• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Aleph: Everything Old Is Rotted Through Again...

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Saint certainly believes it is, which handily plays into his self-justification narrative. Which, I mean, he's accepted a contract to open the Birdcage, so we're not talking the most reliable of narrators here.

I loved Dragon, easily one of my favourite AIs in fiction.

Yeah, Imma just going to join the line of people who want to punch Saint in the crotch. He's directly responsible for the suits not being online in time to stop Jack entering Nilbogtown, which by itself is pretty damn rotten, to say the least. And he's kidding himself if he believes he's a suitable replacement for all the plates Dragon was keeping spinning on all those poles - so much of the unnoticed, little things the PRT/Protectorate/Everyone has been counting on are all just going to slowly crash, one after the other, and it's not going to be pretty.
The one good thing to come out of dragon's "death" is that Colin should now be aware of just how backdoory Saint and Co are with Dragons tech/programming. Hoefully he can' use his tinkering to cut them off at the knees.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
One subtle bit I like is how little respect Saint (and everyone else) seems to have for Defiant. Sure he's a Tinker in his own right, but when he tools around with "the most powerful Tinker in the world" he looks to everyone else like Dragon's sidekick at best, her boytoy at worst. The reason the Protectorate let Defiant off the hook for all the things that Armsmaster did is that they were indulging Dragon, not because they were so desperate for his services. I get the strong impression that most people viewed their relationship as "proof Dragon is human after all" (what irony!) and that even she can go a little soft in the head for a man.

And Colin seems perfectly fine with this. This is a character who, you'll recall, started out obsessed with his own reputation and glory. Who deliberately got people killed and broke an important truce because they weren't going to let him be in charge anymore. I really do think he's had the best character arc in the story short of Taylor herself.

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
And Colin seems perfectly fine with this. This is a character who, you'll recall, started out obsessed with his own reputation and glory. Who deliberately got people killed and broke an important truce because they weren't going to let him be in charge anymore. I really do think he's had the best character arc in the story short of Taylor herself.
Yeah, holy shit, Colin went from being one of the most easily punchable characters to being one of the real "good guys". And Saint didn't even internally identify him by his hero-name, just "the cyborg", so deep is his contempt. You do not take a socially awkward dude who has awesome supertech at his disposal and call him a creepy robot fetishist just after deleting his girlfriend, that's a recipe for a Roaring Rampage of Revenge.

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Lot going on in this update, but there's only one bit I have much to say about:

She’d pushed herself too far, something had gone wrong, and now Defiant faced losing the one person on this planet who could tolerate him for more than ten minutes at a time.
Taylor's take on the Dragon situation is kind of funny. Partly because of the way she thinks of Defiant (which is a bit unfair, Miss Militia and Chevalier like the guy well enough) and partly because she's actually out of the loop for once.

I can't help but think that everyone would be better off if Dragon's real nature was a bit less secret. Cooperation is the key to success, after all, and D&D can't cooperate fully with other heroes while keeping such a big secret.

Ties into what I was saying earlier about Worm's themes.

One subtle bit I like is how little respect Saint (and everyone else) seems to have for Defiant. Sure he's a Tinker in his own right, but when he tools around with "the most powerful Tinker in the world" he looks to everyone else like Dragon's sidekick at best, her boytoy at worst. The reason the Protectorate let Defiant off the hook for all the things that Armsmaster did is that they were indulging Dragon, not because they were so desperate for his services. I get the strong impression that most people viewed their relationship as "proof Dragon is human after all" (what irony!) and that even she can go a little soft in the head for a man.

I agree completely.

Thing is, Defiant might actually be better than Dragon in a straight-up fight. I bet a few villains have been really unpleasantly surprised to discover that.

Last edited:

Reveen

Validated User
Okay, Nilbog was a bit less fuckingawesome than I thought, but fitting for his place in the story. Jeez, I hope the goblins don't end up exterminated. I think we've had enough killing things for being non-human and possibly hypothetically dangerous for a while.

That dining scene was particularly badass though.

(which is a bit unfair, Miss Militia and Chevalier like the guy well enough)
I dunno, appreciating someone as a friend and a comrade isn't always the same thing as liking them as a companion. I could see pre-Defiant Colin being that guy you like as a person in theory but don't actually want to hang out with, y'know?1

Though I've got the suspicion that Defiant and Weaver are gonna have a heart to heart in Dragon's absence, with alot of blubbering from the former.

1. This is pretty much exactly what Batman is, IMO.

Last edited:

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
I'll just lead another chorus of FUCK YOU, SAINT! FUUUUCK YOOOOOU!

Honestly.

Nilbog strikes me as another situation that could've been handled better. Maybe air drop in some food, give him an HBO subscription, I reckon he'd be much less likely to go along with Jack if he was waiting to find out what's going to happen on Game of Thrones.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
He now has a decent reason to go along with Jack, since Weaver tried to kill him. Assuming he doesn't choke out in the next 60 seconds or so, which is a possibility.

LordPanther14

Validated User
Considering what Bonesaw has accomplished with the dead and dying I really don't think this should make anyone feel better about what Weaver did to Nilbolg

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
I've statted up a few more Worm characters in DFRPG.

Link here.
Nice, I might try to do the same with Wild Talents at some point, seems like it would be the easiest system for the job considering how odd many Wormverse powers are, WT does odd powers really well, as anyone who's read Progenitor can attest. :D

Top Bottom