• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Aleph: Everything Old Is Rotted Through Again...

Reveen

Validated User
I'm guessing the drop in percentage was little more than the branching of paths. Many more possible outcomes opening up at once, squeezing out the apocalypse just a little bit, provided everything goes well.

Of course, this is Worm. Expect things to devolve into chaos and the world to start crashing down on Saint's head with an avalanche of evil and stupid descisions. With Saint being unable to act against it because he's pretty much a chimpanzee trying to work a space shuttle now.

I think that one of Worm's main themes is that people often let their own need to be in control prevent them from cooperating, which leads to disaster for everyone.

It just keeps happening.
The theme could also be about the dangers of a self centered "I'm the one" attitude. Cauldron, Phir Se, the PRT, Saint and god knows how many others believe themselves to be the only ones who can save the world. They're the ones who have to make the decisions, and everyone else has to accept the sacrifices because they just don't see the big picture, man. My way is right, theirs are wrong, if I have to sacrifice others to fulfill my goals so be it, nobody else can realize what's at stake and what needs to be done.

See also: All the times a superhero decides to take the world into their own hands, Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Ultimate Nick Fury you name 'em.

Last edited:

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
The theme could also be about the dangers of a self centered "I'm the one" attitude. Cauldron, Phir Se, the PRT, Saint and god knows how many others believe themselves to be the only ones who can save the world. They're the ones who have to make the decisions, and everyone else has to accept the sacrifices because they just don't see the big picture, man. My way is right, theirs are wrong, if I have to sacrifice others to fulfill my goals so be it, nobody else can realize what's at stake and what needs to be done.
Yeah, exactly!

That's what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

"I'm the one who has to make the decisions, and everyone else has to accept the sacrifices."

The problem in a nutshell.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Saint interlude, she-wolves!

Well, that won't come back to bite anyone in the rear!

Ok, so I think Saint finding the message from Panacea that the Simurgh interrupted could be the key to something, and why the number's jumped.

Asymptotic Binary

Totally A Pigeon
Dragon having a killswitch, in and of itself, is a dick move.

Dragon being designed to be utterly and completely incapable of being aware of such a killswitch? Even more of a dick move. Because it means she would have no way at all to build in a contingency plan.

Finally, Richter's reasoning for even building in a killswitch in the first place? Ugh.

The universe of Worm is not one where I'd expect some sort of miraculous recovery or what-have-you, but that doesn't mean I won't be wanting one in this case. Badly. Because the way Saint took her down is just cheap, and his justification? Weak, and blatantly self-serving. Ugh.

If Dragon can't come back, I can only hope that Defiant avenges her.

Noliar

Validated User
Defiant will avenge her or die trying. The only person who could have persuaded him otherwise is the one they just killed. And then, instead of passing on her last words, Saint called him a robo-fetishist. The very fact that he's too busy to go after them right now will intensify the hatred and give him more time to slip from the twelve step program.

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
Yeah, Saint's a real shitheel, huh? Still, he did just tripple the worlds' survival chances, apparently. It's gonna come back to bite someone in the ass though, guaranteed.

Reveen

Validated User
Defiant will avenge her or die trying. The only person who could have persuaded him otherwise is the one they just killed. And then, instead of passing on her last words, Saint called him a robo-fetishist. The very fact that he's too busy to go after them right now will intensify the hatred and give him more time to slip from the twelve step program.
Yes, good! Bury him under a mountain of hatred!

Yeah, Saint's a real shitheel, huh? Still, he did just tripple the worlds' survival chances, apparently. It's gonna come back to bite someone in the ass though, guaranteed.
Ha, don't count on it. Far more likely this was the turning point in the whole scenario. Saint killing Dragon could have been the part where the entire End of the World get's it's start. Not when the world actually ends, mind you, but when the window of opportunity opens, along with dozens and dozens of new variables that may avert or cause disaster. The apocalypse might not a singular event, but a cascade of events allowed by the death of Dragon and trigger by Jack, and the only person who could possibly keep it under control has left the building.

Also, between you and me, I'm betting Simurgh wanted Saint to discover Amy's message instead of Dragon, else she could have made it completely unsalvageable. Because he's going to take it straight to Cauldron, and then she finally has her hooks in those fuckers.

Last edited:

saintsant

Retired User
Also, between you and me, I'm betting Simurgh wanted Saint to discover Amy's message instead of Dragon, else she could have made it completely unsalvageable. Because he's going to take it straight to Cauldron, and then she finally has her hooks in those fuckers.
Cauldron already knows whatever it is Amy uncovered; Marquis threatening to spill the beans at the summit as much as confirms it.

Top Bottom