• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm thread Gimel: Tinker Taylor Weaver Worm

ExNihilo

The lesser of two weasels
Validated User
From Faultline to Shamrock, right after Contessa wrecks her whole crew singlehandedly in about thirty seconds:
“A thinker power. Precognition? No, that wouldn’t work with your power. Fuck!” Faultline scrambled to her feet, hurried to Labyrinth’s side. “Hey, Elle, calm down. It’s okay, it’s over. Stop screaming.”
That would seem to rule out combat precognition, unless Faultline is way off. Shamrock is constantly messing with probabilities.

EDIT: And today's update completely contradicts me. Guess I spoke too soon!

Last edited:

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
And I'm pretty sure now that I know how to defeat Contessa.

Such a simple thing... But it's a weakness she's doubtless aware of, which is why Cauldron only deploys her on their terms.

And I'm not 100% sure of it yet, so I'll keep silent for now.
It's not rocket surgery. A sufficiently wide and dense area-effect attack will either kill her, force her to leave or, if her power has that much range, keep her from showing up in the first place.

Wildbow

Retired User
It's not rocket surgery. A sufficiently wide and dense area-effect attack will either kill her, force her to leave or, if her power has that much range, keep her from showing up in the first place.
Unless she, before she headed out the door, posed herself the scenario:
Contessa: "What do I need to do to come back successful from this mission?"
(Psst. Don't walk into the sufficiently wide, sufficiently dense area-effect attack. Here's a workaround).
"Goodie."

Shay Guy

Validated User
Unless she, before she headed out the door, posed herself the scenario:
Contessa: "What do I need to do to come back successful from this mission?"
(Psst. Don't walk into the sufficiently wide, sufficiently dense area-effect attack. Here's a workaround).
"Goodie."
That's what I was thinking. If there's really no way to win in some scenario, she wouldn't get into that scenario in the first place. She's probably assigned standing "instructions" to her power that ensure she won't get killed or discredited or whatever. If there's even a single sequence of individual muscle movements that will lead to her getting her way, she can probably carry it out.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Guys, jurisdiction is purely about force. You know who has jurisdiction over a place? Whoever has a monopoly on the use of force. It's going to get claimed by whoever can get the most guns* on the ground, and that's the end of it.

*In this universe, "Guns" is a term that should be interpreted very, very widely.

Noliar

Validated User
The only access to Gimel is on US soil (unless Cauldron takes an interest, but they can find their own empty Earths) so no other entity that the US regards as legitimately sovereign and capable of making claims of jurisdiction can go there except on the US's terms which are likely to include waiving the right to claim territory. The US and its constituents are also the only entities in a position to provide law and governance through the portal. Finally, the US is practiced at having a wild frontier and pushing it back - there will still be statutes on the books for federal agencies acting in territories, dependencies and unclaimed wilderness.

The big barrier to the PRT operating in a meaningful way in Gimel is resources and funding. Congress won't pay for it and they are needed on Bet. There might be state level claims and Brocton Bay may try and incorporate the settlement immediately across the portal but they'll be limited in what they can hold. The most likely model for enforcing justice is subcontracting. Bitch will be a prime candidate for deputy marshal, actual pardon optional.

Bahamut

Validated User
The best (only?) way to deal with Contessa would be to learn about her motivations. What does she really want, what her priorities are. Is there a scenario she would try to win for herself (ideally benefiting our heroes) to the detriment of Cauldron? Is there anything she would die to achieve?

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
Seems to me Contessa gave away a huge weakness in revealing that her power just flat out doesn't work on some capes. Get a decent analytical Thinker, Accord-level, and get them to predict what kind of capes are her bane based on previous appearances and patterns and you've got it covered. Now would be a perfect time to start collating info as you have an additional datum point - which capes do they send the Number Man after, now that he's back on field-duty, instead of the Contessa? I'm betting it will be some sub-category of the Stranger class, her power can tell her how to win versus any given set of variables, sure, but what about variables that are able to hide themselves from her power?

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Seems to me Contessa gave away a huge weakness in revealing that her power just flat out doesn't work on some capes. Get a decent analytical Thinker, Accord-level, and get them to predict what kind of capes are her bane based on previous appearances and patterns and you've got it covered. Now would be a perfect time to start collating info as you have an additional datum point - which capes do they send the Number Man after, now that he's back on field-duty, instead of the Contessa? I'm betting it will be some sub-category of the Stranger class, her power can tell her how to win versus any given set of variables, sure, but what about variables that are able to hide themselves from her power?
Or she actually meant "the Endbringers and Scion" rather than any mere human capes.

I actually feel kind of sorry for Contessa. No, no, hear me out. Her power is great from outside, but from her POV she's little more than a puppet to it most of the time. When you always know exactly what to do, you don't get to make many choices. She spends most of her life doing and saying things for reasons she doesn't comprehend, knowing only that it'll somehow result in what she wants. Take that conversation with the Cold capes. Does Contessa even speak the language, or was she just mouthing sounds her power told her to make to get them to do what she wants? Did she understand any of that? Did she choose anything she said to Taylor, or was that her power all the way through, telling her what to say?

When was the last time Contessa decided anything for herself?

Korror

Storyteller
Validated User
And I'm pretty sure now that I know how to defeat Contessa.

Such a simple thing... But it's a weakness she's doubtless aware of, which is why Cauldron only deploys her on their terms.

And I'm not 100% sure of it yet, so I'll keep silent for now.
If this was the wormverse, posting that on the internet would probably be the second* fastest way to commit suicide.

*The first being getting in Taylor/Skitter/Weaver's way

Last edited:
Top Bottom