• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC Worldsaving Club (OOC)

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Zach Lawson was a normal teen, looked up to supers, wanted to be among them, and all that. He had a lower middle-class upbringing, his dad was a trade professional and mother worked in the office of the contractor that his dad usually worked with. He figured he'd end up going into a trade like his dad, which didn't seem so bad as it didn't seem as consuming as the more professional jobs of some of his schoolmates' parents. Now, well, Seed isn't going to become an electrician, and it doesn't seem like Seed will become Zach again.
So Zach had a nice middle-class life. And then this alien thing came to him. Tell me a little bit about that -- how did it come to Earth? Was it the result of a superbattle that teleported in something from another dimension or did it fall from space in a meteor or something? Is it actually alien, or was it made in a lab on this planet? How come it bonded with Zach and not a stray dog or a tree?

I feel like Zach is going to have a lot of interaction with the school medical staff, so I'd like your input on that. Who is the person Zach meets with regularly to keep an eye on the lichen's growth? How do they regard Zach -- as a brave hero struggling under a burden, as a poor victim doing the best they can, or as just another subject under a petri dish? Remember that this could be a retired superhero or a paroled supervillain.

Why does Zach stay in the city? Why doesn't he run far, far away from all of his problems and try to disappear?

Haliaetus

Validated User
How did the friend take it? Are they still a "thing"? Or has your character found someone else to be with now that they're at Phoenix?
They were never a thing... 😅 It was a one-sided crush even before the second-degree burns... 😦 And no, he's not with anybody else since then.

I haven't yet worked out an actual name for him, but I'm thinking of using "Quantum Rift" as his super-name (and thus using the quantum rift/cosmic energies as his power source). For appearance, would it be possible to have normal skin when he's not using his power and glowing skin when he is, or do I need to choose one or the other? 😕

I'm thinking that he would probably have some scientists, probably people associated with the school, trying to help him with his powers, and for the remaining backstory questions: he uses his powers so that he can learn to control them without hurting people, and he cares for the team because they're the only friends he has who he trusts to be able to defend themselves if he lost control. (For the rest of his backstory, I'm going to say that he had a very good life, with loving parents and good friends... all of whom he refuses to get close to again out of fear of hurting them.)

For powers, I can see him concentrating on teleportation-style things (Move and Snatch), plus Elemental Awareness, as he sees all three as very safe uses of his powers. His fourth power, on the other hand, will be Reality Storm, which is what happens when he doesn't take care to control his powers.

I think that was everything (other than name and look) that I had to do before the team was formed. :unsure: Did I miss anything?

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I haven't yet worked out an actual name for him, but I'm thinking of using "Quantum Rift" as his super-name (and thus using the quantum rift/cosmic energies as his power source). For appearance, would it be possible to have normal skin when he's not using his power and glowing skin when he is, or do I need to choose one or the other? 😕
I'm okay with your character having normal-looking skin most of the time and glowing skin when they use their powers.
I think that was everything (other than name and look) that I had to do before the team was formed. :unsure: Did I miss anything?
Well if you just want to do all of your backstory questions in a rush...
There's still one thing left to answer. When (y)our team first came together... you destroyed your surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did you destroy?

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
So Zach had a nice middle-class life. And then this alien thing came to him. Tell me a little bit about that -- how did it come to Earth? Was it the result of a superbattle that teleported in something from another dimension or did it fall from space in a meteor or something? Is it actually alien, or was it made in a lab on this planet? How come it bonded with Zach and not a stray dog or a tree?
The entity* landed in the family yard; though nobody was tracking anything going through space and heading towards the earth, nor were there any blips. Currently it is suspected of having been a stealth seed pod of some sort (hence Seed's name), with panspermia wackaloons all fucking over it. Sensible panspermia folks are also excited about it, they just have the decency to not be creepy excited about it.

Prevailing theory is that Zach encountered it in the right time frame for bonding and that he presented the most obvious choice—reasoning ranges from being the largest animal present to it being obvious by the time the two encountered one another that humans drove environmental shift currently. What is known re: why trees and other plants didn't form an obvious basis is that Seed can exploit, and extend, the mycorrhizal network, so probably saw it as unnecessary or redundant to bond directly with vegetation.

(I think the specific origin / reason of bonding is one of the areas best hammered into specifics in play within the above general framework)

*The alien portion was not given a Latin name because of arguing over conventions of something of unknown origins and never having been observed in its free state. Informally those who discuss it call it the Spore, officially it is known as Exo-sample 333.

I feel like Zach is going to have a lot of interaction with the school medical staff, so I'd like your input on that. Who is the person Zach meets with regularly to keep an eye on the lichen's growth? How do they regard Zach -- as a brave hero struggling under a burden, as a poor victim doing the best they can, or as just another subject under a petri dish? Remember that this could be a retired superhero or a paroled supervillain.
Ghost Orchid was the natural choice, after all she's mostly considered a supervillain for political reasons—and poisoning an oil company CEO, but superheroes in good standing have done worse things, so you know. Given that Ghost Orchid has some experience with being transformed by things (the amount of plant and fungus based toxins she's handled have had some unfortunate effects), she seems a natural direct point of contact in addition to someone who would have to be consulted. There are of course staff members who mostly make sure that Ghost Orchid doesn't succumb to temptation in terms of using what is learned from Seed.

As far as Seed can tell, Ghost Orchid is actually sympathetic to them as someone who didn't choose this, and isn't all that interested in exploiting Exo-sample 333, though she is a firm advocate for attempts to cultivate an as pure as possible distinct sample of the Exo-sample. As far as it has trickled back to Seed, the prevailing plan on that front is to take a sample and try and kill / separate the human derived parts and see what's left and if it is viable.

Why does Zach stay in the city? Why doesn't he run far, far away from all of his problems and try to disappear?
So at first Zach was considered he was going to die. The Exo-sample joining was not a fun experience. In the slightest. And pretty soon in the process those responding to the medical crisis realized a quarantine would be in order. By the time that it became obvious that the Exo-sample wasn't killing Zach, nor going to cause an epidemic, there were new people involved and the promise of being a superhero and hearing that Ghost Orchid would have to be consulted all got Zach invested in staying.

Now, well, now Seed could probably go to ground—literally. But, there's the team, and the adults, and there's constantly seconding guessing themselves that any urge to run and hide is actually some compulsion from their new weird life cycle and that it would involve rooting in place or dispersing into a spore cloud or something like that.

TSSL

Validated User
Question: Is there a specific age range the Academy takes that our characters should be aiming for? Or just general "somewhere in the vicinity of teenagers" like the main game?

Backstory!

As far as Prosper's family goes, I'm thinking his father's side is fairly well off. Not like Batman-rich or anything, just like upper middle class, maybe something in finance (which well be interconnected with some villain organization or whatever). Pretty large family on that side, lots of cousins. His mother's been more of a traditional stay-at-home mom, and her roots go back to Mexico... and ultimately, are mainly Nahua. As is a certain talisman he found, not that he knows this. His younger sister, Patience, has been the model child that he is not, and constantly reminds him of this fact, but occasionally lets slip that she actually thinks he's kinda cool.

• How did you get your powers?

he snuck into an experiment where some group was trying to create superheroes 😯 He accidentally fell into a vat of chemicals. And then this talisman on display started calling to him. He snatched it and got out without being caught because, without really understanding how, he was now able to distract the guards. But ever since then, there's been this other presence that talks to him out of the talisman, and sometimes he can see a shadowy form in mirrors that no one else can.
• What do you do for fun?

Prosper sneaks out a lot and enjoys exploring. His powers have made it easier to defuse dangerous situations too, and he's increasingly been making his way into buildings he's not supposed to. He's also discovered that illusions are a great substitute for fake IDs, so he's sometimes tried out nightclubs or bars... including a gay bar at one point, though he's been too nervous to stick around much.

But most of all, he tries to impress the "tough kids" from his old school and try to convince them he's tough like them. It's been a mixed success.

"Exploring" on the internet can be fun too; he likes the anonymity. He also really enjoys playing dating sims, but admits this to no one.

• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

You could make the case for Prosper's dad, Mr. Blau, but that's more a case of not having any real idea what his son's like in the first place. He just doesn't pay all that much attention, and is convinced his son is growing up as a proper young gentleman. And, like, the piercings are just a phase or something. He'll grow up fine. And he's really proud of the superpower thing... just think, a superhero in the family! (His mother's got a much more accurate but, unfortunately, negative view, but is hopeful that the Academy will help.)

But the most genuine one is Breanna ("Bre" for short). A grade above him in school, they've been friends since early childhood, and she's been generally encouraging without being overly judgmental. They both switched over to Phoenix Academy in the same year. They dated for a bit, until Bre came out to Prosper as gay, which led to him coming out to her as well, the first time he'd told anyone. They're still pretending to be a couple, mostly as a show for each other's parents, but she's increasingly considering just coming out publicly. Even in other parts of life, though, she's Prosper's main confidante, and she really believes he can do more than he thinks... not in terms

• Why do you try to be a hero?

He won't tell anyone, but it's because he's scared... scared of being helpless, scared of being hurt, scared of never amounting to much. And because of this, he wants to do anything he can to prevent others from being afraid the same way.

• Why do you care about the team?

So, uh... with the academy setting, how does the team thing work?

Hm, okay. So is he still closeted at the school? Do you have any ideas on how you want to work that into the story?
Yeah, Bre's the only person who really knows. Aside from maybe a few guys he's flirted with, but those weren't people he really knew.

For the story, I guess just play it by ear? I think he'll pretty naturally be pushing at the boundaries of the closet, and the fake-dating thing is definitely going to unravel. I suppose I don't really want a lot of doom and gloom and prejudice, but he's definitely worried about it and not sure how everyone will react.

And a good Superior means you have a handle on what's happening. It makes it easier to talk down to people and control them verbally and emotionally, and to figure out what's going on around you.
I'm kinda leaning toward that now, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

Did I miss anything?
Stat booooost 😜
(You said you were thinking of boosting Freak even further, right?)

Haliaetus

Validated User
Okay so, I'll try to get a more full backstory in here:
Nathan Jeffries was born the first of three children (with a brother and a sister) to a reasonably well-off family. His father is a surgeon, and his mother a lawyer, and while they were both often absent due to work, they were certainly caring, and accepted his homosexuality without question. At school, he was a respected athlete [I'm assuming the setting is US, so I'll say he played football], had a large number of friends, and although he wasn't the most academically successful, he did well enough there, too.

Everything was going great for him... until the day he tried to confess his crush on his best friend, Aaron. As he began stuttering through his planned confession, the world around him began warping. Reality began to tear itself asunder, and the tears began to glow a burning white. Windows shattered, people screamed, and Aaron collapsed, clutching his face. And Nathan ran; instinctively sensing that he was somehow causing this. By the time he collapsed, exhausted, his power and energy spent, five people -- including Aaron -- were in critical condition and a further eleven were injured, and tens of thousands of dollars of damage had been done to the school and its surroundings.

Over the next few months, Nathan was kept in isolation while his condition was studied. Eventually, it was determined that a small tear in reality -- termed a quantum rift -- had formed within his body. Somehow, the rift had not only not killed him, but had instead bonded with his body in such a way that he had a small amount of subconscious control over it, with the potential to cause much worse devastation that had happened at his school if he ever lost control again. There was no way to fix the rift without killing him. After this, he enrolled at the Phoenix Academy, with the hope that he might some day learn to control his power, and be able to return to his friends and family, who he had refused to see after the incident, preferring to keep in contact with them only at long distance. [Are there any professors at the academy who could be most responsible for helping him control his power, or should I create them as an NPC myself?]

Look:
Man, white, normal/glowing skin (depending on whether he's using his powers or not), with fashionable clothing and a colourful costume.

There's still one thing left to answer. When (y)our team first came together... you destroyed your surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did you destroy?
Okay, I had thought that that would be part of the team discussions, sorry... 😅 I guess it depends on the sorts of places we would have been expected to fight, and why. :unsure:

Stat booooost 😜
(You said you were thinking of boosting Freak even further, right?)
Oops... 😜 Yeah, boosting Freak.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Question: Is there a specific age range the Academy takes that our characters should be aiming for? Or just general "somewhere in the vicinity of teenagers" like the main game?
Teenaged. Nothing that will violate laws when they get into tangled relationships.

Meliai

bunnybunnybunny
Validated User
Stray backstory!

How did you gain your skills?
"Ah, well I mean they're not really anything special so it's not a super interesting story, right? I had, like, way too much energy as a kid so my mom signed me up for gymnastics a few years back. I dropped that freshman year but then I got into free running and there's like a decent amount of overlap. So just mostly practice and falling on my face a lot and hoping no one cute saw? The bow stuff is newer, Phoenix has a lot of real weird extracurriculars and archery club sounded novel and cool. I didn't really start taking it seriously until I started working with the team but I think I'm getting pretty good. When you are tiny and squishy and your only superpower is talking to cats it's good to stay out of punching range of villains when possible, right?

"Oh! Oh wait did you mean the cat thing? Man I have no idea where that came from. Never bitten by a radioactive cat, no shapeshifters or mystic kitty warriors in my heritage as far as I know. Pretty sure I didn't even notice I was hearing anything new until a few weeks after It first started, cats are pretty quiet and I thought the yelling in the alley behind my apartment at night was just, like, drunk folks or something."

When did you first put on your costume?
"Last summer. I don't live in the best neighborhood; it's not, like, horrible or anything but there's a crime problem, breaking & entering and muggings mostly, a few assaults. We don't really get supervillians running through so the big heroes never pop in. Occasionally a newbie trying to make a name for themselves will do patrols for a while, but they're never around long. I just wanted to help I guess? So I bought some cheap crap from a costume shop and boom, Stray was born. I, uh, didn't pick the name. I was gonna come up with some cool cat-based name because of the ears but a couple jerks I scared away from an old lady they were harassing called me a stray and the old lady assumed that was my hero name or whatever and by the next morning basically the whole neighborhood had heard.

"No one believes me but I swear I bought the costume and stuff before the cat talking started. I even went and checked with Ms Mystic when I first started at Phoenix in case I'd accidentally bought a magic mask or something. Weirder stuff has happened, right? But it's all just regular cheap costume stuff. Coincidence, I guess. At least I don't have to worry about rebranding."

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?
[Not sure on this one yet. I'm waffling between a well-meaning faculty member who thinks she's going to get herself hurt, and a conventionally superpowered student who thinks Stray's just going to drag the rest of the team down. Or could swap their motivations? Thoughts?]

Why do you try to be a hero?
"I dunno, I couldn't just stand by and not help when there was maybe something I could do, ya know?"

Why do you care about the team?
"They don't talk down to me, or treat me like a joke. I mean I don't think they do. Why, have you heard something I haven't?"

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?
[Not sure on this one yet. I'm waffling between a well-meaning faculty member who thinks she's going to get herself hurt, and a conventionally superpowered student who thinks Stray's just going to drag the rest of the team down. Or could swap their motivations? Thoughts?]
It could be a superpowered student, maybe the child of a more famous hero, who thinks Stray doesn't "belong;" hide that under a veneer of "what if she gets hurt" and you'd have a fine rivalry, I think. You could also have a teacher that is genuinely worried for Stray's safety. Or maybe her parents just recently found out about her crimefighting and aren't happy about it!

I think we have the characters nailed down well enough to start answering the questions about when we first came together.

TSSL TSSL Prosper, We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?
Meliai Meliai Stray, We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?
Haliaetus Haliaetus We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?
The Tim The Tim We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

TSSL

Validated User
Teenaged. Nothing that will violate laws when they get into tangled relationships.
I think I'll be saying Prosper is a junior.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?
Okay, so Prosper may have broken the team into a private lab and uploaded the experimentation logs online, but they were experimenting on giving animals superpowers! That information should've been public!

That would've been, let's see... trespassing, breaking and entering, copyright violation, breaking his parent's curfew... 🤔

Top Bottom