• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] A submariner watches "Hunt for the Red October"

IMSabbel

Validated User
One thing that got me far later is that I kinda got a wrong impression about those submarines from the movies.

I mean, they say "its as big as a WW2 aircraft carrier" and the like, but its hard to visualize what they DO with that space.

It turns out that despite their HUGE size, the thyphoon class submarines are quite cozy inside.

Take a look at this picture of one being build:

http://i.imgur.com/FNptg9p.jpg

Those are not two submarines, but two of the internal pressure hulls of the big hull itself. If you add the torpedoes and the huge amount of space the ICBM tubes need between those internal hulls (better visible here: http://www.hisutton.com/images/Typhoon_Illustration1900.jpg ), you run out of space quickly.

Last edited:

Ghoti

Pronounced "Fish."
Validated User
I think some of the questionable elements (the magic Sonar computer, the ability to deliver a DSRV anywhere in the world in 24 hours, the caterpillar drive, some of the protocol errors, etc.) should just be taken as genre conventions, same as you wouldn't question the viability of FTL travel in a sci-fi movie. Political/military/spy thrillers simply don't work the same way as the real world (and the best ones acknowledge this). The movie has enough weird, unnecessary inaccuracies anyway that even someone who's never even been close to a submarine like me noticed some of them.
Agreed. When I'm watching a movie for enjoyment, I may roll my eyes a bit, but I move on. The purpose of these threads, though, is to point out what really goes on. I may seem kind of outraged in the review, but it's mainly intended as a joke.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
So, funny thing about the officers not eating. That's not so much an acting "we're too freaked out to eat" choice as an actor "I don't want to eat this again" choice. So if you choose to eat in a film, you have to eat in every take, and if there's a cut, for a flubbed line, or something being stuck in your teeth or you don't finish chewing in time to say your line, or you nearly choke due to swallowing too much, they then have to do continuity on the food on your plate to make sure you have the right amount of food, leaving you with a melange of stone cold and freshly hot food, which is not particularly appetising. Which means that Connery's acting decision to not only eat, but to not stop eating for the entire scene, as soon as he sits down with his food, is ballsy as hell.

Also, from what I remember from the audio commentary, I believe Connery's eating borscht.

One other thing - one of the subs used in this film is, IIRC, the USS Blueback - and I know this because it's now at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, and they offer tours.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
The eating thing also establishes Ramius' character well. He's way more relaxed and confident about the defection plan than the other officers.

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
In Patriot Games, the Ryans lived in Maryland. In Calvert County I think, or maybe southern Anne Arundel County (both of which lie on the Chesapeake Bay). Ryan was teaching at the Naval Academy at the time, and Cathy Ryan was a surgeon at, possibly, University of Maryland Shock Trauma. (In any event, there were scenes that took place at Shock Trauma--down the street from the grave of Edgar Allen Poe, which also gets a mention--and also on Maryland Route 2, IIRC, which runs from southern Maryland up to Annapolis.) I know all this useless detail because that's basically where I've lived for most of my life, and Patriot Games was the first book that I remember reading that was set in areas I really actually knew. Also, Tom Clancy lived, or at least had a house, down in Calvert County somewhere, so he was pretty familiar with the area himself.
Ryan's house was in Peregrine Cliffs in North Beach. Clancy himself lived farther south in a cliff-top, multi-building mansion compound on a former boy-scout camp. He stayed down there most of the time, and his son went to the same private school I did (The Calverton School), and was a couple of years younger. He'd donate signed copies of his novels to school fundraisers.

Ghoti

Pronounced "Fish."
Validated User
One other thing - one of the subs used in this film is, IIRC, the USS Blueback - and I know this because it's now at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, and they offer tours.
I am trying to figure out where the Blueback was in the movie. She looked nothing like a Los Angeles class outside. She may have been the boat in the drydock.

JoshR

Validated User
I recently watched a behind-the-scenes documentary for Hunt for Red October, and it revealed one of those "this may not be realistic, but we're doing it for movie reasons" things. Because the submarine sets and camera movements in them tended to look a like, the DoP decided to distinguish between them by using different lighting, so the audience could immediately grasp where they were when the movie cut to a submarine interior. So the Red October was lit blue, the Dallas was lit red, and the Alfa was lit green.

It hasn't come up yet in this movie, but I recall the submarine interior lighting being a nitpick in the Crimson Tide thread, so I thought it was an interesting bit of information.

Top Bottom