• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIR] X-Men II: Focussed Totality Is A Song Within Her When Ah'm Blastin'!

4th of Eleven

Validated User
There's a bunch of New Mutants stories where villains just get dumped into Limbo and nobody really raises an eyebrow, despite it, you know, being a demonic hell-world. It's... weird. You'd think it'd be part of a story about Illyana being corrupted by power and growing crueler and less merciful but... nope, apparently it's just a thing heroes can do.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a bunch of New Mutants stories where villains just get dumped into Limbo and nobody really raises an eyebrow, despite it, you know, being a demonic hell-world. It's... weird. You'd think it'd be part of a story about Illyana being corrupted by power and growing crueler and less merciful but... nope, apparently it's just a thing heroes can do.
In theory the story of Illyana getting progressively more corrupted and demonic is a very slow build (it won't come to a head until 1989, some time after Claremont leaves the book), but yeah it's always a bit eyebrow-raising how none of the other New Mutants object to this kind of thing.

In general this "Special Edition" is full of Claremont's pet kinks (corruption ! enslavement ! "permanent" body transformations !), but it's just so fun, and the art is so delightful, that it's hard to begrudge it. And some of its subplots will have surprisingly long-term followups ; most notably Dani's Valkyrie induction (still in effect as of this day !), but Rahne's wolf lover will also show back up in the 2000s, and of course the Doug/Warlock pairing is far from a one-off.

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
In general this "Special Edition" is full of Claremont's pet kinks (corruption ! enslavement ! "permanent" body transformations !), but it's just so fun, and the art is so delightful, that it's hard to begrudge it. And some of its subplots will have surprisingly long-term followups ; most notably Dani's Valkyrie induction (still in effect as of this day !), but Rahne's wolf lover will also show back up in the 2000s, and of course the Doug/Warlock pairing is far from a one-off.
I've got a paperback with this story and the earlier Alpha Flight crossover, and by itself it's fun (though the S'ym thing is indeed hella problematic). Looking at it in the context of the full run, though, the constant mind control is so wearying.

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Under Xi'an's control she lifts all her spells, allowing Illyana to move everyone to Limbo. She drains Amora of her magic the same way hers was, then gifts her to S'ym in a rather non-heroic way:

Illyana: "I could kill you now -- but I'm not that forgiving. Instead, I'll leave you to S'ym's tender mercies. He's my pet demon. I truly believe you two are made for each other. She isn't to be physically harmed, S'ym. Beyond that . . . use your imagination.
S'ym: "Yum!"

Killing a merciless villain -- beyond he pale.
Giving a female captive to a merciless villain not currently in opposition to the heroes to be presumably raped -- hilarious and badass.
-- Marvel Comics, 1985
"She isn't to be physically harmed" would seem to preclude demonic rape. I take it to mean "go ahead and psychologically torment her," which isn't really any better but it is less squicky.

JJ Hall

Last Red Hot Swami
Validated User
"She isn't to be physically harmed" would seem to preclude demonic rape. I take it to mean "go ahead and psychologically torment her," which isn't really any better but it is less squicky.
It's possible, but I'm inclined to think the intent is to imply the squick as firmly as possible. Here's the full context:

I feel like the art is as suggestive as it needs to be.

Patchwork

Validated User
I really loved that New Mutant story when I read it but yeah it's been a long time and that ending is problematic as hell. I'd definitely say "She isn't to be physically harmed" would preclude rape to me (but I'm not convinced it is to the story as written) and I didn't take it as rape as the time when I read it but that's more me being oblivious than anything else. That is definitely very ecky ending on that note.

On a more positive note. I really do like Xi'an's bit even more. It is there to have her lose the weight of course but I like how well it served the character. Xi'an was willing to die but not willing to leave someone else to die. She really is living up to being a hero and I like that's how the fates kept her alive.

Last edited:

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
On a more positive note. I really do like Xi'an's bit even more. It is there to have her lose the weight of course but I like how well it served the character. Xi'an was willing to die but not willing to leave someone else to die. She really is living up to being a hero and I like that's how the fates kept her alive.
Unfortunately I believe she'll be leaving the book soon, and not to return... ever? (at least not in vol. 1) Despite being one of the original New Mutants, and probably the one with the most interesting backstory (complete with a built-in villainous relative!) she never really does much as a New Mutant, and gets frequented pushed to the side. Perhaps as a consequence of her power being so useful in overcoming obstacles?

Re: the rapid weight loss, Karma's Wikipedia page pointed out something interesting that I didn't realize before - she has short hair when she appears in the desert, and very long hair (down past her butt) by the time she leaves. Human hair grows about half a foot per year, so she was wandering for a very long time. Which means the weight loss was possibly gradual enough that she didn't have lots of excess skin. Although then one wonders if it was so long why didn't she notice that the little girl never gets older.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Unfortunately I believe she'll be leaving the book soon, and not to return... ever? (at least not in vol. 1) Despite being one of the original New Mutants, and probably the one with the most interesting backstory (complete with a built-in villainous relative!) she never really does much as a New Mutant, and gets frequented pushed to the side. Perhaps as a consequence of her power being so useful in overcoming obstacles?

Re: the rapid weight loss, Karma's Wikipedia page pointed out something interesting that I didn't realize before - she has short hair when she appears in the desert, and very long hair (down past her butt) by the time she leaves. Human hair grows about half a foot per year, so she was wandering for a very long time. Which means the weight loss was possibly gradual enough that she didn't have lots of excess skin. Although then one wonders if it was so long why didn't she notice that the little girl never gets older.
Forget about the weight loss, where she got a tailor to get her that little purple leotard number?

I just chalked everything up to magic and called it a day.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not just one of the New Mutants, but the LEADER of them. Her removal got other members to step up and do the job but she was always intended as the boss.

I always wondered how things would have worked out if they would have changed her up a bit, maybe have her powers get turned form mind control to more telepathic akin to a weak Xavier (She even has the "X" in her name!) and kept her around for the whole run instead of Dani pretty much taking over in her absence.

Top Bottom