• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm Bet-the Alternate Thread:The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy Still Sucks Though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noliar

Validated User
Skitter hadn't killed back then. Only Bonesaw was picking for potential, and she could make hellish use of a Panacea splice minion if Amy failed the tests.

Alathon

4d6+27
The rest is an interesting idea...
..but remember NM's interlude?
The guy that built part of himself from a grey thing?
I think that really reinforces that theory....
Huh, yeah, it did pretty much spell it out. Leastways, either that's the truth, or Bonesaw and Cauldron have similar enough methods that they make the same mistakes. So, hmm.. with that in mind, my best guess for the concept that Taylor's power was derived from is queen.

The word queen evokes two common meanings and Taylor matches both. "Queens are the ones in charge of bugs, bees, stuff like that" and "Queens are rulers/royalty". The first is a gimme, and Taylor has almost automatically slid into command roles at every opportunity. Despite very long odds after rage-murdering Tagg and Alexandria, Taylor was still able to take command of the situation and get her plan implemented. Taylor was able to take command of the Echidna fight when she deemed it necessary. Taylor ruled her territory in a way no other villain did, and she seized power with relative ease. She did all this as a traumatized fifteen-year-old with no background or training in any of this stuff.

It isn't necessarily anything mind-controlly, it could just be a very strong inclination, or skill-support like Uber has, but her results have been kinda crazy for what she's been working from/with.

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
I don't know; the sheer amount of processing power and local omniscience the swarm adds to her cognition could be enough to explain all that.

Alathon

4d6+27
I don't know; the sheer amount of processing power and local omniscience the swarm adds to her cognition could be enough to explain all that.
It doesn't have to be an either or situation.
Yeah, it could just be her multitasking capability alone, or some combination thereof. Fun to see which theories get proved or debunked, my track record isn't so hot so far but I feel like this one's a winner :)

Speaking of theories, was there ever an explanation of how Siberian's power functioned? I couldn't find one last I looked. My best guess was that it was based on grief, more particularly, Manton's grief. That "Siberian" wasn't a projection so much as a hole in the universe that nothing could fill, immutable and unstoppable, pushing everything else aside. Which would explain why time-altering powers work on everything else but not her; the Siberian we see is actually the edge of reality being distorted and pushed around, and time is only a relevant concept within the scope of our dimension/universe/whatever. So Eidolon's fields of altered time, lightning, gravity, etc.. all work fine except where the Siberian is manifested.

I imagine Siberian swinging on Alexandria being adjudicated (such as it is..) something like this:
  • Siberian advances the edge of reality into where Alexandria's face is supposed to be.
  • Alexandria's passenger asserts physical invulnerability
  • Manton's passenger asserts that nothing exists where it currently is, and anything that doesn't want to be blanked had better be out of the way.
  • Alexandria's flesh and bone are adjusted to conform to the new borders of reality.

Jim Lee

Banned
Yeah, it could just be her multitasking capability alone, or some combination thereof. Fun to see which theories get proved or debunked, my track record isn't so hot so far but I feel like this one's a winner :)

Speaking of theories, was there ever an explanation of how Siberian's power functioned? I couldn't find one last I looked. My best guess was that it was based on grief, more particularly, Manton's grief. That "Siberian" wasn't a projection so much as a hole in the universe that nothing could fill, immutable and unstoppable, pushing everything else aside. Which would explain why time-altering powers work on everything else but not her; the Siberian we see is actually the edge of reality being distorted and pushed around, and time is only a relevant concept within the scope of our dimension/universe/whatever. So Eidolon's fields of altered time, lightning, gravity, etc.. all work fine except where the Siberian is manifested.

I imagine Siberian swinging on Alexandria being adjudicated (such as it is..) something like this:
  • Siberian advances the edge of reality into where Alexandria's face is supposed to be.
  • Alexandria's passenger asserts physical invulnerability
  • Manton's passenger asserts that nothing exists where it currently is, and anything that doesn't want to be blanked had better be out of the way.
  • Alexandria's flesh and bone are adjusted to conform to the new borders of reality.
That's the thing. Cauldron events are not, um, 'naturally selected'. The vial he stole specifically was tuned towards giving the user an ability to project force outwards. We don't know how much the mindstate of the recipient affects the, um, (stolen/hijacked/artificial/pseudo) passenger and its development, except for the fact that the Cauldron process is a shitload more likely to result in physical backlash and rebalance.

Reveen

Validated User
Yeah, that seems about right. Except that I don't think his powers have any connection to his grief since he got them from a Cauldron formula. Given how holyfuckpowerful it is, I'm guessing it was a highly refined and tested one intended to belong to a new Triumvirate level cape.

Or maybe Cauldron was working on a new line of incredibly deadly capes for whatever scary reason. Which would also have included Sundancer, Ballistic, and whatever Noelle was supposed to be. Final takeover of earth? Expansion into military industrial complex? Some Deus Ex-ish like that.

Also, I still think that Cauldron designs cape formulas with a specific powerset in mind. But they need to do more and more testing to get the power closer and closer to the end goal. With Cauldronites with less impressive powers they probably just say "good enough" at some point so they don't keep going through guinea pigs. Or maybe it's only for certain capes they lay out specifics for.

Guys like Coil and Alexandria jut have too awesome powers for it to have been random.

Last edited:

Wildbow

Retired User
On the subject of Siberian's powers, there's one detail that people haven't really caught, that surprised me.

The link is in both Alexandria's interlude and 17.6.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
On the subject of Siberian's powers, there's one detail that people haven't really caught, that surprised me.

The link is in both Alexandria's interlude and 17.6.
Okay, I'm game. From Alexandria's interlude:

Alexandria hung her head. ”How do we stop him? Manton? If he’s transformed into that…”

“The sample he took, F-one-six-one-one, it tends to give projection powers. I suspect his real body is unchanged. But I’m wondering if we shouldn’t leave him be.”
From 17.6 (origin of the Travellers)
The canisters were sitting under the couch, along with the papers. He flipped through them.

Canister A: F-1-6-1-1, ‘Deus’, 85% mixture.
Added: C-0-0-7-2, ‘Balance’, 15% mixture.
To be consumed by Client 1
From 17.7

“Okay,” Krouse said. ”Anyone want to call dibs on the others?”

“Robin,” Luke said. ”Sounds like it might mean I could fly.”

“Mars?” Jess asked. ”You care?”

Marissa shook her head.

“Then Deus for me.”

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Yeah, that seems about right. Except that I don't think his powers have any connection to his grief since he got them from a Cauldron formula. Given how holyfuckpowerful it is, I'm guessing it was a highly refined and tested one intended to belong to a new Triumvirate level cape.
I think Manton's power is partially due to him being in a trigger-worthy state before taking the drug. As evidence, I present the fact that the Triumvirate was in similarly bad shape before taking their formulas.

Of course, Genesis is pretty powerful too. So clearly it's a strong formula.

Guys like Coil and Alexandria jut have too awesome powers for it to have been random.
Alexandria actually probably was random, given when and how she got her powers. Coil, though, likely knew more or less what he would get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom