• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Aleph: Everything Old Is Rotted Through Again...

DMGnome

Retired User
I was actually glad to see the 8-Siberian attack. Because it put eight Mantons in a place where one teleported grenade or one invincible-wall-ignoring attack could kill them all.

And then I was proven right. Feels good.

If Siberian is the second-scariest Niner, who's the first? Jack? Bonesaw? Gray Boy?

Some nice shooting from Vista in the fight against Hatchet Face and Murder Rat.

Interesting to see a Mannequin with another person sharing the suit. I wouldn't have thought for that.

I'm surprised that the Triumvirate wasn't included in the list of big guns. They're less evil and less dangerous if affected by Jack than Contessa.

I hope Romp is Mockshow.
I think she's referring to Gray Boy as the scariest member.

Bonesaw lists the hybrids as "Snowmann, Nighty Night, Laughjob, Tyrant, Spawner," one of each. Snowmann is Winter+Mannequin with Glace's defenses, Tyrant was Hatchet Face and King. My guesses are that Laughjob is Chuckles+Hatchet Face+Oni Lee, Spawner is Crawler+Breed, and Nighty Night is Night Hag+Nyx.

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Speaking of hybrids...if Bonesaw turns good or at least non-Slaughterhouse, we could see some very interesting hybrids near the end of the story.

If I were Cauldron, I'd be super keen to create Eidolontessa. Your two superweapons combined...and I bet there are a lot more paths to victory when you can use every conceivable superpower.

Or maybe Doormaker-Siberian would be better. Doormaker's blindness and deafness could be solved by using the projection's eyes/ears, and Doormaker's doors would let him stay safe while sending the projection to whatever universe he chooses.

Taylor/Panacea would be a great combo too. Panacea's power on someone smart enough to actually use it. Plus there's massive synergy with relay bugs.

Crawler/Lung would make a good monster, but I'm not sure anyone would want such a being to exist. Neither component plays well with others.

My personal favourite would be Legend/Tattletale, though. Legend's powers would keep Tattletale safe when she provoked people, and Tattletale's powers would keep Legend from getting manipulated. Plus, when you combine Legend's inspirational leadership and nice guy-ness with Tattletale's person-reading and manipulativeness you get incredible social skills. Basically, they'd cover for the flaws in each other's personalities very well.

Nice, I might try to do the same with Wild Talents at some point, seems like it would be the easiest system for the job considering how odd many Wormverse powers are, WT does odd powers really well, as anyone who's read Progenitor can attest. :D
Tell me more.

I know nothing about Wild Talents, and I am intrigued.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Speaking of hybrids...if Bonesaw turns good or at least non-Slaughterhouse, we could see some very interesting hybrids near the end of the story.

If I were Cauldron, I'd be super keen to create Eidolontessa. Your two superweapons combined...and I bet there are a lot more paths to victory when you can use every conceivable superpower.
Doctor Mother/Jack/Coil clone. The sheer gravity of their immorality forms an event horizon from which no good can escape!

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
Tell me more.

I know nothing about Wild Talents, and I am intrigued.
In the Progenitor setting for the game there is a man whose power took the form of the Devil, an independent entity that can grant wishes to those looking for a deal, and "haunts" the hapless musician who spawned him. There's a crook who can turn huge amounts of one material into any other. One guy's whole power appeared to be "create techno-monster eggs that will hatch at a pre-determined time and use all local available metal to grow into murderous monsters." Another, very low-powered in the grand scheme of things, is a kid who can turn into a giant flaming octupus and decided to be a superhero.

The arguably smartest man in the world is a hippy who has two tricks; he can just plain be ridiculously smart on a scale only two other people can maybe match, or he can devote a big chunk of that brain power to grinding away on a problem in the background. This second ability is called "limited omniscience" because it applies his hyper-intelligence with an ability to examine basically everything on the planet (all the way out to just past the moon, I think), and eventually he sits down and his hand will scribble out the answer on a notepad. He was smart enough to, at one point, ask himself what the best questions to ask in the next few years might be.

Another character can, with a touch, give you the complete life experience of an alternate you.

There is still another who, entirely outside her control, sometimes turns people around her into stunning romance-cover Adonis' (and this isn't "them but better looking", it's a physical transformation from looking like they did to looking like "a stud"). This can happen to anyone around her, even women, and due to the way it works it can never be altered (not even by the most powerful healer in the setting, the one who basically can turn back the clock on entropy in limited ways).

Oh, and the little girl who can touch you and make any illnesses you have manifest (like, they come out of you as you are healed) as independent little malformed and intelligent beings that are often mildly super strong/fast/tough/whatever.

Last edited:

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
And that's not to mention the woman who's become a living telepathic virus that's become the new AIDS of the world, the physicist who can create forcefields that selectively filter out certain kinds of matter or the guy who can absorb people and use their biomass to turn into a gigantic stone colossus covered in Korean architectural art. Progenitor has some seriously nuts powers.

Wild Talents looks more complicated than it actually is, once you've got the basic system down it's just a matter of doing a bit of addition and subtraction to calculate how much per die rolled a power costs. You start by breaking down what the power can do; can it Attack, Defend or do something Useful? For each one of those things it has it gains a quality that increases its cost per die, then you start adding bonus and penalty traits to modify it further. So here's how post-Second Trigger Grue's powers would look (I think, I'm doing this a bit on the fly);

It Is Very Dark (10)
Qualities: D, U
Defends (impenetrable radiation-supressing blackness) Extras and Flaws: Radius +2, No Upward Limit +2, Horrifying -1
Capacities: Self
Useful (sense-depriving cloud) Extras and Flaws: Radius +2, No Upward Limit +2, Horrifying -1
Effect: You create a cloud of inky blackness that interferes with the attacks and senses of those around you centered on yourself, defaulting to 10 meters/yards radius but you can spend Willpower to increase. Buy it in Hard Dice (x2 cost) to simulate the total, axiomatic sensory blackout of Grue's power.

You Were Eaten By A Grue (9)
Qualities: A D U.
Attacks Extras and Flaws: Duration +2, If/Then
(subject must be within radius of It Is Very Dark) –1, If/Then (Variable Effect
must match subject’s powers) –1, If/Then (only for
Variable Effect) –1, Attached (It Is Very Dark) -2, Variable Effect +4. Capacities:
N/A.
Defends Extras and Flaws: Duration +2, If/Then
Variable Effect) –1, Attached (It Is Very Dark) -2, Variable Effect +4. Capacities:
N/A.
Useful Extras and Flaws: Duration +2, If/Then
N/A.
Effect: When another character is within the radius of the darkness-field created by It Is Very Dark, with a successful roll you can temporarily copy their powers. Use the Variable Effect Extra to “transfer” each die of a You Were Eaten By A Grue quality to a separate power for the duration, and spend Willpower to gain new Extras and Power Quality Levels, such as increased damage or protection. You must mimic the copied powers, however. You can’t take Extras or powers that the subject doesn’t have, and you must take all Flaws on the copied powers. If you have fewer You Were Eaten By A Grue dice than the subject has dice in powers, you can “copy” power dice up to your You Were Eaten By A Grue limit.

The first one's a pretty basic D, U power with a few modifications. The Horrifying Flaw means that Grue takes a slight penalty to Charm rolls against anyone who's seen him in action, which is fitting given how irrationally fearful of supervillains Wormverse folk are and the Undersiders "guys with phobia powers" status.

Second one is just Power Mimic from the Miracle Cafeteria in the corebook with a few modifications to link it to It Is Very Dark. Turns out to be quite an efficient combo.

Last edited:

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
Two pregen characters I made for a higher power Progenitor game were someone who could open an indefinite portal to a world of their design (it'd be roughly three times bigger than the moon, have physics appropriate to the design, and slowly fill in with appropriate life/structures/etc.) and someone who lived by videogame rules (they looked vaguely CGI with the resolution degrading as they were injured, ignored physics when pulling off physical stunts, could be healed by the mere application of food/drink/bandages, were incredibly physically adept, could summon a copy of any handheld item they'd touched/put in their "inventory", and even spend permanent Willpower to "Save" their current state such that whenever they might die they'd instead revert to that state).

Ok, I'll stop gushing now.

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
One of the Kerberos Club pregens actually has a power that could nicely simulate Taylor's anthropokinesis, she uses fairies rather than bugs but a bit of tweaking and a thematic overlay and it'd basically be the same deal. How's this for a Wormverse parahuman archetype;

Parahuman (15)
Source:
Unknown (-5)
Permission: Super (15)
Intrinsic: Trigger Events*

Additions: Common modifications to the Archetype include Super-Equipment and Power Focus Meta-Qualities. Certain parahumans, called Case 53's, exhibit abnormal physiologies and may demonstrate any of the Allergy, Brute/Frail, Custom Stats, Globular, Inhuman, Unhealing and Vulnerable Meta-Qualities.

*New Intrinsic: Trigger Events (5)
A character with this Intrinsic may purchase entirely new powers during play but only during a traumatic or otherwise strongly emotional event linked to one of their Passions, at the GM's discretion.

Last edited:

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Lot of interesting stuff in this update.

-Gray Boy traps people in loops. So he can inflict an eternity of suffering or undo an attack on him. Seems easy enough to counter - just splatter him in one hit - so maybe there's more to it. Then again, he's been killed before, so maybe not.

-Jack's showing some real overconfidence here. He even said "eh, I can take you". And he thinks Gray Boy can affect Scion, which sounds like a dubious assumption to me.

-The Siberian touches Manton as Jack leaves. The way it's written makes it seem like it's using it's power on its creator, but...probably not.

-Shooting Aster is probably the worst thing Taylor's done. Might be kinder than leaving her in the Nine's hands, but killing a child in order to save it is a pretty dubious proposition.

-I'm a bit bothered by the heroes' lack of hesitation about killing baby Nine clones. They're still babies, they might grow up to be decent people if their passengers don't mess them up too badly and Bonesaw doesn't get at them with a memory-implanter.

EDIT: Also, Jack thinks Taylor's trigger event was her mother's death. Guy's not as smart as he thinks he is. Especially since, IIRC, the bullying trigger was public knowledge.

Last edited:

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
EDIT: Also, Jack thinks Taylor's trigger event was her mother's death. Guy's not as smart as he thinks he is. Especially since, IIRC, the bullying trigger was public knowledge.
Possibly smarter than you think, folk have been discussing that Tay might have been through two trigger events already and not realised because the first time was her Thinker power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom