• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} WIW: A Submariner watches "Down Periscope."

SandwormPhish

Validated User
I rewatched Down Periscope the other day in anticipation so I figured I'd comment.

Once again it's nice to see the commentary from someone with the relevant experience who isn't my dad (Former Green Beret so most of his interservice rivalry stuff gets saved for the SEALs rather than your average sailors) because man that can get irritating in the movie theater.

I'm trying to decide if anyone is going to have Nitro beat for the 'This is inaccurate for the sake of the joke' tags among the crew given just how many times he gets zapped. Sonar's probably the closest of them but then I'm pretty sure his hearing is downright superhuman.

I also find it somewhat surreal that Kelsey Grammar and Rob Schneider of all people are having a more accurate Captain/XO discussion in a goofy comedy about a captain whose crew is.. well the equivalent to the protagonist team of every 90s sports film ever, then the Gene Hackman/Denzel Washington all seriousness thriller.

With regards to Dodge's tattoo and the idea that it's being remarked upon as much as it is.. I'm guessing Graham just plain doesn't like Dodge and is whipping out every perceived offense as a reason to keep him out of command.

Watch the background crew and you can spot Patton Oswalt as a radio operator. :)

Looking forward to the rest of the WIW, should be interesting to see what you have to say about the antics.

Last edited:

Myrme

Historian for Hire
Validated User
I'm enjoying this thread. It's entertaining and educational. I never knew that about sonar operators, though it makes perfect sense when I think about it.

Tom B

Validated User
With regards to Dodge's tattoo and the idea that it's being remarked upon as much as it is.. I'm guessing Graham just plain doesn't like Dodge and is whipping out every perceived offense as a reason to keep him out of command.
...I see what you did there...

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
These are shaping up to be a fun series of threads. I've been involved with submarine technology, and it's nice to get some insight from the people who actually use it.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yay! I'm looking forward to the rest of your WIW. I remember watching the movie and thinking, "wow, that was surprisingly decent."
Likewise, I found it fun and watched it a few times from the old video rental place.

Arilou

Banned
They used off brands, like Jasper's Brand peanut butter, or Snow Floss ketchup, or Pfeiffer salad dressing.
And from my understanding they pay a ludicrous amount for it.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
And from my understanding they pay a ludicrous amount for it.
Funnily enough, by contrast, the British armed forces use premium brands that don't appear in their trade dress (you can tell by reading the packaging closely). We almost certainly get overcharged for them.

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, Down Periscope. I love this movie. Thanks for letting me know what they got right and wrong. As for Nitro and Sonar, I have to admit that I don't care how inaccurate they are. Along with Buckman, these were easily some of my favorite characters from the movie just for their level of absurdity.

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
If you're still taking suggestions for sub films, ghoti, then can I suggest Ice Station Zebra as a possibility? Not a sub film per se, nonetheless the submarine scenes take up about half the movie and include some significant submarine action (that is likely full of technical holes). I was always impressed by Roc Hudson's portrayal of the submarine commander.

Top Bottom