• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Aleph: Everything Old Is Rotted Through Again...

UglyJimStudly

Unforgiven
Validated User
So now all that's left is to see what Panacea's done to Taylor. This should be good.
Well, not all. There's Simurgh's plan(s) presumably coming to a fruition, maybe an Endbringer teamup against Scion, a possible return of the third entity, and hopefully a few other plot threads to wrap up involving various Undersiders and other important characters. Though the latter may be dealt with in epilogue interludes instead of the main story.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, not all. There's Simurgh's plan(s) presumably coming to a fruition, maybe an Endbringer teamup against Scion, a possible return of the third entity, and hopefully a few other plot threads to wrap up involving various Undersiders and other important characters. Though the latter may be dealt with in epilogue interludes instead of the main story.
I'm betting against a return of the 3rd entity. In this chapter Eden sees it as moving away on a perpendicular course to the one she and Scion are on. That should put it no where near the Earth.

Also, the scale of the entities is interesting. From Eden's part of the Interlude we get this line:
"Shards must be discarded, or it will dwarf the destination planet."

So, when they're "full up" the entities are bigger than the planet. What size are the shards that they cast off then? Given that there aren't billions or trillions of parahumans, I'm thinking each shard has to be enormous as well, which means the parahumans have much deeper wells to draw on than they're necessarily aware of.

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
I just started my own web serial, The League of Prey
I'll be sure to check it out.

And what happened to this version of Taylor? Not that it's anywhere near as important as the origins of Cauldron, just wondering. Probably grounds for a fanfic or three.
She probably wouldn't have powers. Zion was aiming for her dad with that shard, if I interpret this passage correctly:

Interlude 26 said:
When it knows the configuration is absolutely decided, it reaches for the last fragment it will cast off. This one, too, it cripples, even largely destroys, so as to limit the host from using it in the same fashion.

In a haste to decide matters before it enters the stratosphere of that barren planet, the entity casts it off to a similar location as the future-sight ability. A similar time, thirty-one revolutions from now. The destination is a male, thin, in the company of strong males and females, drinking.
Taylor probably got the shard because she had a crappier and more conflict-full life.

Also, the scale of the entities is interesting. From Eden's part of the Interlude we get this line:
"Shards must be discarded, or it will dwarf the destination planet."

So, when they're "full up" the entities are bigger than the planet. What size are the shards that they cast off then? Given that there aren't billions or trillions of parahumans, I'm thinking each shard has to be enormous as well, which means the parahumans have much deeper wells to draw on than they're necessarily aware of.
The shards probably are enormous, but I think the entities probably could create billions of parahumans if they handed out every shard they had at once.

And I'm not sure that parahumans actually do have such deep wells to draw upon. Even if Imp's shard is the size of Ontario, it might not be able to create and transmit much more of the energy that powers her power than it already does. Who knows what the energy efficiencies of shards are like?

Plus it's likely that the total power use of each parahuman is capped in order to prevent them from destroying Earth/killing the entities.

PS: Found a typo in Interlude 26. There should be a period after
Countless perished, no doubt, in contact with lifeless moons, expending the last of their energy to search the possible iterations of that moon for life. More die within moments of the detonation, their outer casing too damaged, vital processes separated from one another

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
Considering what Bonesaw and Echidna managed, methinks shards, especially living ones, have a *lot* more juice to burn than any ten parahumans can spend.

Noliar

Validated User
Are Zion shards drawing from the Zion well? I don't think they are but it would be funny if they could just run him out of mass.
"Golem, new plan. Give him the finger. 10 miles wide!"

St.Just

Lacking all conviction
Validated User
Well, that didn't go particularly well. So I'm thinking even odds on heroic sacrifice, some sort of fate worse then death, or the rest of the undersiders biting it because Irony.

flame7926

Retired User
Well, that didn't go particularly well. So I'm thinking even odds on heroic sacrifice, some sort of fate worse then death, or the rest of the undersiders biting it because Irony.

I'd say heroic sacrifice almost for sure. With what has happened, this can't end well for Taylor. Fuck I really wanted more Grue Taylor moments.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well.

That's certainly not good.

Top Bottom