• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} WIW: A Submariner watches "Down Periscope."

petros

Validated User
I had an acquaintance who was in Desert Storm, and he brought back many cases of MREs for us civilians to eat, and we loved them. He also traded a bunch to guys in the French Foreign Legion in exchange for hats and uniforms.
I have heard that some MRE's are deliberately not as good as others, to produce variety, and to give fighters (soldiers, sailors, air-people, marines, coastal guardians, you know who I mean) something to gripe about. Is there much truth to this, mil-pack?

Heck, do they all get the same MRE's, or do they each have their own?

Curtis Cook

Validated User
I have heard that some MRE's are deliberately not as good as others, to produce variety, and to give fighters (soldiers, sailors, air-people, marines, coastal guardians, you know who I mean) something to gripe about. Is there much truth to this, mil-pack?

Do you mean each branch of service? I have no idea. Ours came in cartons of twelve, with each MRE being different, but each carton having the same twelve varieties.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I would imagine it wouldn't *deliberately* aim for less quality, but some varieties will naturally be harder to get right than others.

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The current list:
Hunt for the Red October (Next - I can borrow it from a friend)
Run Silent, Run Deep
Das Boot
K-19, the Widowmaker
U-571
Operation Petticoat

I think that's it for now. Unfortunately, all but Hunt for the Red October will be tough. They aren't available on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
I just caught Black Sea, very neat movie, set almost entirely on a rustbucket Cold War sub crewed by a gang of misfits. You should definitely add it to your list, and hopefully give us a school report here. :)

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
If ghoti does a WIW on Run Silent, Run Deep, we almost need a companion WIR thread for the book.

Top Bottom