• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIR] TMNT/After the Bomb/Road Hogs

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As far as I can tell, SDC inherited that name because it used to be used just for objects... like armor. So it inherited the terminology from armor, because Palladium is an efficient recycler of mechanics, sometimes to an excessive degree.

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The weird thing in TMNT is that your more abstract ability to take damage is determined at character creation (unless you get new skills; IIRC that wasnt automatic?) but your actual meat points, your ability to be sawed in half, increases with experience...

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, the Size rules were set to center the characters on being about the same height as the Turtles... except that, while the official stats of the Turtles were in the book, they're too big for a SL that they could actually buy with the turtle starting Bio-E given their human features and animal powers. (Yep, yet another example of Canon Characters Are Better Than You Can Ever Be, but it's subtle.)
As a kid I remember being very upset that you couldn't make the Turtles as starting characters and I carried this with me ever since.

Certified

Validated User
As a kid I remember being very upset that you couldn't make the Turtles as starting characters and I carried this with me ever since.
What I always wanted to know is how it was decided what levels each of the turtles were as presumably they had similar levels of experience.

Dalillama

Validated User
What I always wanted to know is how it was decided what levels each of the turtles were as presumably they had similar levels of experience.
Michaelangelo and Donatello are described as being less serious about ninjitsu than the other two, preferring to focus on food/fun and computers respectively. I assume that's the justification for them being a level lower. But we won't get to them for a long while yet.

Dalillama

Validated User
Step 2: Animal Type
The GM may restrict choices, e.g. only Rural animals, and PCs may select their animal with GM permission. This is bad, though, and the GM should make the PCs roll. These are percentile tables, the first being Category. The categories are Urban (35%), Rural (15%), Wild (25%), Wild Birds (10%), Zoo (15%). I wonder how these were determined, although they seem biased towards the Ninja Turtles category. Each category has a subtable that I'm not going to type out. They're pretty much what you'd expect on each list, and when we get to the animal descriptions a few chapters from now it'll be easy to guess who goes where.

Next we get to
Cause of Mutation
There's a 45% chance you mutated like the Turtles, from an accident, and 15% chance of just being born that way (Splinter was smarter than the average rat even before the ooze). Both of these types roll on the Wild Animal Education Table. On a 61+, we get to roll on a subtable!
These mutants were made on purpose, in a lab. How the lab treated them and how they feel about it is broken up into 10 equally likely possibilties.
  1. Raised as part of researcher's family and treated like a person and is presumably still in touch with them. Has a positive attitude towards humans and an education equivalent to 1 year of college, which means 2 skill programs (10% bonus to all these skills) and 10 secondary skills. What does that mean? We'll find out later. Also has $3-18000 in savings. (A quick note about money; these are late 80s dollars. Double any dollar figure for a rough idea what it is in today's money)
  2. Raised as a researcher's beloved pet. Knows basic math, literacy and 14 secondary skills. Lives with the researcher and considers this normal. Is still kind of resentful about not being treated as a person. Has up to $6000 worth of equipment.
  3. Raised as a researcher's pet. Not a nice researcher. Is on the run from people who want to recapture them, not fond of humans. Gets to roll on the Wild Animal Education table
  4. Raised as a lab animal. Has 6 Physical skills, 12 secondary skills, as much as $6000 worth of stolen goods and a chip on their shoulder.
  5. Raised as a lab animal by people with really terrible expermental setup skills. Hates humans, hates their creators, educated as Wild Animal
  6. Raised by the lab as though they were human. See #1, but less cash.
  7. Raised by a former researcher who rescued them from 4-5. Has spent their life on the run, has a spotty education and a poor attitude towards humans not proven friendly. 4 Scholastic Skills at +8% (Where are these numbers coming from?), 3 Military/espionage skills, 10 secondary skills, and less than $1200 of easily portable goods.
  8. Highly trained in using their natural abilites for the good of the company. Bachelor's equivalent, 3 skill programs at +25%, 10 secondary skills, up to $60000 in savings and a salary of at least $75000. Must be fun putting this guy in a party with the Wild Animal who has no money, no equipment, and no skills not directly related to living in the wilderness, and hates humans.
  9. Same backstory as above, fewer perks. Only gets +15% and 8 secondary skills. Was treated as a slave and fucked off with up to $180,000 worth of company property
  10. Super-soldier program. Has Expert, Martial Arts, or Assassin hand to hand and 8 secondary skills. +15% for any that are military. On the run and hunted as a major threat. Has up to $120000 of stuff

Wild animal Education:
20% Lives in the wild. Has Prowl, Survival, (both +24%) Escape Artist, Climbing, (+15%) and Swimming (+10%) and one secondary skill Where are these numbers coming from? Also +10% to SDC (is that a typo?) +6 to PE. +3 to PS, +2 to PP and 2(!) extra attacks per melee. has up to 1800 worth of stuff from the trash.
20% Skulked around near the city. 14 Secondary skills, Prowl +12, PP +1, Hand to Hand basic, and twice as much garbage.
50% Adopted by a Ninja Master (there seem to be a lot of those around...) Gets Hand to Hand ninjutsu, 3 low tech weapon proficiencies, 3 military/espionage skills and 10 secondary skills all at +5 (cos why be consistent). It says 'any area of special training can be selected', but doesn't describe them. I guess this is where you pull out Heros unlimited or Ninjas and Superspies.
10% Goes public and gets a Bachelor's degree. Is basically broke, having up to $1200 in cash or gear. Only gets +20%, otherwise skills like 8 above.

Why are there three different skill bonuses that are all equivalent to a Bachelor's degree? How are the bonuses determined? What does any of this mean?
We will learn the answers to none of these questions, because step 4 is Bio-E. We'll learn all about that next episode.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
MSH was '84 vs TMNT&OS's '85, but Star Trek predates them both. And more than I thought... Call of Cthulhu is synonymous with the RPG now, but it was a licensed property too!
AH! Thank you! I was wrong by a bunch. :D

As for the numbers? Hoo boy.

Paladium's system is very much an artefact of the day, where you'd get a chance to do something... and that was it. No one had a chance to hear you sneaking, for example, you had a chance to sneak around … pass or fail is totally on you, not them. It … has not aged well.

(Similarly, if you didn't have the skill? Couldn't do it. No Climb skill? Then you couldn't climb anything. This was a problem found In older versiosn of D&D, for instance, where only the Theif could climb a rope. We … learned better. It just took a bit.)

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
Palladium's system came from their fantasy heartbreaker with other things (literally) pasted in over the years, with a lot of skill granularity. Basic Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics, basic radio... and yet an incomplete list of sciences... Astrophysics but no Physics skill, for instance.

Edit: I had the pre-Revised, black text logo version of the game with the insanity tables, but sold it when I got revised... it also had skill categories broken down by education level, elementary school, high school and college instead of the usual Palladium categories. Was that developed for TMNT&OS, or did an early Palladium game have it too?

Dalillama

Validated User
Right, but none of that explains why three Bachelors degrees give three different bonuses. Or for that matter why the mutant who was raised as part of a human family dropped out after a year of college, but the feral who goes public manages to keep ot together enough for a BS.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Right, but none of that explains why three Bachelors degrees give three different bonuses. Or for that matter why the mutant who was raised as part of a human family dropped out after a year of college, but the feral who goes public manages to keep ot together enough for a BS.
Welcome to Palladium. :D

Top Bottom