• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm: The best supervillain web serial that you aren't not reading yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
Worm begins with an ordinary girl who wanted more than anything to be a superhero. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain gets her mistaken as one. Events snowball from there. It's dark yet funny, the characters are fascinating, the worldbuilding is deep and the protagonist's use of her powers are the quintessence of Weak But Skilled. Hell, the powers in general are pretty damn original; it's a bit like Darker Than Black that way.

If you haven't been reading this, you should be. If you're already reading this, why haven't you made a thread already? :p

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
It looks interesting, but....

I cannot STAND white text on a black background. Makes my eyes ache. Stop doing that, people!

ScottL

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I dislike massive amounts of white text on black background, too.

If your browser has a "View" tab, you may be able to go into "Style" and change it to "No style" for that webpage. With my browser, that gives black text on a white background.

Wildbow

Retired User
Author here. Sorry for the eye-ache, Rolzup.

The site colors have come up before, and while it's a relative minority that takes issue with it (or at least, who mind enough to comment on it), I've been contemplating options to try and fix it.

The rationale: I find that black on white is worse for eye strain for me, personally. After seeing debate (and no solid consensus) for one vs. the other, I elected for white on black.

As far as solutions go, I have looked into css options for something like a button that you could press to toggle between the two color schemes, but haven't had any luck. The other option would be creating another blog with a near-identical name, different color scheme and just copying over all the content, but that's fiddly, it works out to a whole lot of busywork and poses some problems with comments & the like. Perhaps the most realistic & feasible option (if not perfect) is something I'm already working on - which is putting together a set of documents (including e-reader formats) that would be available to those who donate.

I hope you enjoy the story, should you decide to forge on. If you find the layout insurmountable, but are genuinely interested in reading, I could make note of your name/contact info and send you a message/email when an alternative way of reading is available.

Razorsmile - thanks for the mention and the praise. It's appreciated.

Last edited:

Eric the .5b

Hail the Milleni-odel!
Validated User
Readable is nice for making badly-set up web sites, well, readable. Pocket (previously Read It Later) works well for that, too; I've actually used it on my phone to make pages with bad mobile styling readable.

Eric the .5b

Hail the Milleni-odel!
Validated User
The rationale: I find that black on white is worse for eye strain for me, personally. After seeing debate (and no solid consensus) for one vs. the other, I elected for white on black.
The general response I've gotten to that in other contexts (color choices for coding) is that if a white background is painfully bright, one's monitor may be set too bright.

Alternately, you can ease down the contrast by not using either pure black or white, but instead dark or light grays. I use #F2F2F2 for the background of my link-dropping tumblr, with #130F30 (admittedly not a gray) as my main text color.

Definitely tagged to look at later, though - this sounds cool.

Last edited:

Wildbow

Retired User
The general response I've gotten to that in other contexts (color choices for coding) is that if a white background is painfully bright, one's monitor may be set too bright.
I thought that might be the case & fiddled with my monitor settings some time ago. Didn't work. Even after acquiring & using f.lux for a while (I still use it, but more for restfulness) and changing monitors (my old one stopped powering on), it persisted. I'm more inclined to suspect that it's just me.

Alternately, you can ease down the contrast by not using either pure black or white, but instead dark or light grays. I use #F2F2F2 for the background of my link-dropping tumblr, with #130F30 (admittedly not a gray) as my main text color.
It's an option, but I suspect I'd want to change the whole site if I did that, and that's a potentially dangerous time sink.

Definitely tagged to look at later, though - this sounds cool.
Thanks, Eric. And thanks for mentioning Readable. I wasn't aware it existed, and I like the notion.

Shay Guy

Validated User
As far as solutions go, I have looked into css options for something like a button that you could press to toggle between the two color schemes, but haven't had any luck.
Dunno if CSS3 offers anything like this, but I'd just make something in JavaScript. A button to switch stylesheets or themes seems pretty simple; it's what the CSS Zen Garden is built on, after all. Though I guess maybe you'd have to have something built into WordPress directly? :/

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
Let me say two additional things....

1) It's always nice to see someone who handles this sort of thing politely; it's all too rare on the 'net.

2) And, even with the eye strain, I kept reading, until far too late last night....

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
Let me say two additional things....

1) It's always nice to see someone who handles this sort of thing politely; it's all too rare on the 'net.

2) And, even with the eye strain, I kept reading, until far too late last night....
Welcome to the club :D I archive-binged the whole thing in one gloriously sleepless night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom