film for same (Black and white or colour!), Super 8 cameras and film, and for twice the price a colour video camera that can record onto a VHS (At least I assume that's what a colour camera with mike does)

Computers and Equipment: A basic computer with 64k of memory, floppy drive, and keyboard. Also a black and white or colour monitor, and a very expensive printer. No mention of a mouse anywhere.

Telephone Equipment take about a tenth the space as ways to bug them. A phone, an answering machine, and a tape are here. Also radio equipment in a subheading: Walkie talkies, CB, and police scanners.

Vehicles informs us that a functional generic car is $6000-18000, half that for used, and then lists a bunch of luxury brands and specialty vehicles; motorcycles, a couple boats, some small planes, and three kinds of helicopter. Also here we get SDC listings for vehicles, usually a few hundred for cars.

Clothing is deeply generic, but includes a Speed Suit.

Miscellaneous:
Other Equipment and Gimmicks:A jetpack(!), space ssuit, and magnetized spaceboots.
Lockpicking tools: picks, tension bars, key blanks and a lock opening 'gun' that's only sold to law enforcement. All of these are kinda illegal and you can't just wander into a locksmith's and buy them. Alternately you can skip to brute force with drills and prybars &C.

Body Armour:
Ancient Armour goes from AR 8/15 SDC for padded to AR 16, SDC 50 for plate. Plastic plate weighs a lot less but only has AR 13/80. The stuff's expensive, homemade is half the cost and has -2 AR and -20% SDC. Worth calling out is 'soft leather' AR 9/20, as that category includes things like motorcycle jackets.
Modern armour has AR 10/50-120 for a vest (12 for a vest with inserts) and while a full suit of riot armour is 14/180, and "Class 4 Hard Armour" is 17/280 (What that is I do not know, and the book doesn't say). Modern armour gives no penalty to prowl. Of course, as written here, neither does ancient armour.

Police/Guard Accessories: Flashlights, pepper spray, nightsticks, holsters, handcuffs.

More Miscellaneous Stuff (...) Hand cuffs again, novelty or police, sap gloves give +2 damage with fists, more nightsticks, a phone scrambler, briefcases and a white noise generator that reduces bug efficiency by 30% (of course, there's no rules for what the hell that means).

Additional Weapons (seriously? Were you drinking when you laid this section out?)
Acids: burn, 2d6/4d6 depending on strength.
Explosives: Dynamite, nitro, plastic, gelignite, grenades. No ANFO?

Thoughts: there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the list, although it seems awfully focused on surveillance for some reason. It also makes me feel really, really old. :p

Next: Game Master Section

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I love that it is exactly 14% chance of scavenged equipment failing. Exactly 14%. Palladium games seem full of seemingly arbitrary chances of this or that happen, and always at odd percent. Not really stranger than chances of 20% or 50%, but it indicates a precision, to me, that is... bonkers!

Dalillama

Validated User
So if I don't want to make a super-spy or a ninja, how much does it cost to outfit a TV crew of human-animals? :p
You can't unless there's something for that in Ninjas and Superspies (I don't know where my copy is). Heroes Unlimited has more gun accessories, more surveillance gear, and some outdoors gear that would've been more useful here than 50 ways to bug your lover.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, the gear list is short and focused on killin' stuff.

Palladium is an odd system.

(See also: 14% chance to fail. Or the percent chance to sneak but no percent chance to detect someone sneaking.)

Dalillama

Validated User
Yeah, the gear list is short and focused on killin' stuff.
Focused on killing stuff would be one thing. The focus on audio bugs is kinda weird though. HU has a lot more flavours of killing stuff and a lot more kinds of surveillance...

Last edited:
Top Bottom