• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm: The best supervillain web serial that you aren't not reading yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Lee

Banned
Yeah, when you look at the way things stand, just how incestuous their command structure is, and how dirty they got, the PRT are breathtakingly corrupt.

Truthseeker

Validated User
I'm suddenly really curious to see where Weld in particular goes from here. Chiseled picture-perfect by-the-numbers "company man" of the PRT who has all along managed to be one of the (if not the) most decent of the heroes... and suddenly all that effort to toe the line and be a standard-bearer for the Case 53s, to serve the very organization itself, all for naught. I don't think the shock will overwhelm his fundamental decency --at least, I hope not, as he's one of a very few brightly shining lights in a very dark place-- but... where does he go?

Wolfwood2

Validated User
A couple of other things:

1. Despite a lot of people calling for a 'second trigger event' for Taylor, she has gotten a low-key power-up from this story. Her ability to hear and see through bugs has vastly improved, to the point where she can now make out intelligible conversations. Oh, it's such a waste. She and Tattletale could ditch the costumes and go on the road, Taylor to bring the information in and Tattletale to make use of it. They'd be unbeatable spies and manipulators.

2. So this is another chapter where Wildbow made sure to make special mention about how Taylor is going all-out, full lethal force on the clones. Bugs biting into veins and arteries, drilling into eyes, all of that. Horror stuff, but it's war and the clones are monsters under the control of a monster.

So... what are the chances that when Eichidna finally leaves the scene, we get a final revelation? "By the way, when I'm gone the monster inside me will stop influencing clones and driving them crazy so they'll all be regular people now. Well, some of them might be psychotic due to deformities, but most of them ought to be people you can reason with. Ciao!"

Just as a final twist of the knife, so that instead of angst over having killed one person, Taylor has angst over killing lots and lots of people.

Jim Lee

Banned
A couple of other things:

1. Despite a lot of people calling for a 'second trigger event' for Taylor, she has gotten a low-key power-up from this story. Her ability to hear and see through bugs has vastly improved, to the point where she can now make out intelligible conversations. Oh, it's such a waste. She and Tattletale could ditch the costumes and go on the road, Taylor to bring the information in and Tattletale to make use of it. They'd be unbeatable spies and manipulators.

2. So this is another chapter where Wildbow made sure to make special mention about how Taylor is going all-out, full lethal force on the clones. Bugs biting into veins and arteries, drilling into eyes, all of that. Horror stuff, but it's war and the clones are monsters under the control of a monster.

So... what are the chances that when Eichidna finally leaves the scene, we get a final revelation? "By the way, when I'm gone the monster inside me will stop influencing clones and driving them crazy so they'll all be regular people now. Well, some of them might be psychotic due to deformities, but most of them ought to be people you can reason with. Ciao!"

Just as a final twist of the knife, so that instead of angst over having killed one person, Taylor has angst over killing lots and lots of people.
See, I'm still disagreeing on that point. If you are faced with a choice of killing or maiming someone because otherwise they are going to kill you, and everyone else to boot, and then you later find out that actually they were mind controlled, that doesn't retroactively make your actions wrong.

Alathon

4d6+27
I'm suddenly really curious to see where Weld in particular goes from here. Chiseled picture-perfect by-the-numbers "company man" of the PRT who has all along managed to be one of the (if not the) most decent of the heroes... and suddenly all that effort to toe the line and be a standard-bearer for the Case 53s, to serve the very organization itself, all for naught. I don't think the shock will overwhelm his fundamental decency --at least, I hope not, as he's one of a very few brightly shining lights in a very dark place-- but... where does he go?
Somewhere other than where he was. I figure he starts a team of his own with the type 53s that were named (Gully, Hunch, Sanguine, Gentle Giant?) and moves them to Brockton Bay as a symbolic protest against whatever accord is struck at the end of the Echidna Affair ("If there's no justice for us among Heroes, we'd rather live with Villains"). Probably takes some of the best of the Wards with him, Clockblocker at the very least, if he lives. Leastways, that's what I'd do.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
See, I'm still disagreeing on that point. If you are faced with a choice of killing or maiming someone because otherwise they are going to kill you, and everyone else to boot, and then you later find out that actually they were mind controlled, that doesn't retroactively make your actions wrong.
You're missing the point so far that you've gone all the way to the other side of the needle and the other point.

It's not about right or wrong, it's about knowing that you've killed people. Being right doesn't make that go away, particularly when you're a sixteen year old girl. Taylor doesn't think she was wrong to kill Coil, but it does bother her a lot, because he was still a human being. If she finds out that these clones were potentially salvageable as people, how much is it going to torment her? Even if she was right, given the information at the time.

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Or, alternatively, they may have their first shot at actually winning the war. Meaning, having Cauldron in charge could as easily be a "lose" condition as a "win".
Yeah, I think having Cauldron's scheme blown apart might be a good thing in the long run.

Not exactly fun for the heroes, but they're not going to stop being (mostly) good people. They'll still do good things.

Clockblocker has always been mighty. He tagged an Endbringer, after all.
True!

But you have to admit, what he just did was really impressive.

I'm fairly certain all of that happened before the first appearance of the Endbringers, unless Amy is supposed to be like 14.
Behemoth showed up in 1992. Simurgh showed up around...2000? And Amy's probably around 17. How old was she when her dad got Birdcaged, again?

Eh, I'm almost certainly just being paranoid. The Simurgh does that to me.

Wildbow

Retired User
She was a toddler when her dad got birdcaged, around 4-5. Simurgh showed up in 2001, if I'm remembering right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom