• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] Old Black & White Sci-Fi and Horror flicks

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
No, the problem here is Professor Walgate, gentleman larcenist of atomic radiation. Charming though he may be, Walgate has apparently began hijacking the U.S. military's nuclear energy in order to fuel his experiments.
What was he trying to do? I assume it wasn't create invisible brain vampires.

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What was he trying to do? I assume it wasn't create invisible brain vampires.
No, he had a theory that -- with enough energy -- humans could essentially move things and perform labor with the power of their minds. When he had some minor success on the front, he sought to let his thoughts "go free" to handle things without him having to focus on it. That's where we went all Lovecraftian.

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cool. That's a good match of intended and disastrous results.
I agree. One of the things that I liked about Fiend Without a Face was that, given the sci-fi nature of the thing, the narrative made a decent amount of sense. I understood what the Air Force was doing and why. The professor's motivations were at the very least understandable. Even the mental vampires, as alien as they were, made sense*.

*For a given value of "sense," obviously.

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
As far as I can tell "Sibonetics" is made up for the movie.
Could it be "cybernetics"? Was that a thing yet?

I just noticed that there's a parallel to Forbidden Planet here: both Walgate in FWAF and Morbius in FP are making mental monsters through the use of atomic power! In Morbius' case to keep his secrets to himself (with maybe some Freudian shenanigans concerning his daughter); in Walgate's case the monsters just express his desire to suck the knowledge out of other people's brains, maybe?

shikomekidomi

Validated User
Could it be "cybernetics"? Was that a thing yet?
Not from context, it seems to be something to do with energy and the mind.
I just noticed that there's a parallel to Forbidden Planet here: both Walgate in FWAF and Morbius in FP are making mental monsters through the use of atomic power! In Morbius' case to keep his secrets to himself (with maybe some Freudian shenanigans concerning his daughter); in Walgate's case the monsters just express his desire to suck the knowledge out of other people's brains, maybe?
Did they ever specify the alien' s power source was atomic in Forbidden Planet? I don't recall that, but I could see it happening.

Anyway, Morbius had a boatload of different motives, jealously protecting his daughter from horny space sailors was one, but also they were talking about forcing him to come back to Earth when he liked his life where he was, and then there was the secrets of the alien civilization that only he knew about as well. I think Walgate's creations on the other hand were, if a reflection of his desires, purer and simpler than what you've posited. Walgate wanted to feed the human mind more energy so it would grow stronger and he created monsters that existed solely to feed on energy and grow stronger. They just found human brains and atomic power the easiest forms of energy to eat.

Top Bottom