• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIR] TMNT/After the Bomb/Road Hogs

DarkMoc

Validated User
I always assumed the Foot was a bit of a jab/satire/homage of Daredevil's enemy ninja clan, the Hand (which debuted in 1981, while TMNT debuted in '84). Adding more body part ninja clans just adds to the absurdity (in a good way) for me.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
I always assumed the Foot was a bit of a jab/satire/homage of Daredevil's enemy ninja clan, the Hand (which debuted in 1981, while TMNT debuted in '84). Adding more body part ninja clans just adds to the absurdity (in a good way) for me.
Well, yes. Splinter=Stick, and the Turtles were mutated by the same accident that blinded and empowered Matt Murdock. And the cover of the first issue is blatant Frank Miller parody.

tl;dr: you don't have to assume anything, it's known fact.

Nate_MI

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
I suppose there's no way to increase Bio-E through XP? That's the only way to explain how a lot of these characters are built.

Dalillama

Validated User
I suppose there's no way to increase Bio-E through XP? That's the only way to explain how a lot of these characters are built.
There is not. You have a certain amount of Bio-E to start and can never obtain any more.

ETA: the various NPCs are a strong argument for increasing the starting Bio-E, but that would be a house rule.

Last edited:

Dalillama

Validated User
The Foot (who should not be mistaken for the Leg), is almost 10x larger than our last ninja clan, having 10,000 active members.(This makes them the largest criminal organization on Earth, at least for the usual values of criminal and organization. There are more people than that who call themselves 'Crips', but there's not actually any central organization, just a bunch of gangs claiming it as a flag. And terrorist statea like Daesh are also another story). About 600 Foot ninja are in NYC. The Foot is ruled by the Council of Eight, headed by the Faceless One. This information will never be relevant. The Foot have adapted to the modern world, and "are adverse to using modern weapons and surveillance techniques in addition to the time-honoured techniques of Ninjutsu". From context I assume he meant "aren't averse to using", but that's not really true in the comics, they always use swords and shit except the one time Shredder pulls out a grenade. Also it's mentioned here that the NYC Foot controls several lesser criminal groups, such as the Purple Dragons street gang. This is also not true in the comics, but will be true in the cartoons, which I honestly suspect owe more to this book than is ever acknowledged.

Then we learn that the Foot ninjas don't use Ninjutsu, their style is Hand to Hand Assassin with Kick and Leap. Assuming that's supposed to be Jump Kick and Leap Attack, a)that's kinda the same thing as Ninjutsu innit? B) sure sounds a lot like those Leg grunts from earlier. Which is good, because we don't get any stats here for anyone but Shredder.

Shredder
Is 8th level and has Hand to Hand Ninjutsu (sigh), plus WP all Ninja Weapons and All Modern Weapons (guess ninja training includes the use of light ordnance these days; who knew?) and WP Suit. Also a buncha communications and surveillance skills, so modern stuff is go. He has +7 to strike and parry and +8 damage. His suit is AC 12 with 180 SDC. His kicks and punches do 2d6, his body check does 3d6, and he can attack with the arm blades for 3d6. These are paired weapons, so he can leap attack and hit with both.

TCRI, the source of the ooze, is the Techno Cosmic Research Institute, run by those little tentacled brain aliens. They generally wear robot human suits, which are not statted here. They are stuck on Earth and want to go home. They have nearly finished their interstellar teleporter, and are violently hostile to anything that might impede them finishing it. Otherwise they don't give a rat's ass about anything humans or mutants do except out of abstract curiousity. In the comics, they somehow acquired a severely injured (by Baxter's robots) Splinter and were examining him, so the Turtles broke in to free him, and interstellar hijinks ensued.

The Sparrow Eagles are the sample PCs. They are SL 6 and have full hands with extra arms, full biped, partial speech, and no psionics or powers. (Wait, what?) We know from the character generation example that they in fact also have flight, but that is not mentioned here. The amount of Bio-E described as spent is 20 less than what sparrows have, so this is just more terribly sloppy editing. They all have Ninjustu and the required other skills, along with various physical skills that aren't the same between them. Chirp Yenko (Scrupulous) has WP Nunchaku and Bo, can drive and speak French, and has a 1 in 4 chance of picking a lock. Brown Wing (Principled) knows electronics and computer programming, and his secondary skill to pretend to be a detective with is Cryptography. He uses Daisho and a samurai bow. Gorba Chirp (Anarchist) speaks Spanish, otherwise has a skillset overlapping near perfectly with Brown Wing. His detective skill is "Investigation", which is not in this book, and he uses a No-Dachi and a submachinegun. They are third level.

ETA: If this was the only playtest group, which is quite likely the case, that explains a lot about the sample adventures and how they're set up. This lot are basically incapable of any kind of investigation that isn't 'Hang out on a rooftop and hope they see a crime that can be solved with violence', so it makes sense that's the default method presented.

Fred Hamster is... I don't know what he's here for, there's just a name and stats and a bit of a backstory. He's an SL 9 Hamster with full hands and speech and partial biped. He has Digging and Tunneling (which isn't an available power for hamsters, and tacking 'requires tools' on doesn't make it one, you cheating fuck. If you're gonna houserule cool shit onto all the NPCs, provide a framework for tacking cooler shit onto PCs). He was made by an oil company as a prospecting tool, but decided to go freelance with as much of the company's shit as he could glom onto as his severance pay.

The book ends with an advert for the Palladium Megaverse and encourages you to buy Robotech, Beyond the Supernatural, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies, and Palladium Fantasy. This is pre-Rifts, which feels strange given how long that's been their flagship product.

Overall, this book had a lot of potential, but the actual product is pretty crap, which is par for the Palladium course. Needs an editor badly.

Next time: After the Bomb!!

Last edited:

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wait. Sparrow *Eagles* instead of Sparrow *Hawks*? Why would they change that between editions?

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, in 1E, it was Sparrow Eagles. Which was always a little silly, but what the hey.

Top Bottom