• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Aleph: Everything Old Is Rotted Through Again...

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, if Jack convinces Nilbog to go even more nutso, to the point where Nilbog kills him and lets the entire Slaughterhouse Army off the leash whilst also deciding to strike out on his 'own', then I think that might qualify under 'things that might end the world'.

Just sayin'.
Could it really? Nilbog could probably be solved with a few well-placed nukes. The Slaughterhouse members are terrible, but without Jack to guide them they'd fracture and go on their own, and individually they're much easier to handle. They're bad, but by themselves I don't think they're "kill two-thirds of humanity" bad.

Not to mention the control Contessa will ask Bonesaw for (which implies Bonesaw will be alive to give it). Granted, she could ask for it *after* the Slaughterhouse-ites run amok for a while.

Truthseeker

Validated User
I think they're actually afraid to nuke Nilbog. They wouldn't bomb the area conventionally because he'd managed to create monsters that reproduce with exposure to fire.

DMGnome

Retired User
Yeah, the PRT walled up Ellisburg and let him keep it. He's powerful enough they can't kill him easily, and he doesn't have any goals of expanding his territory—best to leave him be.

mc2rpg

Retired User
Could it really? Nilbog could probably be solved with a few well-placed nukes. The Slaughterhouse members are terrible, but without Jack to guide them they'd fracture and go on their own, and individually they're much easier to handle. They're bad, but by themselves I don't think they're "kill two-thirds of humanity" bad.
Individually the members of the Nine might be easier to handle, but they will also cause FAR more casualties then they ever would as a group. Jack is the only thing keeping them from slaughtering people on an absolutely massive scale. He is the one that wants the killing to be a spectacle rather than just a massacre.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Individually the members of the Nine might be easier to handle, but they will also cause FAR more casualties then they ever would as a group. Jack is the only thing keeping them from slaughtering people on an absolutely massive scale. He is the one that wants the killing to be a spectacle rather than just a massacre.
That's what Jack claims.

A cynical person might point out that most of them didn't seem interested in doing massacres for the sake of massacres before they met him. One might wonder if without his influence, they'd just wander off to pursue their obsessions without making killing people a special goal. I mean, I'm not saying they wouldn't be monsters, just that they'd revert to understandable monsters with motivations beyond "be a serial killer".

Last edited:

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
Could it really? Nilbog could probably be solved with a few well-placed nukes.
People keep forgetting the part in the Nilbog/"Lady"/Calvert Interlude where it is revealed that Nilbog was left alone because he'd figured out how to make his creations self-replicate when set on fire. Nuking him is ... not currently worth the risk.

Reveen

Validated User
People keep forgetting the part in the Nilbog/"Lady"/Calvert Interlude where it is revealed that Nilbog was left alone because he'd figured out how to make his creations self-replicate when set on fire. Nuking him is ... not currently worth the risk.
He's also had alot of time, enough time to breed his people for radiation resistance and to dig downwards. Hey cool, maybe the town itself is empty and most of the habitation is underground. Real Hellboy shit.

I really hope they're not just a pack of slavering monsters still, seeing these guys as an actual self contained culture would be interesting. Just like I secretly wish that one of Skitter or Vista's Echidna clones escaped.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Dragon down. I repeat, Dragon down. :eek: And this is somehow a good thing, EotW-wise.

What's Lisette doing blabbing on Parahumans Online?

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
I think that one of Worm's main themes is that people often let their own need to be in control prevent them from cooperating, which leads to disaster for everyone.

It just keeps happening.

Cauldron perpetuates evil because it always has to be in control. If it revealed its existence and shared its power, it could create a new golden age. It could bring some peace and order to the world. But no, for some nebulous reason it has to stay secret and unaccountable.

The Yangban gets little done and has very few members (compared to China's population) because it brainwashes its capes and refuses to cooperate with anyone (except for that one time, which ended badly). I mean, if being a Yangban member wasn't such a nightmare then that power network of theirs could attract some people who could use it in incredible ways.

Phir Se would have blown up India if Taylor hadn't convinced him to cooperate with other people.

The Protectorate shows this with the way they treat villains, too. They create villains with their need to be in charge all the time.

And then there's Richter and his dead man's switch. Because apparently talking to Dragon and getting her to understand how dangerous she could become wasn't as good an idea as giving some random jackass the ability to murder her.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Feels like Wildbow is trying to tell us something.

What's Lisette doing blabbing on Parahumans Online?
Might not be her. Anyone can claim to control Scion.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
You know what no one is saying? "I guess Nilbog will kill Jack. Problem solved!"

All this from a guy whose power is to cut things with a knife from a distance, technically making him approximately as dangerous as a dude with a rifle.
Well, cut everything within the arc created by the sweep of his blade. He's like a rifleman that can kill hundreds of people with a single pull of the trigger. But yeah, he's basically just a mid-rank Striker, which makes the damage he's doing all the more impressive.

I concur. Tinker 1. Notice how little instruction/training she needed to design and create them. Even if it's technically a result of her Thinker multitasking, the PRT ratings system only cares about *what*, not how.
I disagree. I think Tinker denotes the creation of super-science crap. Accord could build intricately complicated devices, but nothing indicates that regular engineers with design schemata couldn't do the same. Armsmaster, as a counterexample, flatly stated that Tinker-tech can only really be built and maintained by Tinkers, preferably the Tinker who initially created it. Weaver's spidersilk suits are really cool, but they aren't anything that normal people couldn't design, create and maintain, so they aren't Tinker stuff.

Top Bottom