• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worm thread Gimel: Tinker Taylor Weaver Worm

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
And a lot more happens in Worm than in some million worders, just throwing that out there.

It might getting a little overwhelming if it was to be published in big doorstopper format, things constantly happening and happening in one whole book might burn folks out. I think that's kinda the biggest issue with getting the story published, more so than the lack of polish. Unless it's done in alot of paperbacks.
I think one book per arc might be a good system. Sure, they'll be short books, but that's okay with me as long as it doesn't drive up print costs too much.

To be fair, I didn't set the 4k word minimum for myself until I was six or so months in.

As is, it's 1,220,000 words.
Hm, okay.

Your first post was on June 11 2011, your most recent post was on June 11 2013. I'm going to do some words/time calculations now, because I don't think the math is ever going to be this easy again.

1 220 000 words is...

610 000 words per year
50 833 words per month
11 731 words per week
1 669 words per day

(figures rounded to the nearest 1)

That's roughly 1.16 words per minute, all day every day, for the past two years.

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Do people who donate get input on what the bonus chapters are about?

If so, I'd like to see an Interlude from the perspective of someone who has almost nothing to do with the main story. Like Sleeper, or the hypothetical cape-o-crat of Sudan, or an Australian government official...someone who can show us a part of the Worm-verse that we have not yet seen.

A light tone would be nice, too. I find that the weakest parts of Worm are the ones where the darkness of the setting runs wild.

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Okay.

I don't know what to say about this chapter. Too many big revelations for me to cover them all.

So I'll stick to something comparatively minor.

America is doing a surprising amount of the heavy lifting in New Delhi's defence. I know we all like to criticize the PRT, and they do deserve it, but they deserve some serious credit for doing this much to help a bunch of people on the other side of the planet. This is the kind of thing that George Bush probably wished he could do...protecting the world with American power and courage.

Arbiter, Revel, and Golem all impressed me greatly in this chapter. India is lucky to have their help.

Of course, India's not exactly helpless. Phira Se is living proof of that. But Phira Se wasn't there when America was attacked, and the Triumvirate is here now that India is being attacked. So score one for the evil empire.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
What, exactly is Revel's power?
I mean, can she use any Lantern to use her power, or does her power create a Lantern?

Wildbow

Retired User
Energy storage/absorption, projects energy mines with programmed effects.

The 'lantern' case is simply an easy way to tow around her personal battery.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It feels crass to talk about money like that/like this. I know it grates when authors beg for money, but I'm not wanting to go that way. I have an end-goal of making a career out of writing, and I'm treating it as though I already had that job, trying to produce content at a quantity and quality that one might expect from a professional author, and hoping that the stars align and my readers are kind and I wind up with that job.
Oh, man, don't even think that way, it's bullshit. I don't work for free. I'm an attorney in private practice, actually, so I had to learn the skill of straight-out telling people what something was going to cost. And it was hard, because I really dislike talking about money. And it was also necessary, because I needed to handle overhead and make a living on top of that.

And you should be the same way. You have a ton of fans, you're producing quality product. Maybe not the height of polish, but I've read worse that was published. You are absolutely entitled to stand up and say that you need some form of compensation. If you say "I need this many dollars per month in donations to do this much bonus work," people can either pay it or not. And it's justified for you to do that.

Wildbow

Retired User
So ... she's a Tinker?
Only insofar as she had someone build a case for her.

Which is not at all.

The 'battery' is like Sundancer's sun, but it doesn't burn. It simply eats energy (kind of like Purity does, if somewhat more directly). I get where 'programmable' is misleading though. The intent was to say that the mines are smart, and the effects/targets can be adjusted.

Oh, man, don't even think that way, it's bullshit. I don't work for free. I'm an attorney in private practice, actually, so I had to learn the skill of straight-out telling people what something was going to cost. And it was hard, because I really dislike talking about money. And it was also necessary, because I needed to handle overhead and make a living on top of that.

And you should be the same way. You have a ton of fans, you're producing quality product. Maybe not the height of polish, but I've read worse that was published. You are absolutely entitled to stand up and say that you need some form of compensation. If you say "I need this many dollars per month in donations to do this much bonus work," people can either pay it or not. And it's justified for you to do that.
I'd much prefer to let the work speak for itself than nag readers to donate, is all.

Last edited:

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I started reviewing the beginning to see what all I missed that was setup for something later.

Haha, it's so cute back when Taylor cared whether it was too dark to see or not.

I'm starting to agree more and more with the Thinker rating.

I have a question, and it's the sort of question that I am sure ate up a bunch of pages at some point earlier in the threads...

Is Tinker technology actually real? Like when somebody builds an antigravity thing, is that because antigravity is a thing that is physically possible within the universe and the device operates in accord with those principles, or are Tinker machines some kind of ludicrously complicated focus device that someone's Passenger is fiddling with? I ask this because the necessity of Tinkers "maintaining" the gadgets they build so much seemed to imply to me that they might need like a recharge, or refocusing of Passenger attention, or something. And also the fact that they haven't been mass produced, which is mostly in-genre but still weird.

Reveen

Validated User
I figured Tinkers tap into technological knowledge from another universe and the passenger works to power it or bring over a bit of the laws of physics from the other universe because the ones from our quantum bubble can't support the tech.

Like when Armsmaster does his nanomachine thing he's basing it off designs from the Metal Gear universe or some shit where that's actually possible.

Top Bottom