• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} WIW: A Submariner watches "Down Periscope."

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
Jackson, the guy climbing the scope, starts to sing “Be all that you can be!” Dodge yells “That's the Army!” then has the periscope raised.
That's such a great character beat that he's ticked off with that even in the middle of the storm.

A2A

Proud Member of the Fuzz
Validated User
Funnily enough, by contrast, the British armed forces use premium brands that don't appear in their trade dress (you can tell by reading the packaging closely). We almost certainly get overcharged for them.
The newer ration packs, at least when I was in, have restored the trade dress. When I was in Afghanistan our packs featured things such as Lucozade powder and Yorkie bars (with "not for civvies" rather than the old "not for girls" logo).

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was hoping that one of the mods could do something to edit the placeholder posts for me, but I guess I'll just post the next few parts over the next 3 1/2 hours.
I can do that if you want. (Make your posts and I'll edit them into the placeholder posts.) Let me know.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
On the topic of armed forces food -- well slightly off topic as this relates to Army food, not Navy -- if anyone has been dying to eat MREs for 3 weeks straight, the Army is conducting is conducting just such a study!

http://www.army.mil/article/159817
You know, some of us did that for considerably longer periods of time for far less money.

OnyxHope

Ex3 Fan Club
Validated User
You know, some of us did that for considerably longer periods of time for far less money.
Try being the guy who avoids pork and seafood and supply only occasionally gets Kosher MRE's for after a month in the field. There is only so many times you can take the same vegi pack. Everyone always wondered why I was so eager to share and trade from the Kosher 'snack pack' when I had them but you get the same bundle no matter the meal so if you have even two things you aren't thrilled with it gets old fast. Though I suspect the quality of MRE overall where better for most of my service than yours Cessna so you do have my sympathies for that!

Phigment

Faceless Handle
Validated User
Try being the guy who avoids pork and seafood and supply only occasionally gets Kosher MRE's for after a month in the field. There is only so many times you can take the same vegi pack. Everyone always wondered why I was so eager to share and trade from the Kosher 'snack pack' when I had them but you get the same bundle no matter the meal so if you have even two things you aren't thrilled with it gets old fast. Though I suspect the quality of MRE overall where better for most of my service than yours Cessna so you do have my sympathies for that!
My brother discovered his gluten intolerance while deployed and living on MREs.

MREs contain a lot of gluten, as it turns out.

jerandall

Validated User
Oh absolutely, I wasn't trying to disparage the sacrifices you and other made/make!

But us civvies rarely get the pleasure (?) of eating even one MRE, let alone 21 in a row.

Sorry to drift off topic... back to subs.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If you're still taking submissions for movies to watch, I'll recommend a toughie. Tough because I imagine it'll be damn near impossible to find on DVD or online streaming.

Fer-de-Lance

This was a made-for-TV movie that originally aired in 1974. The plot can be summed up by "Snakes on a submarine". Sub leaves port, one of the sailors has brought aboard a case of poisonous snakes which then escape. Snakes start biting people, and everything goes all pear-shaped.

Top Bottom