• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] A submariner watches "Hunt for the Red October"

JonA

Semi-retired Mod
RPGnet Member
Just to clarify a couple of points. Ryan started the film in England, during the titles he is seen being dropped off at Heathrow by his wife (well it's definitely in the UK anyway because they're in a Range Rover with British number plates, is it sad that I even noticed that registration plate is inaccurate as the film is set in 1984 but the registration is for a later year? Yeah it's sad.).

As for chronology. Patriot Games (book) was Clancy's third novel (his second Ryanverse one, his second book being the utterly brilliant, if now very dated Red Storm Rising) but it is set before The Hunt for Red October (book). Patriot Games (film) was modified from the book and set after The Hunt for Red October (film).

Btw I believe the book is far more technically accurate than the film (the workings of the central Caterpillar technology is described much differently and is basically a theoretical multiple in-line pump-jet system).

Last edited:

Ghoti

Pronounced "Fish."
Validated User
Just to clarify a couple of points. Ryan started the film in England, during the titles he is seen being dropped off at Heathrow by his wife (well it's definitely in the UK anyway because they're in a Range Rover with British number plates, is it sad that I even noticed that registration plate is inaccurate as the film is set in 1984 but the registration is for a later year? Yeah it's sad.).
The movie was originally planned to be set in the modern day (when it came out in 1990). Then, after most of the filming was done, the Soviet Union collapsed. Setting it in '84 was an afterthought.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The movie was originally planned to be set in the modern day (when it came out in 1990). Then, after most of the filming was done, the Soviet Union collapsed. Setting it in '84 was an afterthought.
Geopolitics! Messing up our movies!

Hodden

The Great
Banned
Validated User
I don't know if I'm disappointed or amazed at how little good the new drive does after all that money was spent.

Literally the first submarine to get close to it listens, thinks "huh, there's this weird sound coming from where the submarine noise used to be, let's try and follow that instead."

Ghoti

Pronounced "Fish."
Validated User
I don't know if I'm disappointed or amazed at how little good the new drive does after all that money was spent.

Literally the first submarine to get close to it listens, thinks "huh, there's this weird sound coming from where the submarine noise used to be, let's try and follow that instead."
Jones is supposed to be an extremely good sonar tech. He spends several hours of his off-watch time listening to the sounds and tracking them on his own before taking his idea to Captain Mancuso. Even then, he expects his theory to be dismissed.

Most sonar techs wouldn't have taken the time and effort to find the way to track the caterpillar drive. And most captains wouldn't have believed them if they tried. So, in the movie world where the caterpillar works and we can't track the sounds made by the support systems for the reactors, the Red October just has Really Bad Luck.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

It's a bit of a plot hole. The whole thing is predicated on the Red October being this obvious first-strike sneak weapon (which I don't actually get - as our expert points out, everybody was trying to make all the subs as quiet as possible), but it's actual ability to do the job proves minimal. The first enemy it encounters nails it. Perhaps the implication is that Soviet sonar was shitty enough to miss it? It seems you'd test this at various scales before building it into this giant expensive superboat, so you'd know if it worked or not.

Oh, The Hunt for Red October, I can't stay mad at you.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jones is supposed to be an extremely good sonar tech. He spends several hours of his off-watch time listening to the sounds and tracking them on his own before taking his idea to Captain Mancuso. Even then, he expects his theory to be dismissed.

Most sonar techs wouldn't have taken the time and effort to find the way to track the caterpillar drive. And most captains wouldn't have believed them if they tried. So, in the movie world where the caterpillar works and we can't track the sounds made by the support systems for the reactors, the Red October just has Really Bad Luck.

I stand corrected!

Valtiel

The most dangerous mistress
Validated User
I wonder if, one day, when the specification of nuclear submarines have been declassified, there'll be nuclear submarine sim games in the vein of the Silent Hunter series? Although presumably with fictional conflicts, since AFAIK a nuclear submarine has seen combat exactly once.

You mention a "waterfall" display a couple times. I was curious, so I went and plugged that into YouTube and got this video. Is that it at around 1:30, there?

[video=youtube_share;sMe7TovEneA]https://youtu.be/sMe7TovEneA?t=1m32s[/video]

Funny: The fellow being interviewed takes a shot at the movie under discussion, too. "We're not quite at the Hunt For Red October level yet..."
"We personally like the passive a lot better than the active".

YOU DON'T SAY.

I noticed the Sierra 1, 2, 3 contact numbering there as well. That was pretty cool to hear after knowing what it meant.

I wonder what that big red phone is for?

Top Bottom