[WIW] Old Black & White Sci-Fi and Horror flicks

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I love Invasion of the Neptune Men. Nobody agrees with me. :(

I mean, the movie is terrible, but it's not terrible in a way that I mind because I don't make any attempt to try and follow it, unlike some other terrible movies they've done. It's just a bunch of hilarious off-kilter posing while Mike and the bots point out how ridiculous each scene is. It's got so many great riffs!

And that would be why I love Neptune Men so much. It was my first.
Well there is a reason that one is so reviled, but I kind of want to not bring it up since we're having a good time and I don't want to ruin it for you if you don't know.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Well there is a reason that one is so reviled, but I kind of want to not bring it up since we're having a good time and I don't want to ruin it for you if you don't know.
I mean, I know the riffing can be pretty racist towards Japan, but it's so over the top that it only makes me cringe a little bit. Was there something else?

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I mean, I know the riffing can be pretty racist towards Japan, but it's so over the top that it only makes me cringe a little bit. Was there something else?
Well, I thought I read somewhere the stock footage from the bombing scenes was from actual WWII bombing, but It seems I might have been mistaken on that front. The Hitler building blowing up actually seems to have come from a Cold war propaganda movie.

So don't mind me, I'm just an idiot.

Okay, I checked the MST3K wiki, and even though the stock footage doesn't come from actual bombing, the cast and crew at the time sure thought it did, which is why they went in so hard on the riffing on this one.

MST3k Wiki said:
he production staff and cast was extremely disapproving of what appeared to be genuine WWII bombing footage being incorporated into what was essentially a sci-fi film, an attitude that was given free rein in the more-merciless-than-usual riffing. Kevin Murphy specifically cited this as one of the worst movies ever shown on the series, calling the film's director "reprehensible" for using actual WWII footage in what was basically a children's film.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Well, I thought I read somewhere the stock footage from the bombing scenes was from actual WWII bombing, but It seems I might have been mistaken on that front. The Hitler building blowing up actually seems to have come from a Cold war propaganda movie.
Honestly, it never would have occurred to me that any of the stock footage was from actual WWII bombing, rather than filmed test runs and such after the war, because it all looked too staged. I figured the Hitler Building was a controlled demolition after the war.

Okay, I checked the MST3K wiki, and even though the stock footage doesn't come from actual bombing, the cast and crew at the time sure thought it did, which is why they went in so hard on the riffing on this one.
Huh, that does explain why they were so nasty this time. I kind of like the edge, I just wish they'd aimed it at the filmmakers and not, you know, the entire nation of Japan.

A3Kitsune

Validated User
Honestly, it never would have occurred to me that any of the stock footage was from actual WWII bombing, rather than filmed test runs and such after the war, because it all looked too staged. I figured the Hitler Building was a controlled demolition after the war.
According to TV Tropes, the stock footage was from a 1960 film called World War III Breaks Out. The Hitler Building doesn't seem to be stock footage, apparently it was a reproduction of actual billboards that were common around Tokyo at the time, advertising either The Hitler Diaries or a Swedish documentary called "Mein Kampf".

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Another title I am suggesting is Devil Doll. Try to watch it without looking at a synopsis or cast list.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Another title I am suggesting is Devil Doll. Try to watch it without looking at a synopsis or cast list.
you mean the 1936 "The Devil-Doll", not the 1964 "Devil Doll" that was featured on MST3K, right? (Although that is one of the better movies they've done.)

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I can't argue with that. My first episode was The Killer Shrews and I love it for the ridiculous mess that it is. Doggies!
It suffers from the same problem of the movie you're about to do; the plot and acting isn't terrible, but the complete lack of SFX/prop budget, well...

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
Can I suggest Fiend Without a Face?

Invisible monsters (revealed on the poster), radar & nuclear shenanigans, and a girl in a towel!

Top Bottom