• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Bet-the Alternate Thread:The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy Still Sucks Though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

It seems like part of what was happening was a play staged for Taylor's benefit (including, I strongly suspect, the bodybag). I just have no clue as to why that seemed like the most effective way to do whatever they're trying to do. I hope the story doesn't default to the 'prophecy' explanation, as in a precog told them to do it even if it makes no sense.

As for dead Alexandria and/or Undersiders, all I can say is that this is the superhero genre. No visible corpse, no confirmed kill. Tagg is the only one I'm willing to say is definitely dead.

Jim Lee

Banned
If Alexandria really got herself killed by goading Taylor into attacking her, then I have no sympathy. That's so Darwinian that Kaiser must be applauding in hell.

I suspect that the simplest explanation, at this point, is that Alexandria was aiming to provoke Taylor into lashing out, and maybe even doing some real damage, so that they could destroy the idea of her having come in peacefully to negotiate, and have a go at getting rid of any popular support she has. Whoops. Doesn't explain why they evacuated the PRT HQ, though. If the Wrath of Rachel wasn't inbound, then what else is there...

But, yeah. I won't really believe that Alexandria is dead until we see both her body, and a living Rebecca Costa-Brown from Aleph, sans superpowers.

Last edited:

Jim Lee

Banned
I do like how this update took yet another opportunity to remind us that Taylor will stop fighting ten to fifteen minutes after her heart stops beating.

"Look, you have been out of your cell for less than two minutes, and in that time you've tried to kill myself or Dragon, or both of us, three times. Stop. We are trying to help. Put down the grenade launcher. Put down the EMP grenades. Stop trying to launch me off the roof. Can we talk about this?"

Noliar

Validated User
I suspect that the simplest explanation, at this point, is that Alexandria was aiming to provoke Taylor into lashing out, and maybe even doing some real damage, so that they could destroy the idea of her having come in peacefully to negotiate, and have a go at getting rid of any popular support she has. Whoops. Doesn't explain why they evacuated the PRT HQ, though. If the Wrath of Rachel wasn't inbound, then what else is there...
There is a Skitter who has just run out of mercy. She's drugged right now but when she comes out of the stupor will it be rage first and distinguishing friend from foe later? That's plenty of reason to evacuate not just HQ but 6 blocks around it.

Which is really obvious. So, even if the attacks on the Undersiders never happened the evacuation is a strong signal that things have gone to shit which would draw an intervention of the giant dog variety. However, among those evacuated would be Calle and Danny. Now I don't buy that there was a prior arrangement between MMDD and the Undersiders that Taylor didn't know about but if those two acted as envoys to let them know what's going on maybe they'd hold off. It would take a lot of trust.

If the attacks were real it would take an impractical amount of trust. Unless there was a hostage. No way MM would let a Ward do it but I can see Triumph volunteering perhaps.

But, yeah. I won't really believe that Alexandria is dead until we see both her body, and a living Rebecca Costa-Brown from Aleph, sans superpowers.
Skitter will be asking for evidence within the first three paragraphs I bet.

Jim Lee

Banned
See, by this stage, I really don't think it's too much to ask for the Powers That Be to stop fucking around.

Tell Taylor what you want. Make your argument. You just had a stirring demonstration of what happens when you try to keep Taylor in the dark. She drags you into the dark with her and eats your fucking kidneys. You want to hammer out compromise? Fine. Stop trying to use her as your anvil.

Paradim

Validated User
See, by this stage, I really don't think it's too much to ask for the Powers That Be to stop fucking around.

Tell Taylor what you want. Make your argument. You just had a stirring demonstration of what happens when you try to keep Taylor in the dark. She drags you into the dark with her and eats your fucking kidneys. You want to hammer out compromise? Fine. Stop trying to use her as your anvil.
I think the only "hero" that hasn't really underestimated Skitter is Dragon. But in each of their encounters, she's been hobbled by the PRT and having to obey orders she is really dubious of following.

With her there and the PRT in disarray, I think Skitter will finally be told straight up whats going on. At least, I hope so.

It feels like the PRT and Superheroes are too busy playing games while Skitter is not having any of that.

Alathon

4d6+27

I still think she was more bar stock than anvil, so many things that make no sense on the surface but fit into the script of her trigger event. I suppose it could be literary device, but I'm more inclined to take it at face value as a botched ploy, or a ploy co-opted by Alexandria to kill herself. She had more than enough reasons to be suicidal, and getting herself killed by another cape rather than killing herself could have been a way to pass on some of the only thing of value she had left, and which she was about to lose completely: her reputation.

But now I'm more hoping she's not dead, just brain dead, and it really was just a big fuckup... so Skitter has to go on an epic quest to the Birdcage to get Panacea to fix it! And hopefully bring her dad out with her, the more of his dialog the better!

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Plus, it gave Colin an excellent line. "Stop trying things" is something I'll have to say in conversation some time.
When I read that line, I imagined him stuttering and grunting a little before spitting out "things," as he is some kind of genius and probably imagined that he'd be able to finish that sentence on more of a strong note.

My reading of the interview was ALSO that Alexandria was trying to goad Skitter into a second trigger event, although why she would try to do that is fucking beyond me. I feel incredibly bad for Taylor's dad. I do believe that he will eventually man up and make a play to help her, although he'll do it on the PR/legal/civic influence side of things. There's a reporter out there who owes her favors still, I think?

I have something I hope you guys can help me with: I do not fucking get what happened with Panacea. At all. I feel like I missed a chapter or two of her story, or at least a few vital paragraphs. Can someone spell it out for me?

Wildbow

Retired User
Guts & Glory Story Arc as it stands

Panacea - born Amelia, Marquis' daughter, he only took custody of her after her mother died of cancer.

Around the age of five or six, the Brockton Bay Brigade (later to become New Wave) attacked Marquis in his home. He protected Amelia with his body, taking a critical blow, and was later brought into custody.

Amelia was taken in by Brandish and Flashbang, because they were afraid she'd be abused/kidnapped by others who'd blame her for Marquis' actions or use the chance that she was that much more likely to trigger to get a child with powers.

A short time later, the Brockton Bay Brigade unmasked before the public, advocating capes without masks.

A short time after that, Fleur was murdered in her civilian identity, putting an end to that movement. Lightstar (brother to Carol/Brandish and Sarah/Lady Photon) quit the team.

Amelia's (Now Amy's) childhood was somewhat lonely - Carol/Brandish didn't quite want her, Flashbang was battling clinical depression. Amy grew close to her adoptive sister, Victoria, who was the same age as her.

On being informed that she was the daughter of a notorious villain, she withdrew into herself some. She became worried that she'd follow in his foosteps (quite possibly helped by Carol/Brandish's attitude).

Victoria triggered (easily) in gym class, started to go out in costume, more and more as years went on, as Glory Girl.

Amy triggered a little later on. It was more devastating than joyous, because it was one step closer to her following her father's path. There was a great deal of pressure as well (outlined in the latter half of interlude 3), with her inability to heal everyone.

Carol's attitude, one can guess, became even more distant.

Amy realized she had feelings for Victoria. She bottled them up. Readers have speculated that Glory Girl's 'awe' aura might have had long term effects on the emotionally vulnerable Amy, helping this along (or making it happen).

Bank Robbery (late chapters in arc 3) - Tattletale threatens to out Amy and/or tell her her father's identity. Amy freaks.

Post-Bank Robbery - Amy has a conversation with Gallant, she confesses the strain of having a healing power, he notes how close she is to breaking, and that she has 'strong' feelings towards him. Implied to be love, but it's (as later stated) jealousy and resentment; he's the guy who's dating the girl she loves.

Endbringer attack - Gallant dies. Flashbang (Victoria and Amy's father) receives a head injury. Amy's desperately afraid of using her powers on people's brains because she knows how easily she could cross a line, and doesn't heal dad. Grows more distant from the rest of her family. Victoria is upset that Amy won't provide emotional support after Gallant (Victoria's boyfriend) dies. Amy's struggling with her mixed feelings over his death. Gap widens.

Things come to a head when the S9 arrive. Amy finds out who her dad is, and Bonesaw forces Amy to either heal her adoptive father's brain or let him die, and Amy heals him. Convinced there's no way she can stay, she flees, striking out on her own. Victoria intercepts her, and a shaken Amy unconsciously/unwittingly uses this previously unexplored aspect of her power on her sister, altering Victoria's feelings for her. Victoria runs.

S9 continue rampage, and Amy gets swept up into it when Mannequin and Siberian attack her. She temporarily teams up with Undersiders to give a helping hand and to help her sister. Victoria gets injured by Crawler, Skitter rescues her, Amy stalls the damage and puts Victoria in a cocoon of fleshy bits, to restore the previous damage. Flees.

Jack and Bonesaw catch up with Amy, and Jack engages in head games with the already unbalanced, unstable girl. Skitter intervenes before giving chase to Jack/Bonesaw. Amy/Victoria flee.

S9 arc resolves. In the wake of it, Carol/Brandish is left wondering where her daughters are. They finally get a lead (thanks to Tattletale, in exchange for New Wave leaving Undersiders alone) and find a distraught Amy. The girl used her power on Glory Girl, and at the end of her rope, suffering a mental breakdown at at least one point, she used her power on Victoria, and forgot how to put the girl back together. Using her power only forces her to face the scale of the changes she's already made, and in panic/desperation she does more damage than she fixes.

Victoria goes to Asylum. Amy asks to go to the Birdcage, and authorities weigh the risk of her having another breakdown (and creating a plague that eats plastic/glass/stone/whatever/doing a lot of damage to a lot of people) against the risks of incarceration, put her in Birdcage. Amy reunites with her father.

In Marquis' arc, we see Amy trying to come to terms with what she did. Marquis is trying to ensure she (and he) don't face rebellion from within his cell block due to the issues her presence poses, and organizes a meeting with the other cell block leaders. He manipulates and charms his way through the worst of it. The meeting of Amy and Glaistig Uaine (a cell block leader with the ability to retain the 'spirits' of recently dead parahumans, along with their powers) clues Amy into something. She thinks she's figured out a crucial piece of the overall puzzle, and outlines it all to the surveillance systems that Dragon has in the prison, in the hopes that Dragon will pick up on it and act on the information. The Simurgh alters course and blocks/muddles the signal, and Dragon doesn't receive it.

Amy gets a tattoo so she has a reminder of Victoria and the crime Amy committed against her, without having to dwell so heavily on it.

Last edited:

LordPanther14

Validated User
My personal feelings are that they weren't trying to get Skitter to have a second trigger. She's already dangerous enough, instead they were trying to put pressure on her so that she would stop meddling with their own plans and do what they wanted. Considering just how tough she really is, they probably felt that the only chance they had to break her will was to try and manipulate her in the one way that had already proven itself as a way to break her will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom