• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WIW] Old Black & White Sci-Fi and Horror flicks

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I had heard that about Them, so I believe it happened. But the director couldn't have signed off on something a little more dignified? Hell, one of the kids could have tripped over a broken piece of wood and gone all From Dusk Til Dawn on him.
My guess is "massive rush leading to brain seize-up".

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
That ending reminds me of the Satanic Rites of Dracula, which I watched on Amazon Prime last year for my horror marathon.

Spoiler: Show
At the end of the movie Van Helsing lurs Dracula on a chase through the lawn of his estate, he stumbles into a Hawthorne bush (one of Dracula's weaknesses, and he gets entangled long enough for Helsing to stake him.

So the climax of the movie is watching Dracula stumble into a bush, get tangled in the bush, then getting stabbed.

And this is a movie where Dracula is in the modern day, and he is the leader of a international conspiracy with MP's and heads of industry, and Dracula is plotting to release a doomsday plague to destroy the world, and he gets done in by shoddy gardening.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
And why does he even have that in his garden?
I asked that very question.

Remember, he is the head of a vast international conspiracy, with politicians and heads of industry at his beck and call, you think he could have said to the gardening staff "Hey make sure there's now Hawthorne here."

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Obviously he was too busy with big picture stuff to take care of all the little details. At that level you have to delegate a lot.

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
DRACULA'S GARDENER: Master, I have come to discuss the various shrubberies to be planted at the estate...

DRACULA: Shrubberies? Blah! Blah! I am the Lord of the Undead. I have spent the last five hundred years amassing power, both temporal and diabolic, in a bid to rule the entire world. I head a vast, international conspiracy; manipulating key players and events in a dozen countries in such a way that I not only keep the tentacles of the cabal hidden but my own vampiric nature a secret from even those who serve me. I have a few things on my plate that are a bit more pressing than shrubberies. I dominated you so that you could take care of all of my ornamental, vegetative needs. This is called delegating; I am delegating you to take care of this because it is not important. If it was important in any way, Count Vlad Dracula would be all over it: charming, conniving, controlling. But it is not important whether there are violets or pansies on the South Lawn. It's not like my garden is going to play into a folkloric weakness and ironically cause my own destruction in some really pathetic way, eh? Right? Now go plant something before I plant my boot in your arse!

DRACULA'S GARDENER: Of course, Master; sorry, Master. [whispers] Dick! Just see what I do plant on the South Lawn!

csyphrett

Validated User
DRACULA'S GARDENER: Master, I have come to discuss the various shrubberies to be planted at the estate...

DRACULA: Shrubberies? Blah! Blah! I am the Lord of the Undead. I have spent the last five hundred years amassing power, both temporal and diabolic, in a bid to rule the entire world. I head a vast, international conspiracy; manipulating key players and events in a dozen countries in such a way that I not only keep the tentacles of the cabal hidden but my own vampiric nature a secret from even those who serve me. I have a few things on my plate that are a bit more pressing than shrubberies. I dominated you so that you could take care of all of my ornamental, vegetative needs. This is called delegating; I am delegating you to take care of this because it is not important. If it was important in any way, Count Vlad Dracula would be all over it: charming, conniving, controlling. But it is not important whether there are violets or pansies on the South Lawn. It's not like my garden is going to play into a folkloric weakness and ironically cause my own destruction in some really pathetic way, eh? Right? Now go plant something before I plant my boot in your arse!

DRACULA'S GARDENER: Of course, Master; sorry, Master. [whispers] Dick! Just see what I do plant on the South Lawn!
I can totally see this
CES

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User

You may have just won my own thread, curse you. :)

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Leopard Man.jpg
14. The Leopard Man (1943)
Starring Dennis O'Keefe, Jean Brooks, James Bell, and Margo

Plot in a Sentence: A promoter's ill-advised attempt to add a leopard to his entertainer's act for no good goddamn reason at all leads to a series of deaths.

Quotable Quotations:
"This is a bad town for blondes."

"Someday you'll try on my coffin and I hope it fits you just fine."

"Cats are funny, mister. They don't want to hurt you, but if you scare them they go crazy."

"Men are all fools. They like to make a big show, hunt, shout."

"When you marry champagne, you can't trade it in for beer."

"Confession: I'm a complete softie."

"We're not going to catch a train, darling, we're going to stay right here and catch a murderer."

General Thoughts:
I really wanted to like this one more, but it was only okay. Set in New Mexico, the movie seems overstuffed with characters it wants to involve. There's the main couple of a traveling showgirl and her manager, a Latina master of the castanets, a leopard handler called Charlie How-Come, an ambitious cigarette girl, a beautiful young Latina and her boyfriend, a soft-hearted fortune teller, a skeptical sheriff, a local historian, an eccentric cemetery caretaker, and more. Rather than just letting the characters come and go, the movie seems to jump from one character's story to another, often spending a bit too long for the pacing. There seems to be some interesting ideas here, they just don't seem to have been edited together as well as I might have liked.

Honestly, I think this movie deserves a remake. You could even make it as a 6-episode run on Netflix or something. It could be set in 1940s New Mexico, as it is in the movie, but would take longer to simmer. The leopard would escape and kill Teresa in the first episode, only for the other women to be killed later in the story. Jerry and Kiki would still be the main protagonists, but having a longer run would let the other characters -- especially those who will be killed -- develop more organically. I might even push a bit harder for some vague occult horror, like that in the first season of True Detective. There's potential here, I think.

Interesting Trivia:
I noticed that one of the actresses was credited only as "Margo," so I decided to do a quick search. It seems she was a dancer from Mexico city, and her full name was María Marguerita Guadalupe Teresa Estela Bolado Castilla y O'Donnell. I love that. There's always been something I find charming about names that so clearly mix or juxtapose different ethnicities or cultures. It's something small, but I do enjoy it.

Gaming Potential:
If I wanted to use The Leopard Man as inspiration, I think I'd pattern a one-shot after it. I'd create a handful of pre-gen investigators for the players. Some might represent actual characters from the film (e.g. Maria the fortune teller, Brunton the rich club-goer, etc.) while others might be more tailored for my players. Regardless of which characters had been chosen, all would be in the club on that fateful night when Kiki led Charlie How-Come's leopard out among the diners.

After the death of the first girl, the investigators would find themselves caught in the small New Mexico town as something is hunting women after dark. I'd let the uninterested sheriff be an impediment to the investigation, forcing the investigators to take action lest more people die.

Instead of Galbraith just having snapped, I'd present him as a sort of urbane proto-ghoul. His stats would be a bit better than you'd imagine given his appearance, making him more of a threat than the investigators might imagine. Having studied a few Mythos journals very much to his detriment, witnessing poor Teresa's corpse will have finally broken his mind. Following that, the doctor crafted a weird leopard "costume" and has started stalking and killing women. His newfound ghoulish nature will make him very difficult for the authorities to deal with, leaving the investigators as the community's only real hope.

Next up... The Ghoul!

Top Bottom