[WIR] TMNT/After the Bomb/Road Hogs

Dalillama

Validated User
Huh. I was about to wonder what the justification for that was before it leaped out at me: Transdimensionl TMNT introduced dinosaurs, and big dinos are stupid, everyone knows that...

Gwydion

I am #426
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Beavers are SL 6, same as baboons; those are either small apes or huge beavers.
Baboons are generally considered monkeys rather than apes. There are several speicies which vary in size, but the olive and yellow baboons run around 50 or 55 pounds for a male (females are smaller). A North American beaver runs from 20-70 pounds with 40 or so being typical.
Kevin

Dalillama

Validated User
So they are, I'd forgotten how small baboons are. And because there were enough weirdnesses already, I didn't bother to check.

Dalillama

Validated User
Hippos are also SL 20, and can buy 1d10 teeth, Light Natural Body Armour for 15(AR: 8, SDC +40.That was Medium armour for a crocodilian.) Advanced Hearing and Hold Breath.
Horses are SL 18 (anyone get the feeling this scale is a little too broad?), as strong as elephants with Spd +6. They can get Hooves that do 1d6 damage on a kick (I'm pretty sure anyone with a hand to hand skill can match that, but maybe not Basic. We'll see when we get there) Advanced Hearing, and 10 SDC for 5 bioE (these are really all the hell over the place)
Marten & Mink (Also carnivores in the weasel family, but not called out as such here) are SL 2 with 70 bioE and more attribute bonuses than we've seen in a while: +2 IQ and PP, +1 Me, and +5 Spd. This makes them faster than deer and only marginally less fast than horses. They can get 1d6 climbing claws and 1d8 teeth, as well as Advanced Hearing and Smell.
Moles are SL1/85, with no bonuses. They automatically get Hold Breath, though. They can buy 1d6 claws, Advanced Smell, and Digging-Excavation.
Monkeys are the new world sort. SL 4/45, partial hands, biped, looks, and can buy prehensile feet for only 5 and a prehensile tail likewise. IQ +3, Spd +2, MA, ME, and PE+1, and PP 2, which I assume is a typo and not a note that monkeys are tripping-prone butterfingers. For some reason neither prehensile lower limbs nor tail aid Climbing skill at all, nor can monkeys buy the ability to swing from tree to tree.
Moose are stronger than elephants and PS +4 and PE +1 despite their SL 19, amd can buy Advanced Hearing and 2d6 Antlers. they also pay a 5 point premium for human features except speech, which nobody else has so far.
Muskrats are SL 2/70 and get +3 IQ, +1 ME and MA. They can get Advanced Touch, Hearing, and Smell, and Hold Breath.
Opossums are not to be confused with the Australian critter with a similar name. They're SL 3/70 and have automatic partial hands (and I wish I could show you the image here of a dead-eyed possum with a bandolier and assault rifle). They can buy 1d4 climbing claws, Advanced Smell, a prehensile tail, and the ability to play dead.
Otters are 4/50 or 6/40 depending on if they're river or sea otters. Tgey all oave +4 PP, +3 IQ, MA, and Spd, and +2 ME (playing up the cheerful, playful stereotype here, which is only partially accurate). Partial hands are free, and tehy can buy Hold Breath, Advanced Hearing, Smell, and Touch, and whiskers that detect vibrations in darkness and deep water, no mechanics given. No bite attack either, which should definitely be an option.
Pigs are SL 12/25, with +3 IQ, +1 ME, MA. They can buy 10 SDC for 5 and Advanced Hearing. (some breeds have tusks, even the domestic ones)
Porcupines come in at 5/65, with the option of 1d6 Climbing Claws, Advanced Hearing and smell, and quills for 15; these give AR 10, and any barehanded/footed attack rolling under that takes 3d6(!!) damage, and has one quill per 3 damage to pull out later. They can also do a 4d6 bodycheck (Athletics gives a bonus to this and is a good one to take), or a 2d6 backhand. Furthermore, they can pluck quills to throw as daggers for 1d4.
Rabbits are inoffensive SL 3/70 herbivores, who it's recently been discovered eat their dead and raid bird nests in the winter. They have Spd +4, PP+1, and can get Advanced Hearing and Smell, as well as Leaping ability, which here "does the maximum jump or leap", but that's probably meant to be 'doubles', as with frogs. This is another critter that's missing a bite attack.
Raccoons can't get a bite either, which shows the author's never tried to get one out of the shed. They have +4 IQ, +2 ME and MA, +1 PP, and Partial Hands. Powers are Advanced for Touch (sic) and Advanced Hearing.
Rhinos are called out for their speed in the description, and get a +4 to Spd to go with their +4 PS. They're SL 20, pay a premium for human features again, and can but horns in 1d8/2d6 at double cost, Advanced Hearing and Smell, and the same Natural Armour progression as crocs, but going up to Extra Heavy for 60, with AR 14 and SDC +120. Which ironically means that a 5-foot, 100 lb rhino is going to be tougher than a full sized 2 tonner.
Rodents is the small, scurrying kindn, excluding squirrels; they have +2 IQ, +1 ME and PP, and come in SL 1/80 and 2/75. Abilities are Digging, Adcanced Hearing, 1d6 climbing claws and wtf 1d4 teeth. How do rats rate and rabbits don't?
Sheep are SL 6/60, and have access to Advanced hearing and smell and 1d8 horns. They're almost as boring here as they are in real life.
Skunks are SL 3/70 or 2/80 for striped or spotted (SL gives a 10 point penalty again) and their only power is spray for 15, which causes nausea for 28 rounds in those who fail a save. Advanced Smell gives a -4 to the saving throw. They should have Digging and a bite.
Squirrels have PP+1 and Spd +4, and the author apparently considers them dimmer than other rodents. They're SL 1/80 and can have 1d4 climbing claws, Advanced Hearing, and Gliding if they're flying squirrels and why wouldn't you be.
Turtles are 30 bioE short of matching the canon ones at SL1/95. They can get Hold Breath, Swimming 75%, and the same armour progression as Rhinos, but topping out at +80 SDC which seems wrong somehow. And I know I won't shut up about this, but freaking bite attack. At least for snappers and alligator turtles.
Weasels are devilish fast, with +9 PP and +7 Spd, and clock in at SL1/75. Powers are 1d6 Climbing claws, 1d8 teeth, double price Advanced Smell, and Increased Metabolic Rate (20) that gives +5 to strike, +4 to parry/dodge, +2 damage and 2 bonus attacks per round. Character must eat 3x their weight in meat daily or begin to starve, and is generally hyper and twitchy. Slightly off topic, but this is ludicrously overpowered when combined with a Rifts Juicer package, as an old PC of mine demonstrated.
and a bonus on the next page I missed last time
Wolverines! have +3 IQ, +2 PS, +5PP, and +10 PE, making them tougher by far than anyone else in the book. They're SL 5/50and can have 2d6 Teeth, 1d8 claws, digging, and Advanced Smell.

Analysis: There's the bones of a pretty good mutant animal building system here, marred by poor editing, sporadic research (which to be fair was much harder in those days) and most of all by the lack of an actual system. There's no rhyme or reason to the damage of natural attacks, attribute modifier are arbitrarily assigned or not, and seemingly standardized prices and powers have unexplained exceptions where they cost more or less. A pass from a good editor would fix 80% of the problems and a written process for assigning costs, powers, and bonuses would cover the rest. Unfortunately, as far as I know neither of these things ever happened.

Raleel

Validated User
Wolverines and weasels were always really good. The cows were pretty good too as I remember.

I have wanted to do up TMNT with Mythras and just assign a few powers and stat bumps, because as others have said, everyone normally takes no human looks and full hands

Spidey88

Validated User
Analysis: There's the bones of a pretty good mutant animal building system here, marred by poor editing, sporadic research (which to be fair was much harder in those days) and most of all by the lack of an actual system. There's no rhyme or reason to the damage of natural attacks, attribute modifier are arbitrarily assigned or not, and seemingly standardized prices and powers have unexplained exceptions where they cost more or less. A pass from a good editor would fix 80% of the problems and a written process for assigning costs, powers, and bonuses would cover the rest. Unfortunately, as far as I know neither of these things ever happened.
One thing that always bugged me about TMNT was, like you say, the seemingly totally random and arbitrary attribute bonuses and costs of powers. Granted, some of these got ironed out or toned down by second edition and 2nd edition After the Bomb, but there's still some mighty strange entries in both of those books too. Why on earth does one animal pay 5 BIO-E for Advanced Hearing, and another pay 15? All over the place. Overall, things got a bit better, but still super shaky.

Yeah, the actual "facts" about animals were all over the place too. Erick Wujcik, RIP, was a great game designer with some super fun ideas that I've enjoyed for years - but a biologist, he wasn't. Cheetahs can't run 120 MPH, for example! (I'm guessing that one was as a result of Metric/Imperial mixups.) Bats get Biped: Full automatically? Huh? All sorts of things like that that have made my zoology-obsessed brain ache since I was a kid. Easy enough to fix, but hard not to notice...

Spidey88

Validated User
Starting at SL 21, there's a -2 cumulative IQ penalty per size level.
I ditched those penalties right out of the gate, personally. If you find the BIO-E to actually DO anything useful at that size, and are willing to put up with the inconvenience of weighing north of 100 tons, you don't really need to be a moron to boot.

DarkMoc

Validated User
I ditched those penalties right out of the gate, personally. If you find the BIO-E to actually DO anything useful at that size, and are willing to put up with the inconvenience of weighing north of 100 tons, you don't really need to be a moron to boot.
Honestly, I'm more curious how one goes about overcoming the SPD penalty at SL25. Sure, IQ -10 is problematic, but even a slightly above average roll gives you a positive stat. With SPD -30, average rolls for character creation and the Running skill combined still leave you with SPD -10.

Dalillama

Validated User
Yeah, the actual "facts" about animals were all over the place too. Erick Wujcik, RIP, was a great game designer with some super fun ideas that I've enjoyed for years - but a biologist, he wasn't. Cheetahs can't run 120 MPH, for example! (I'm guessing that one was as a result of Metric/Imperial mixups.)
Nah, I think it was just copied over from Heroes Unlimited, like the flight speeds for birds and bats (160 MPH if you've forgotten, there's no way that's a unit conversion failure)

ETA: just checked my copy of HU. and sure enough , Winged Flight 160 mph, Glide 120 mph. Extraordinary Speed lets you run at 220 mph, but otherwise is very similar, I think he just knocked it down by a hundred in the name of 'realism'
Bats get Biped: Full automatically?
Yeah, cos they've got two legs and two wings, see? The rationale there makes perfect sense if you have no idea how bats move on the ground, on the rare occasions they actually do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom