• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC Worldsaving Club (OOC)

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Well, given it seems psychic former criminal / borderline case is taken, I think I'll reprise Seed, the Transformed, host to an alien organism now fully fused with them, cycling through a weird hybrid lifecycle and not sure where it will all go.

Haliaetus

Validated User
:O So he had a crush on a hero; another teen hero or someone older? Did they reciprocate? If they're a teen, are they at Phoenix Academy? And what kind of hero are they?
No, no, I was thinking just a powerless school friend. He (the Nova) tried to confess, but accidentally destroyed a small chunk of the school in the process. :D I would say that the friend survived, because I'm not that cruel. 😜

Meliai

bunnybunnybunny
Validated User
Can you give those of us who don't have the Unbound book some details on the Phoenix Academy? Is it a boarding school or a regular school? What sort of classes are there, or is it just regular high school stuff with super-powered extracurriculars?

[edit] Here's what I have of Stray's sheet so far. Waiting on more info until I fill out her background & such

Last edited:

TSSL

Validated User
Is UnkaJosh in? 😅

My character was named Prosper, which he doesn't like much. He thinks "Prospero" is marginally cooler, and sometimes uses that. But sometimes he just sticks with his superhero name, "Smoking Mirror." He's not actually aware that the name has anything to do with with a god...

I'm definitely thinking really restrictive and conservative parents who want him to be a proper young gentleman, and are hopeful that Phoenix Academy will help him shape up.
Also, while he's gay, he's generally not out... he really doesn't want his parents to know...

Look: Man, Hispanic/Latino&Indigenous&White, untrusting eyes, rebellious clothing, skimpy costume

Abilities: illusions & emotion control
These are both manifestations of the same underlying ability. The illusions exist in the mind of whomever he's using the power against, not some sort of light manipulation or whatever, so they won't show up on film or the like. The abilities seem most effective the more similar the brain. He can use them quite well against any mammal, and with somewhat increased difficulty on other land vertebrates. They don't work on others... which means robots and aliens are generally immune too...

I kinda want to boost Savior, even though that means having three stats at 0. But I'm not sure any of the others really fit my conception? I'll have to consider.

I've some ideas on backstory and will try to get this out tomorrow.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Well, given it seems psychic former criminal / borderline case is taken, I think I'll reprise Seed, the Transformed, host to an alien organism now fully fused with them, cycling through a weird hybrid lifecycle and not sure where it will all go.
Cool! Is it all Cronenberg-style body horror or does Seed look like a pretty normal person? Do they have a regular costume or is it like Venom where the costume is the symbiote?
No, no, I was thinking just a powerless school friend. He (the Nova) tried to confess, but accidentally destroyed a small chunk of the school in the process. :D I would say that the friend survived, because I'm not that cruel. 😜
How did the friend take it? Are they still a "thing"? Or has your character found someone else to be with now that they're at Phoenix?
Is UnkaJosh in? 😅
That's my question! Unka Josh Unka Josh ?
My character was named Prosper, which he doesn't like much. He thinks "Prospero" is marginally cooler, and sometimes uses that. But sometimes he just sticks with his superhero name, "Smoking Mirror." He's not actually aware that the name has anything to do with with a god...

I'm definitely thinking really restrictive and conservative parents who want him to be a proper young gentleman, and are hopeful that Phoenix Academy will help him shape up.
Also, while he's gay, he's generally not out... he really doesn't want his parents to know...
Hm, okay. So is he still closeted at the school? Do you have any ideas on how you want to work that into the story?
I kinda want to boost Savior, even though that means having three stats at 0. But I'm not sure any of the others really fit my conception? I'll have to consider.

I've some ideas on backstory and will try to get this out tomorrow.
Something useful can be to look at the basic moves and see which stat is used for which move. Savior makes you better at taking hits for someone and defending them. You'll still take a hit from that but you'll keep someone else safe. It's a very classic superhero move.
Boosting Mundane would make you better at relating to people on a personal level, talking to them and figuring out what's going on with them. It makes you very good at interpersonal interactions, both to help them out gently and to understand what they're thinking.
Danger makes you better at taking on threats head-on. If you want to charge recklessly into a fight, a high Danger is good.
Freak makes it easier to use your powers in weird and unconventional ways. You can always just say "I'm using my powers," but with a high Freak you can affect your surroundings in astonishing ways or discover new things around you.
And a good Superior means you have a handle on what's happening. It makes it easier to talk down to people and control them verbally and emotionally, and to figure out what's going on around you.
Can you give those of us who don't have the Unbound book some details on the Phoenix Academy? Is it a boarding school or a regular school? What sort of classes are there, or is it just regular high school stuff with super-powered extracurriculars?

[edit] Here's what I have of Stray's sheet so far. Waiting on more info until I fill out her background & such
The Phoenix Academy is actually Halcyon City's second attempt at a school for young people with superpowers. The current version was founded a few years ago by Hellbinder, a former villain who was himself responsible for destroying the last version. He's since reformed and opened the current building on an island off the coast of the city. While the academy has become his passion and few would doubt his devotion to it, he is technically still on parole and restricted to the island itself.

From the outside (and the sky, and orbit, and...) Phoenix Academy looks like an ultra-modern college or tech campus -- lots of glass walls and naked, burnished steel girders and complex webwork of carbon-fiber struts holding up the ceiling. The classrooms utilize the latest in LCD displays and holography, and students are given a tablet to carry from class to class instead of a bag full of books. Even the dormitories (for those who live on campus; there's both a dock and a helipad, as well as other ways for students to attend classes while living in the city) are open concept and integrate a number of smart-home features.

Underneath the surface, the academy boasts technology from all over the galaxy. Aside from environmental chambers tuned to any number of extraterrestrial lifeforms and hybrids, Phoenix Academy boasts top-grade medical facilities and rooms that can reconfigure their interior to simulate almost any combat scenario. The Academy exists to teach all sorts of superpowered teens, though, not just the next generation of superheroes, and so has classes and clubs devoted to all the normal stuff you might expect to find in a high school; sports, foreign languages, arts, gaming, politics, and travel just to name a few. The school uses the full breadth of its superpowered faculty, though -- the water polo team plays in zero-gravity chambers, bouncing between spheres of water. The foreign language club coordinates with the theater club to put on Shakespeare plays in Argonian. And the travel club is petitioning the faculty to allow them to take a week-long trip to Vogos Prime.

There are any numbers of rumors and stories that swirl about the Academy and the island itself. Like the whole structure is really a hard light projection, or a sentient nanite colony, or a magical construct. Or the time when a piece of super-tech malfunctioned and trapped the tennis team in practice for what seemed like three hours inside but was two weeks on the outside. The few times a villain has tried to attack the Academy, they've been repelled by both the faculty and few superteams still learning at the Academy.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Seed doesn't need a custom, they're body is capable of exuding something like chitin but with cuttlefish skin properties. The alien organism is sort of like a fungus but one that anticipates some sort of other species forming lichen like colonies with it, at least that's the current theories. In terms of appearance, it is obvious that Seed isn't quite human anymore. Their body shape is generally human, though their height, weight, and build shift over the course of a set of complex cycles as human hormone cycles and the alien organisms' rhythms accommodate one another. Since Seed's flesh is more, malleable, it can be pretty drastic at times.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Seed doesn't need a custom, they're body is capable of exuding something like chitin but with cuttlefish skin properties. The alien organism is sort of like a fungus but one that anticipates some sort of other species forming lichen like colonies with it, at least that's the current theories. In terms of appearance, it is obvious that Seed isn't quite human anymore. Their body shape is generally human, though their height, weight, and build shift over the course of a set of complex cycles as human hormone cycles and the alien organisms' rhythms accommodate one another. Since Seed's flesh is more, malleable, it can be pretty drastic at times.
Does their alien visitor require some specific nutrition or something else? Exotic radiation? Is it bothered by something common, like pollen or direct sunlight?

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Seed's not sure; those who help study and contain the situation give them a steady diet of supplements and a shifting set of warnings. In truth, the organism adapted to earth conditions via a mix of Seed's human DNA and automatic analysis of earth's biosphere and other properties. All of the supplements are essentially puzzle boxes to keep Seed's alien systems interested / distracted so they don't start doing stuff like trying to reproduce or spread to other things or whatever the hell they might do once they've hit a natural equilibrium.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
That's a very Star Trek solution. I like it a lot.

What about the host? Who are they? How do they feel about this? What was their story, before becoming a host for an alien lichen?

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Zach Lawson was a normal teen, looked up to supers, wanted to be among them, and all that. He had a lower middle-class upbringing, his dad was a trade professional and mother worked in the office of the contractor that his dad usually worked with. He figured he'd end up going into a trade like his dad, which didn't seem so bad as it didn't seem as consuming as the more professional jobs of some of his schoolmates' parents. Now, well, Seed isn't going to become an electrician, and it doesn't seem like Seed will become Zach again.

Top Bottom