• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm: The best supervillain web serial that you aren't not reading yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noliar

Validated User
Poking around I see that Smiurgh basically destroyed Switzerland. That's relatively similar in scale at least.
Smurf + attack triggered tinker + CERN = !
where ! includes Smurf learning how to build dimensional portals and Lake Geneva' draining into Lake Geneva.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
It just gives more evidence for their intelligence, they took out Newfoundland to kill Dragon's master, and to send a message by destroying an entire landmass. While the attack on Japan might have been explicitly to bring down an important economic power while swamping other countries with refugees.
Or maybe there's no evidence for their intellgience. It might just be a case of the human mind imposing patterns where none exist. Maybe the Endbringers have no strategy as all. Maybe they never tried to "send a message." (A message to who? Saying what? To what end?) Maybe they had no idea Dragon's creator existed. Maybe Japan was chosen purely at random.

Last edited:

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I find the Endbringer's attack rates to be pretty fascinating.

On the one hand it could be they only have enough juice to safely engage the Earth heroes (or potentially just Scion) once every 9 months or so (3 months between attacks, and they attack in a rotation). If so that suggests that the Earth heroes might actually be able to kill them if they could press the battle for long enough and bar the Endbringer from escaping.

On the other hand, I don't think we've heard of them being driven off before they either achieved their goal or Scion showed up, which suggests that their reserves of power aren't all that tightly limited.

It would be interesting to have the kind of hard and fast numbers that people like Colin/Defiant are able to work from. How often have they attacked, what sort of patterns can you find in that in terms of the wounds inflicted on them in their previous engagement vs how long it took them to attack again. Even which targets they've picked over the last dozen years could tell you a lot about how they're prioritizing things.

Were I to be appointed as Alexandria's replacement, I'd be looking hard for a Thinker like Tattletale since putting together those clues could easily determine how much of the world will be around after the next few attacks.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Incidentally, the cast page has been updated and appears to be current to the most recent installment.

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/cast/

Very useful in remembering who all these people are.

EDIT: Actually, the update seems to be only halfway done, complete down to about Shadow Stalker. Guess wildbow is still working on it.

Last edited:

Reveen

Validated User
You know what I just noticed? We have no idea what Taylor's eye color is, or her hair for that matter other than "dark", let alone stuff like ethnic background or what her room looks like and somesuch. I think Danny's eyes were referred to as green once.

It's a very minor detail, but I thought it was interesting how we know so much about her character without knowing all that much about the peripheral stuff. Compared to alot of other fiction where the author makes damn well sure we know that the character is a readhead with gold highlights, emerald green eyes, dimpled cheeks, freckles, and Nordic ancestry.

It's slightly bothersome that we don't get all that many detailed descriptions of costumes. I kinda cheated and lifted my image of the characters from the fanart.

Or maybe there's no evidence for their intellgience. It might just be a case of the human mind imposing patterns where none exist. Maybe the Endbringers have no strategy as all. Maybe they never tried to "send a message." (A message to who? Saying what? To what end?) Maybe they had no idea Dragon's creator existed. Maybe Japan was chosen purely at random.
Maybe, but there wouldn't be much to attract Leviathan to Newfoundland if the Endbringers are just going after stuff that looks important or targeting conflict zones. And we know the Smurf is playing a long term game, if she isn't working with Leviathan and Behemoth she could be manipulating events to give them better targets.

Wildbow

Retired User
Incidentally, the cast page has been updated and appears to be current to the most recent installment.

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/cast/

Very useful in remembering who all these people are.

EDIT: Actually, the update seems to be only halfway done, complete down to about Shadow Stalker. Guess wildbow is still working on it.
Still working on that cast page. Got some done Tuesday before deciding to get a head start on Thursday's chapter. Finished writing chapter on Wednesday. Thursday, I planned to finish it, but I was asked to babysit a kid from the nearby hospital I sometimes volunteer at, and a 'one or two hours' babysitting job ran from eleven to eight-thirty. Pretty annoying, but it was for a good cause (the mom was training for her job). I got to play burrito bison and burrito bison 2 for much of the day, but no progress on the cast page (and I've wound up slightly behind for today's chapter).

Hoping to get it done on Saturday.

Last edited:

Alathon

4d6+27
I turned to the others. The Japanese-American man was staring at me.

“You should go to the police too,” I said. “Give your side of the story, let them take photos.”

“I will,” he said, his tone curt. He turned to leave, then paused. “I asked you to be lenient.”

How can I even explain? I’ve seen the worst of the worst. I want to protect each and every one of you from it. The system won’t stop them, not all on its own.

But if I explained, they would argue, and every counter-argument would make me look weaker, damage my image and hurt people’s confidence in me. There were people who would be happy with a firm hand being used to deter criminals, there were others who wouldn’t be happy, but they’d accept it as the price that came with everything else I had to offer.

I didn’t like it, but I’d do it.

He was still staring at me, his question lingering. I asked you to be lenient.

“I was,” was all I said.
I love it when Skitter gets her Alexandria Jr on. :D:D:D:D:D

prototype00

Validated User
Newest entry is up. All I can say with regards to the end:

C'mon Emma, piss Taylor off, just once more, for old time's sake. DO IT!

We'll see how easy Shadowstalker got off.

prototype00

DMGnome

Retired User
So Clockblocker's tagged in the latest entry. Do y'all think that's just because he was at Arcadia, somewhere, or that he actually showed up? (Like, to ask if two students arguing in the hallway needed any help. And if so, how good a look he got at Chitter and Scurry.)

Wolfwood2

Validated User
You know what I just noticed? We have no idea what Taylor's eye color is, or her hair for that matter other than "dark", let alone stuff like ethnic background or what her room looks like and somesuch. I think Danny's eyes were referred to as green once.
Funny you should mention that, since the latest update did give us
“You’re next, black curls,” the secretary closest to me spoke.
in reference to Taylor. I guess she has black hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom