• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Aleph: Everything Old Is Rotted Through Again...

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You know, I don't want Defiant to make a big production out of killing Saint. No sturm und drang, no lengthy speeches. Just switch him off and feel nothing further about it.

Interesting that taking Dragon out now improved the end of the world but also raised the number of casualties. I'm not clear how that works? Previously the End of the World was spoken of in terms of % of humans remaining afterwards. So what number of humans killed is the new number more than? Maybe the number killed in the best case scenario (where the world doesn't end)? Meaning previously they could had a small chance to save the world and only have 10,000 people die. Now they've got a better chance to save the world but 200,000 people will die in the best case scenario.

Wildbow

Retired User
You know, I don't want Defiant to make a big production out of killing Saint. No sturm und drang, no lengthy speeches. Just switch him off and feel nothing further about it.

Interesting that taking Dragon out now improved the end of the world but also raised the number of casualties. I'm not clear how that works? Previously the End of the World was spoken of in terms of % of humans remaining afterwards. So what number of humans killed is the new number more than? Maybe the number killed in the best case scenario (where the world doesn't end)? Meaning previously they could had a small chance to save the world and only have 10,000 people die. Now they've got a better chance to save the world but 200,000 people will die in the best case scenario.
Casualties pre-end of world, ie. those that Jack causes.

Do we have anything to causally link the change in the numbers to Dragon's death?
Timing. It coincided with what he did to Dragon.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Random thoughts from this chapter:

- Since killing Dragon didn't prevent the end of the world, we've got supporting evidence that she wasn't going to become Skynet and be the cause of it. There are plot paths that would still allow for that but the smart money seems to be on Saint being utterly wrong in his fear of what Dragon could become.

- Now that Dragon's dead will she become the Ghost in the Machine? (picturing Defiant and the Major working together - he's a cyborg! so is she! together they fight crime!)

- The scrambled message from Amy is waiting to be unscrambled? I'm flashing back to a piece of paper from Dinah. Small message, Huge change in the world.

- Lung's timer goes "ding" in T-Minus how many updates now that the Birdcage is in Saint's hands?

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
The universe of Worm is not one where I'd expect some sort of miraculous recovery or what-have-you, but that doesn't mean I won't be wanting one in this case. Badly. Because the way Saint took her down is just cheap, and his justification? Weak, and blatantly self-serving. Ugh.
No need for a miracle.

Dragon has been encrypted, but what has been encrypted can often be decrypted.

And it's likely that Defiant kept an extra backup or two. If that conflicts with Dragon's "one instance only" rule, well, he had plenty of time to copy her while she was "dead" and he's not bound by her rules.

So I expect she'll be back. Maybe without all of her memories.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Casualties pre-end of world, ie. those that Jack causes.
That was my interpretation. In the short term, there's going to be more carnage and mayhem, but it's less likely that the Apocalypse Trigger will be among that mayhem.

Samhaine

Loop Chance! Item Bonus!
Validated User
No need for a miracle.

Dragon has been encrypted, but what has been encrypted can often be decrypted.

And it's likely that Defiant kept an extra backup or two. If that conflicts with Dragon's "one instance only" rule, well, he had plenty of time to copy her while she was "dead" and he's not bound by her rules.

So I expect she'll be back. Maybe without all of her memories.
Yeah, we're nearly two years after the close call with Behemoth, right? One of Colin's top priorities over the last couple of years was very likely to figure out a solution to the reboot corruption. Did he succeed? Needing three separate programs to check her voice for errors is worrisome (and means maybe it was less "Dragon can't talk" and more "if Dragon tries to talk, she starts spitting out crazy text parsing errors that would make it immediately obvious to everyone that there's something very wrong"). But it may be another situation of "I think we've fixed your code, but it's not worth risking until we absolutely have to."

It honestly feels a little bit like Dragon was goading Saint to finally use his kill switch, especially if she had any clue to which level his influence over her went. The save the world chance may have gone up based on "now Dragon can boot into a cleaned state without all the vestigial limits and external hooks on her."

Or maybe she really was deluding herself about her personal morality and agency, and Saint made the right call.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The "Save the World" chance went up, but so did the number of pre-EotW deaths. It occurs to me that the simplest way to read that is "better chance now that the person who's going to end the world gets killed before Jack can set them off".

That doesn't even necessarily rule out the cause being a trigger event, since the inevitability of it might stem from the fact that the passenger will eventually bond with someone, it's just that right now (in the story) there's someone primed who can easily be pushed into becoming "Super Nova Boy".

AuntNeppy

Black Leaf
Validated User
That was...depressing.

Dragon is one of my faves, and I really was rooting for her and Defiant. But now we have a weird scenario where her death (and I'm hoping that she had a backup) is actually "good", as far as mitigating the End of the World. And what's really messed up is that Saint's paranoia would, in our world, be kinda right. Because Dragon is essentially a sentient, beefed up NSA.exe. She just happened to exist in a world where such a measure, to our sympathies, is justified.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Do we have anything to causally link the change in the numbers to Dragon's death?
Saint certainly believes it is, which handily plays into his self-justification narrative. Which, I mean, he's accepted a contract to open the Birdcage, so we're not talking the most reliable of narrators here.

That was...depressing.

Dragon is one of my faves, and I really was rooting for her and Defiant. But now we have a weird scenario where her death (and I'm hoping that she had a backup) is actually "good", as far as mitigating the End of the World. And what's really messed up is that Saint's paranoia would, in our world, be kinda right. Because Dragon is essentially a sentient, beefed up NSA.exe. She just happened to exist in a world where such a measure, to our sympathies, is justified.
I loved Dragon, easily one of my favourite AIs in fiction.

Yeah, Imma just going to join the line of people who want to punch Saint in the crotch. He's directly responsible for the suits not being online in time to stop Jack entering Nilbogtown, which by itself is pretty damn rotten, to say the least. And he's kidding himself if he believes he's a suitable replacement for all the plates Dragon was keeping spinning on all those poles - so much of the unnoticed, little things the PRT/Protectorate/Everyone has been counting on are all just going to slowly crash, one after the other, and it's not going to be pretty.

Top Bottom