• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] Old Black & White Sci-Fi and Horror flicks

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Has nobody yet suggested that great work "Plan 9 from Outer Space" - the film that replaced Bela Lugosi (who died during the shooting) with the director's chiropractor...
I'm a big fan of Plan 9, and I endorse this message.

I didn't say it was good, mind.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Plan 9 takes terrible to a level of almost unearthly perfection. The very obviously cardboard flying saucer, the weird zombie mashup... the large part of the film in which the chiropractor stand-in, who is a good six inches taller than Bela Lugosi goes around with his cloak over his face all the time to prevent us from realizing that he is not Bela Lugosi.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
That worked on me in a lopsided way in that it didn't occur to me they were meant to be the same character.

It's not worth seeing in my opinion, though. It's not bad enough to be fun, it's just bad.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lugosi first does it in an abbot & Costello movie, to shield himself from Van Helsing's cross in Dracula
Lugosi also knew how to work a cape, as evidenced by some clips in Plan 9 itself. He's swinging that thing around like it's part of his body. I bet if he'd lived, we'd have seen something much more menacing than Faceless Chiropractor.

I could say more, but I won't until our intrepid WIWer weighs in. There's... a lot going on in Plan 9.

Terhali

30-50 feral hogs
Validated User
For Ed Wood films I prefer Bride of the Monster, made when Lugosi was still alive and actively participating. He's like a shining gem buried in crap.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Plan 9 takes terrible to a level of almost unearthly perfection. The very obviously cardboard flying saucer, the weird zombie mashup... the large part of the film in which the chiropractor stand-in, who is a good six inches taller than Bela Lugosi goes around with his cloak over his face all the time to prevent us from realizing that he is not Bela Lugosi.
Also, the spectacular amount of poor gun safety. The Rifftrax for Plan 9 has a running joke of Kevin or Tom making gunshot noises every-time someone in the movie is gesturing with a gun in someone's direction (someone they are not intending to threaten) with a finger on the trigger - including at one point scratching their temple with the gun barrel. It's amazing.

Top Bottom