• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIR] TMNT/After the Bomb/Road Hogs

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I want to know why someone so interested in mutants is reading up on nuclear physics. I could see giving him top-notch in biology and medicine and zoology and whatnot, and maybe pretty high skills in stuff like robotics and computers and history to show general nerdiness and good education, but the rest of it sounds like someone wrote "All science at max" on an earlier version.

Dalillama

Validated User
Terror on Rural Route 5
This is described as an easy adventure that almost any party should be able to handle. I'm not so sure.
Spoiler: Show

Media Reports:
Unidentified terrorists have siezed a rural school. They are in a standoff with law enforcement, holding 6 teachers and as many as 100 students hostage.

Inside Information:
Police are aware that some kind of half-human half animals with guns. Someone calling himself The Liberator called the governor's office demanding a live news interview at 6 (In order to make sure that it has to go out live on the 6 oclock news. I remember when that was a thing...) as well as food, continued electricity and everyone staying back. News crews are dispatched.

GM Information
Some 17 years ago (sigh...) farmer George Boswitch bought a load of tainted feed that killed all his livestock. Before they died, his cow and dog both gave birth to a single male child, and his sow to 18 piglets. Boswitch got a settlement from the feed company and prepared to drink himself to death. He noticed that the baby animals were developing oddly and planned to sell them to a circus for more money ( I dunno that there were that many circuses in the 80s that still dealt in that type of thing.) Ferd the bull (of course that's his name) developed Hypnotic suggestion and used it to persuade Boswitch that the animals weren't quite ready to sell yet while they grew up. They received their entire education via his TV, and are not altogether clear about which bits were news and which bits were fiction. When Boswitch died, they hid from the assessors and learned from their conversation that the land was due to be auctioned and the buildings demolished. They decided that taking hostages was a good way to get the resources to survive off the farm and set out to do so.

As the adventure begins, Ferd, Buck the dog and six of the pigs have seized the school while the other twelve pigs wait at the farm and communicate via coded phone messages (These are probably utterly worthless codes, given who's making them. Anyone who has some of that fancy surveillance equipment and even basic cryptography skills will be able to crack it in about 30 seconds). At 6:17 PM, Ferd will come out with 6 of the kids to give an interview, demanding $6,000,000 and two helicopters with pilots to take them to a "Remote Northern location" (That seems to keep coming up... why Northern? There's plenty of remote locations in the west and south, many of which are a fair piece more hospitable). If these are not forthcoming by 8 AM, he will kill one hostage per hour until they are delivered. At 9 PM he will release 16 children as a demonstration of goodwill. After that it's just a countdown. A frontal assault is doomed, which is why the police haven't launched one. "This situation calls for Ninja stealth and infiltration." (Gee, I sure hope the party isn't part of the 2/3 of mutant animals who aren't ninjas...). The hostages are in the gym guarded by 3 pigs, except 4 who are in the office with Ferd and another pig. Buck and the other pigs patrol the school. Buck and Ferd are 2nd level, the pigs 1st.

Ferd is a SL 14 bull with partial hands and speech and full biped. He has 1d8 horns, Hypnotic suggestion, WP Axe and Revolver, Prowl and Pick Locks (how the hell did he pick that one up? For that matter, how the hell does he even do that with hands that are still halfway to hooves?). He is Aberrant, believes humans are absolute garbage (perhaps not an unfair assessment if your only exposure to them is TV; unless you run across Mr. Rogers or Sesame Street or something most people on TV are jerks at best), and plans to found a new society of mutant animals as far from them as he can get. (He should hook up with Caesar; they'd get along great). He's not even vaguely capable of such a thing, but he has no real idea of what's involved. He is angry at the world and devoted to saving his fellows from 'humanity's butchers'.
(
)

Buck is an Unprincipled SL 9 hound dog with full hands and biped, partial speech, and advanced smell. He can use a Revolver, Rifle, or Shotgun from his days on the farm, and a submachinegun because I don't know. He has the most knowledge of humanity, because he can wander around town pretending to be an ordinary dog (WTF? How the hell can he do that? He's 5"7' and 155 lbs, which puts him twice the size of the biggest coonhound that ever lived, not to mention he has fucking hands and walks upright! The bodily changes to walk upright all the time mean that he'd look like someone crawling if the tried to walk on all fours.) He also stole all their guns from a National Guard armory somehow. He doesn't really want to go along with the hostage thing, but Ferd has hypnotized him.

The pigs have names that I don't care about. They're all Anarchist, SL 12, and have full biped, partial hands and speech, and advanced hearing. They have no useful skills aside from 1 random WP per pig. The ones at the school are described as pushy, loud, and argumentative, the latter because none of them are terribly certain this is actually going to work and are trying to convince themselves/each other. Interestingly, they actually have the most innate cunning, with an IQ of 14 compared to Ferd's 13 and Buck's 9, and are marginally more charismatic than Ferd as well. One wonders how things would have gone if Ferd wasn't mind controlling everyone.

The Kids have 8 hit points and are likely to panic.

Police Captain Sam Reynolds is partially statted up. He is in charge at the scene and is being hounded for a solution by all kinds of people. He's desperate enough to listen to a workable plan from a different bunch of animal freaks, but if they push too hard for something like a frontal assault he'll just arrest them.

As far as I can tell, the expected resolution is for the PCs to sneak in and ninja everyone to death, but I'm honestly not seeing much of a way to do that without provoking the same type of massacre that a frontal assault would. Literally nobody actually wants that outcome, but the setup basically guarantees that there's going to be a lot of dead kids one way or another. Especially since come 8 AM, there will be a frontal assault because nobody has anything left to lose anymore. And the fact that everyone in the school except the 6 teachers who haven't been mentioned since the beginning is a kid. There's also no indication of what the other 12 pigs plan to do when the school situation goes pear-shaped (or what they're likely to do, since planning isn't anyone's strong point here). Given their total lack of skills or ability to interact socially, whatever happens there is unlikely to be pretty or end well. Yanno, maybe this one is as fucked up as Doc Feral. I mean, damn.

Certified

Validated User
Terror on Rural Route 5
This is described as an easy adventure that almost any party should be able to handle. I'm not so sure.

Media Reports:
Unidentified terrorists have siezed a rural school. They are in a standoff with law enforcement, holding 6 teachers and as many as 100 students hostage.

Inside Information:
Police are aware that some kind of half-human half animals with guns. Someone calling himself The Liberator called the governor's office demanding a live news interview at 6 (In order to make sure that it has to go out live on the 6 oclock news. I remember when that was a thing...) as well as food, continued electricity and everyone staying back. News crews are dispatched.

GM Information
Some 17 years ago (sigh...) farmer George Boswitch bought a load of tainted feed that killed all his livestock. Before they died, his cow and dog both gave birth to a single male child, and his sow to 18 piglets. Boswitch got a settlement from the feed company and prepared to drink himself to death. He noticed that the baby animals were developing oddly and planned to sell them to a circus for more money ( I dunno that there were that many circuses in the 80s that still dealt in that type of thing.) Ferd the bull (of course that's his name) developed Hypnotic suggestion and used it to persuade Boswitch that the animals weren't quite ready to sell yet while they grew up. They received their entire education via his TV, and are not altogether clear about which bits were news and which bits were fiction. When Boswitch died, they hid from the assessors and learned from their conversation that the land was due to be auctioned and the buildings demolished. They decided that taking hostages was a good way to get the resources to survive off the farm and set out to do so.

As the adventure begins, Ferd, Buck the dog and six of the pigs have seized the school while the other twelve pigs wait at the farm and communicate via coded phone messages (These are probably utterly worthless codes, given who's making them. Anyone who has some of that fancy surveillance equipment and even basic cryptography skills will be able to crack it in about 30 seconds). At 6:17 PM, Ferd will come out with 6 of the kids to give an interview, demanding $6,000,000 and two helicopters with pilots to take them to a "Remote Northern location" (That seems to keep coming up... why Northern? There's plenty of remote locations in the west and south, many of which are a fair piece more hospitable). If these are not forthcoming by 8 AM, he will kill one hostage per hour until they are delivered. At 9 PM he will release 16 children as a demonstration of goodwill. After that it's just a countdown. A frontal assault is doomed, which is why the police haven't launched one. "This situation calls for Ninja stealth and infiltration." (Gee, I sure hope the party isn't part of the 2/3 of mutant animals who aren't ninjas...). The hostages are in the gym guarded by 3 pigs, except 4 who are in the office with Ferd and another pig. Buck and the other pigs patrol the school. Buck and Ferd are 2nd level, the pigs 1st.

Ferd is a SL 14 bull with partial hands and speech and full biped. He has 1d8 horns, Hypnotic suggestion, WP Axe and Revolver, Prowl and Pick Locks (how the hell did he pick that one up? For that matter, how the hell does he even do that with hands that are still halfway to hooves?). He is Aberrant, believes humans are absolute garbage (perhaps not an unfair assessment if your only exposure to them is TV; unless you run across Mr. Rogers or Sesame Street or something most people on TV are jerks at best), and plans to found a new society of mutant animals as far from them as he can get. (He should hook up with Caesar; they'd get along great). He's not even vaguely capable of such a thing, but he has no real idea of what's involved. He is angry at the world and devoted to saving his fellows from 'humanity's butchers'.
(
)

Buck is an Unprincipled SL 9 hound dog with full hands and biped, partial speech, and advanced smell. He can use a Revolver, Rifle, or Shotgun from his days on the farm, and a submachinegun because I don't know. He has the most knowledge of humanity, because he can wander around town pretending to be an ordinary dog (WTF? How the hell can he do that? He's 5"7' and 155 lbs, which puts him twice the size of the biggest coonhound that ever lived, not to mention he has fucking hands and walks upright! The bodily changes to walk upright all the time mean that he'd look like someone crawling if the tried to walk on all fours.) He also stole all their guns from a National Guard armory somehow. He doesn't really want to go along with the hostage thing, but Ferd has hypnotized him.

The pigs have names that I don't care about. They're all Anarchist, SL 12, and have full biped, partial hands and speech, and advanced hearing. They have no useful skills aside from 1 random WP per pig. The ones at the school are described as pushy, loud, and argumentative, the latter because none of them are terribly certain this is actually going to work and are trying to convince themselves/each other. Interestingly, they actually have the most innate cunning, with an IQ of 14 compared to Ferd's 13 and Buck's 9, and are marginally more charismatic than Ferd as well. One wonders how things would have gone if Ferd wasn't mind controlling everyone.

The Kids have 8 hit points and are likely to panic.

Police Captain Sam Reynolds is partially statted up. He is in charge at the scene and is being hounded for a solution by all kinds of people. He's desperate enough to listen to a workable plan from a different bunch of animal freaks, but if they push too hard for something like a frontal assault he'll just arrest them.

As far as I can tell, the expected resolution is for the PCs to sneak in and ninja everyone to death, but I'm honestly not seeing much of a way to do that without provoking the same type of massacre that a frontal assault would. Literally nobody actually wants that outcome, but the setup basically guarantees that there's going to be a lot of dead kids one way or another. Especially since come 8 AM, there will be a frontal assault because nobody has anything left to lose anymore. And the fact that everyone in the school except the 6 teachers who haven't been mentioned since the beginning is a kid. There's also no indication of what the other 12 pigs plan to do when the school situation goes pear-shaped (or what they're likely to do, since planning isn't anyone's strong point here). Given their total lack of skills or ability to interact socially, whatever happens there is unlikely to be pretty or end well. Yanno, maybe this one is as fucked up as Doc Feral. I mean, damn.
Alright, let us assume we have a team of ninjas. Would it still be a blood bath if we also assume that each room's events are completely independent of each other? Kind of like a building wide, okay now I'm going to only face this direction rule.

Bicorn

Validated User
I'm pretty sure Kevin was the editor, since Eric Wujcek is the listed author of this turkey. Not that your point is invalid, just incomplete.
From what I've heard, the way the editing process at Palladium generally goes is that an author submits a work, then Kevin rewrites 80% of it without consulting the original author for any of the changes.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
From what I've heard, the way the editing process at Palladium generally goes is that an author submits a work, then Kevin rewrites 80% of it without consulting the original author for any of the changes.
And includes an introduction where he makes it clear that the whole thing was mostly his idea and the credited writer just cleaned things up.

Dalillama

Validated User
Alright, let us assume we have a team of ninjas. Would it still be a blood bath if we also assume that each room's events are completely independent of each other? Kind of like a building wide, okay now I'm going to only face this direction rule.
Depends on whether they can kill all three pigs in the gym in a single surprise round. And also hit Ferd and his henchman by surprise and put him down fast and hard. If he makes it outta the office he's got grenades to ensure plenty of casualties. Also, that premise seems to defeat the purpose of giving all the pigs and Buck Advanced Hearing. I think the idea is that the PCs stealthily hit all the patrollers 1 by 1 and kill them before they can shout or get a shot off, then do the same to the gym guards and the two in the office. And then I guess somehow figure out where they came from and go kill everyone at the farm? It's not really clear.

That explains a whole lot about how Wujcek managed to mimic Kevin's style and habitual errors so perfectly.

Top Bottom