• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] A submariner watches "Hunt for the Red October"

Truthseeker

Validated User
This may sound rather harsh to you, but I got to my first boat just two years after they caught John Walker. They weren't playing around.
On a sub, the officer in charge of Radio is also the sub's Security Manager. Once upon a time, a sub's Security Manager was supposed to have new security clearances done for the crew of his sub. He was far too busy, though, so he delegated it to his Senior Chief, a fine upstanding citizen named John Walker. Yes, the same John Walker who I mentioned earlier. Because the sub's Security Manager was too busy to do his job, a man who was selling intel to the Soviets got to do his own security clearance.
Wikipedia said:
Walker has justified his treachery by claiming that the first classified Navy communications data he had sold to the Soviets had already been completely compromised when the North Koreans had captured the U.S. Navy communications surveillance ship, the USS Pueblo.[9] Yet the Koreans captured the Pueblo in January 1968 — just one month after Walker had betrayed the information. Furthermore, a 2001 thesis presented at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College using information from Soviet archives and from Oleg Kalugin, indicates that the Pueblo incident may have taken place because the Soviets wanted to study equipment described in documents supplied to them by Walker.
These threads have been a wonderful education.
Sometimes that wonderful education strikes at odd angles, too. See, I happened to mention my new fascination with the Walker case to my mother. (She'd never heard of it, either). To make a long story short, though, it seems the Pueblo incident was what drew her into the Navy. Without being there, she considers it likely that she never would have met my father, so it appears that... in a very roundabout sort of way, I wouldn't have been born without the machinations of a traitor who sold all the secrets for a few thousand dollars a month to help pay off his bad business debts. Which our family might not ever have known about without Ghoti watching The Hunt for Red October for the edification and entertainment of RPG.net.

Funny ol' world, innit? :D

Ghoti

Pronounced "Fish."
Validated User
Sometimes that wonderful education strikes at odd angles, too. See, I happened to mention my new fascination with the Walker case to my mother. (She'd never heard of it, either). To make a long story short, though, it seems the Pueblo incident was what drew her into the Navy. Without being there, she considers it likely that she never would have met my father, so it appears that... in a very roundabout sort of way, I wouldn't have been born without the machinations of a traitor who sold all the secrets for a few thousand dollars a month to help pay off his bad business debts. Which our family might not ever have known about without Ghoti watching The Hunt for Red October for the edification and entertainment of RPG.net.

Funny ol' world, innit? :D
Glad to be of service!

Thanks for sharing that.

Top Bottom