• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

World of Darkness Online will be a Vampire: The Masquerade MMO

Spiritbw

Was a curious coyote, now a feudal feline.
Validated User
Six of the ten classes in WoW can change roles with spec; Paladins and Druids can be any part of the trinity. Class does not necessarily restrict role any more than clan does.

Of course it's hard to know how an MMO really plays until a while after it's out, so who's to say? :)
Very true that last. We really won't know till the end.

I just think trying to assign roles though is a bad idea for clans because like the Paladin and Druid, that could be ANY clan depending on hwo you build them. It's just bad no matter how I think about it.

CCP does own the source material, but I still think it's going to be a bit truer to that material than Greg1 thinks it's going to be. They own WW lock stock and barrel after all. IF they wanted to release a new system called Vampires: Glitter by Daylight no one could stop them.

However that they are going through all the effort of rereleasing the books even if only by POD, putting that it will be VtM front and centre and releasing the news at the biggest gathering of PnP and LARP gamers rather than the last PAX. All this raises flags to me that they are going to be trying to stay pretty close to the source material and aiming for the niche market rather than the mainstream. Add that CCP runs the biggest niche MMO that is least like WoW out there and I put a WoW style game rahter low on the list of possbility.

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
I don't know if it got repeated here, but someone who was present at the event says that they mentioned mortals would be playable from the start as well as vampires.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
I just think trying to assign roles though is a bad idea for clans because like the Paladin and Druid, that could be ANY clan depending on hwo you build them. It's just bad no matter how I think about it.
Indeed. I mean, while I'm actually not against the trinity/classes/roles, THIS is one game I would not want to see it.

I mean in tabletop-sure, the clans have their 'preferred' roles(Brujah have kinda buttkicky powers, etc). But there is nothing to say you can't play around with the points/etc, buy other abilities, and the like(hell, I still remember when I was starting up a V:tM game and my old gaming buddy made a rather vicious Toreador who did some horrible things with his bare hands and he made him a Toreador JUST because they were usually giggled at as the 'prissy ones.') I would think a class system would be pretty lame. I suppose the clans could have some 'racials' and the like that might lean toward certain things-but in general I think it should be left open.

If it were level based? I'd be cool with that-i could see something like you get to place a bunch of attributes, skills, Disciplines, like in the game at the start, and then say every even level you get a skill/talent/knowledge point, every 5th an attribute point, every 6th-7th a Discipline, every odd level a Resource or something. But just leave general 'classes' out.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Heh CoX always had the reverse effect. It always felt stagnant and repetitive and far from living.
To each their own, I suppose. I find it impossible to believe you can achieve immersion when the same dozen people are all hunting for boar's heads (or whatever) that mysteriously only every third boar seems to have.

Champions has a lot of those "do X of this in the open world" - the biggest offender would be the various Kountry Komics stuff in MC, where your big superheroic action is 'saving' boxes of comics out in the open, and there aren't even enough comic boxes to fill the goal. You actually have to wait for one of them to reset and grab it again.

That is, as the kids all say, "full of fail".

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I haven't seen much roleplay in EVE but I'll take your word for this.
There's little roleplay in EVE in that sense, but on the other hand there's plenty of inter-alliance posturing and fighting. In a certain sense, what you do in game really is what your character would do, after all.

(I think Tale in the Desert is a bit like that too, isn't it?)

The "EVE model" would work in that regard. If they simply make a huge city zone with various desirable locations and a mechanic to claim control over them, everything falls into place.

Dawgstar

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If it were level based? I'd be cool with that-i could see something like you get to place a bunch of attributes, skills, Disciplines, like in the game at the start, and then say every even level you get a skill/talent/knowledge point, every 5th an attribute point, every 6th-7th a Discipline, every odd level a Resource or something. But just leave general 'classes' out.
Maybe it would be sort of like the table-top RPG? You priortize how you want to roll: Physical/Social/Mental and the spread they give you is geared towards it. It would be 'classes' without having to lable them as such and would be a good reason to hang out with people with different abilities for when you want to go kill the giant sewer gator the Nosferatu bred and has now gone on a rampage.

Me, I'd just play a Brujah, because they can do it all. :cool:

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
I picked up V:tM Bloodlines from Steam a while ago, hoping for a sort of GTA with vampires. Regardless of my issues with their choice of game (which I also completely understand), I can't help but wonder if this game will scratch that itch.

Spiritbw

Was a curious coyote, now a feudal feline.
Validated User
I picked up V:tM Bloodlines from Steam a while ago, hoping for a sort of GTA with vampires. Regardless of my issues with their choice of game (which I also completely understand), I can't help but wonder if this game will scratch that itch.

Hard to say till we hear more info. There was suppose to be a couple of Q&A panels at the Grand Masqurade but I've yeat to hear if there was anyhting on this about it. Bloodlines wasn't quite GTA, but it was fairly decent, though teh rails started to show more on the missions as you got to the end game and the polish seemed less. Signs of a game rushed in the end for production which it was.

EDIT: acutally just heard form soemone on the Q&A:
Direct MMO Stuff:

- the game has been in development for approximately 3 years.
- This has been slowed by keeping up with EVE
- Preparing to develop 'Carbon technology' framework for what should provide state-of-the-art character customizations, unlike any seen in any game before, for the MMO.
- They are particularly psyched about the customization framework. They claim they have in fact, hired a fashion consultant, to help make the system more realistic and stylish.
- Another 1.5 years has been spent preparing the actual gameplay
- They have increased their staff by 6 times the previous head count
- They've put 629K man-hours into this MMO -- so far.

Regarding Coffee House, Sandbox and Themeparks that we've discussed on the forum, Burgermeister writes; "From what they said, these three spheres should be closely tied and interconnected together, essentially running the economy of blood in the game. "

The four overall themes they intended to have in the game are:
- Mystery
- Romance
- Power
- Danger

"For concrete facts, we learned that the game will be ready, by earliest, 2012. The game will be based on Vampire: the Masquerade. Specifically, in the initial release of the game, there will only be vampires as supernatural, playable characters. There will however, be elements from Werewolf, Changling, etc., likely in the form of environmental content, and NPCs."

-One of their criterias for success is to make the game as accessible as possible. Specifically they want to get women involved in the game, as well as casual players. Also, they want to maximize the amount of human interaction that happens in the game.

-They confirmed that the game will not be combat intensive (unless you choose as such). Knowing, influencing the correct people is arguable more important than being the biggest brawler.

-They will not be catering to immaturity in the game, however, they would like to see these types of offenses policed by players, rather than in-game mechanics.

"I personally offered up one of the board's suggestions of Permanent Death as a solution to controlling an otherwise glut of Kindred population within any one area. This was one of the suggestions that got applause from the audience. I also couldn't help but notice two of the content developers smirking -- I think permanent death is a serious possibility in the MMO. A lot of other fans made the same or similar suggestions. This remark also drew out a comment from the panel, suggesting that the game world would consist of one server rather than multiple servers, after someone else suggested that some servers offer this permanent death option while others did not. (His response "Servers? What servers?") "

-They confirmed that factions and territories will almost certainly be a big part of the game.

-They confirmed that the game will definitely contains gay clubs. This is an excellent angle to cater to the gay and lesbian audience.

-They again, did confirm, that starting off there would only be Vampires, but one of the other developers also confirmed that there would be playable human classes -- although nothing specific. I only can assume he means the likes of ghouls and hunters.

-The game will be fully PvP, i.e. there may be Elysium areas, but nothing like the flagging system, as seen in PvE WoW servers.

-In regards to the development cycles, some disciplines simply will not be included because they are way too complicate to implement well -- specifically, Temporis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom