• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] Anime-Gataris! Where the heroine’s favorite show is, just on the tip of her tongue...

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Melancholy of a Happy Vuvuzela
I just love this show's parody titles. Not only can you immediately guess what they're referring to, but they're often very funny in their own right.

Also, I selfishly dig the new format ; the longer writeups were often quite a bit too much to read, especially on a daily basis, and that made me skip quite a few of your WIWs that I would otherwise have enjoyed.

acksed

Validated User
This reminds me that I did have a bit of a thing for Miko when this aired, partly because of her nitpicky love of LN. (Original LN almost always here. :p)

The more considered format is fine.

q_3

Ge.
Validated User
Anyone who's disappointed in the new format can just headcanon that this is the adaptation of a much longer work. (Has there been an anime adaptation of a WIW yet??)

Rainfall

Validated User
Honestly... I MUCH prefer this new "review" format. It's breezy, and your personality shines through more strongly. The longer format was more detailed, but at the cost of sometimes reading more like a recap than seeing a piece of work through someone's eyes.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User

Oh my god I’m finally settled in. Okay, let’s work. New experiment time. People seemed to respond positively to the post-viewing format, but I found myself a bit frustrated at how difficult it was to keep everything in the order I wanted to talk about it, or to consider things in-the-moment before more data came in.

So we’re gonna try a compromise. Well, one of two. Today, I’m gonna try the simple front half / back half approach. And tomorrow, we’ll try every…I guess six minutes makes sense given the 24 minute runtime. See if one of those works out well.

Anyways, it’s Anime-Gataris, the third episode. I am presently GOING!

Spoiler: Show

Okay, episode 03! Erika, Cosplayer x Cosplayer

FRONT HALF

So we’ve got a bit of a different angle than I expected us to take, actually. Right out of the gate, we’re dealing with the student council shutting the club down…But the surprise turn is in how this doesn’t get immediately resolved, or turned into a quest. They’re, in fact, resolute in keeping the Anime Club from being properly formed, and the useless teacher is see previous adjective. Our crew’s left with no official club, no club room, no real options.

…Which is why they go to drown their sorrows in Akihabara, the mecca of the otaku. And this, THIS is where the episode picks up, and starts getting really interesting. Because we start seeing a lot of depiction of fandom, not just of references and memes. Erika, our flashy gyaru type, is perhaps unsurprisingly also a cosplay type, so she drags the whole gang into a dedicated cosplay shop.

This nets us some important things. The first, is that it shows us she’s deeply passionate in her own form. Her casual demeanor is just that, her demeanor, and has no bearing on how intensely she’ll get into something once she gets going. Hell, she even fully admits to having lost sleep more than once, researching shows for cosplay collabs.

The other thing is we get more references. Including the amazing Nakimushi Saddle, a HOT BLOODED CYCLING ANIME. I will presume that, much like the real world Yowamushi Pedal, it’s the kind of show about manly men getting all sweaty that mostly has thirsty girls watching.

And of course, Minoa’s a big fan of all of this. Not even so much the specifics of cosplay, as just that passion idea. I’m actually reminded a lot of when I recapped Comic Party a few months back; That show focused very specifically on the doujin world of the very early 2000s, and this is showing a more broad fandom view of the late 2010s, but there’s a lot of…core, that doesn’t change. That passion, that thrill, that yearning to share it with others…

Which brings us to their next stop, one of those famous many-floored book and merch stores that anime-about-anime love to depict. They’ve got magazines, they’ve got manga and light novels, they’ve got keychains(including from Micross Gamma, gotta get them references in), they’ve got posters and lewds. The pinups are where Kai inevitably gets drawn to, because, well, Kai.

Man…I feel bad for Kai, real talk. When Minoa finds him looking at sexy maids, he snatches up a slick battle poster of a girl from “Higan no Arina”, a specific reference I can’t pin down, and insists he was looking at that instead. It leads to him going off about battle anime, and…Well, see the screen cap. Kai’s real used to people just tuning him out, to not being able to share the things he loves, and Minoa’s one of the first people to actually hear him out in a while.

Not just Minoa, either. We’ve got another connection made, through Miko. She’s a big fan of the original light novels, which have a lot of meat that the anime cut out, and soon she and Kai are united and on the same page. Hurray! Also, Miko clearly has some latent chuuni in her. Hurray!

After that, it’s more the meme stuff, including discussion of the 3-episode-rule, and its nature in how the third episode is usually where the show puts its big twist to set up the real nature of the show. First episode for putting the protagonist into the premise, second episode for showing what their life looks like in the premise, third episode to kick off the plot. If shit isn’t what you like by episode three, you bail.

…Given this is an anime about anime, I have a strong suspicion the back half will get fucking weird and I’m glad I did this way. But here in the front half, the only other thing, aside from more references with the Club Room and the Fish Cat’s Elegant Life, we’ve got Arisu and Miko both ferociously refusing the idea of just making this an unofficial club and just being anime friends instead of needing the structure. The club life calls, and they will not be stymied.

Alright. Pieces in place. Let’s see how things look in 12 minutes.

BACK HALF

-The story of the Demon King and the Hero who face the world of darkness hand-in-hand: MAOEI.

So there’s our turn. Or at least, one turn amongst many still to come. We get body slammed right out the gate, technically right before the halfway point, with notice of an emergency student meeting about the future of the anime club…Which leads to a few points.

The first is that our crew needs a big speech…And Erika’s checked out on that front. At this point, she’s given up fighting for an actual club. She just wants to have some friends who get this shit, and she’d rather just take their meeting each other as good enough and quit having to fight.

Which leaves the younger ones to do it. Minoa, Miko and Arisu. Except, Arisu and Miko immediately decide to put Minoa front and center on the actual speech they’ll deliver. Sure, Arisu will write it, and sure, Miko offers her volume three of The story of the Demon King and the Hero who face the world of darkness hand-in-hand, MAOEI with its epic speech to give inspiration, but…

But not even DJ Cat can offer more than a good luck charm and encouraging words, before Minoa’s stuck in the thick.

Because when the actual meeting comes up, it’s not the council alone, or even staff, no, it’s the whole damn student body. The student council give a big speech about how worthless anime is and how it distracts from education and maturing into good adults, so, uh, I hate them. I hate them with every fiber of my being.

And I’m leaning harder on my “Arisu has no idea how normal people work” theory, because the speech she gives Minoa is just quoting classic anime speeches. Minoa’s stuck out there to flail and spiral, and when she’s forced to go off script, she’s totally lost…

Until Kai steps up. And takes off his chuuni glasses, reveals his TRUE POWER, of being a handsome boy who can speak with incredible sincerity about the idea that the one big thing that we take from anime…Is to follow our passions and to stand up for our belief in what’s right. To strive for justice, and honor, and pride, the things we learned from our heroes, and to be willing to press against the grain when the grain tells us to yield and quit dreaming.

It’s a hell of a speech, and one that turns a lot of people’s opinions around. And steams the student council real bad. Yet it’s after, when he trips from his terrible eyesight and falls right into Mitsuki’s incredibly handsome arms, that has the girls of the school supporting them in a landslide. To say nothing of how thirsty Miko gets at the sight of it.

But hey, it all works out! And when Erika, as the club president, goes to pick up their approval forms…The student council president herself wonders if things will go down the same dark road they did before.

Before.

What happened before?

That room was silent for too long for Erika to have been a member only two years ago…And we’ve already got these wrinkles with DJ Cat and the room and the missing beret and something is up. But that’s for another time. Right now, our heroes can relax. They’ve won a fierce battle. They’ve claimed a space their own.

Except next time according to DJ Cat the whole thing is gonna explode!!!

So look forward to that next time, in episode T H R E E of Anime-Gataris! Pass the time until that point!

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
People seemed to respond positively to the post-viewing format, but I found myself a bit frustrated at how difficult it was to keep everything in the order I wanted to talk about it, or to consider things in-the-moment before more data came in.
I feel like this may be pointing out the obvious, but you can have it both ways. Write your in-the-moment reactions as you watch, sleep on it, then use those notes as the basis for a more considered essay.

neOmega

Validated User
I like the format tried on the third episode. Not that the others are bad either, but this one's my favorite for now.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
So we’re gonna try a compromise. Well, one of two. Today, I’m gonna try the simple front half / back half approach. And tomorrow, we’ll try every…I guess six minutes makes sense given the 24 minute runtime. See if one of those works out well.
This is basically what I've been doing recently (inasmuch as I've written any WIW stuff in the period of time that can be called recent), though with "whenever I feel like it" instead of a set amount of time - I find it helpful at minimizing the effort I need to get something out.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I feel like this may be pointing out the obvious, but you can have it both ways. Write your in-the-moment reactions as you watch, sleep on it, then use those notes as the basis for a more considered essay.
I mean, I could do that, but that would mean doubling my work load and I'd probably have to halve or even third my output. :p And nobody wants that.

Top Bottom