• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] Old Black & White Sci-Fi and Horror flicks

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Could it be "cybernetics"? Was that a thing yet?
That's almost certainly what it was intended to be

I just noticed that there's a parallel to Forbidden Planet here: both Walgate in FWAF and Morbius in FP are making mental monsters through the use of atomic power! In Morbius' case to keep his secrets to himself (with maybe some Freudian shenanigans concerning his daughter); in Walgate's case the monsters just express his desire to suck the knowledge out of other people's brains, maybe?
Yeah, the Fiends are distinctly a variation on Monsters from the Id; though their ability to propagate and need for neural tissue to live complicates the matter enormously. Well, at least they can be killed unlike the Id Monster.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Not from context, it seems to be something to do with energy and the mind.
It probably helps to know that the original usage was broader than we think of these days: "the science of communications and automatic control systems in both machines and living things. "

Did they ever specify the alien' s power source was atomic in Forbidden Planet? I don't recall that, but I could see it happening.
More or less; the Krell power sources were basically called fusion reactors.

Terhali

30-50 feral hogs
Validated User
It probably helps to know that the original usage was broader than we think of these days: "the science of communications and automatic control systems in both machines and living things. "
Wikipedia says that:

Cybernetics is a transdisciplinary approach for exploring regulatory systems—their structures, constraints, and possibilities. Norbert Wiener defined cybernetics in 1948 as "the scientific study of control and communication in the animal and the machine." In the 21st century, the term is often used in a rather loose way to imply "control of any system using technology." In other words, it is the scientific study of how humans, animals and machines control and communicate with each other.
The timing, as well as the broader meaning, is right for the movie to be talking about cybernetics.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
One of the things I like about Fiend Without A Face is how surprisingly gruesome it is for an American horror film of the time - the brains pulsate kinda disturbingly and bleed out ichor when shot.

Oh, speaking of blanks without blanks, how about the French language horror film Eyes Without A Face.

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wikipedia says that:

The timing, as well as the broader meaning, is right for the movie to be talking about cybernetics.
Huh, that's really interesting. Thanks for that. Now I'm going to want to use sibonetics in a Call of Cthulhu scenario.
One of the things I like about Fiend Without A Face is how surprisingly gruesome it is for an American horror film of the time - the brains pulsate kinda disturbingly and bleed out ichor when shot.

Oh, speaking of blanks without blanks, how about the French language horror film Eyes Without A Face.
I'll add it to the list, thanks!

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Maybe they were aiming to coin a word for Psi rather than si or cy?

shikomekidomi

Validated User
That's a fun one.
Wikipedia says that:The timing, as well as the broader meaning, is right for the movie to be talking about cybernetics.
The movie would have to have somehow grossly misspelled the term in a unique way for that to be true. Which isn't off the table. Alternately, they made up their own field of science but used some of the same root words as cybernetics because what it covered was adjacent.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's a fun one.

The movie would have to have somehow grossly misspelled the term in a unique way for that to be true. Which isn't off the table. Alternately, they made up their own field of science but used some of the same root words as cybernetics because what it covered was adjacent.
"Cybernetics" comes from the same root word as a modern server system, "Kubernetes". It means something like "helmsman", "governor", or "captain". It refers to the control of systems - something that a mind is definitely good at doing.

Top Bottom