• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapache

Trickster God
Validated User
Herr Arnulfe said:
Super Newf

A Newfoundland trawler fisherman is caught in a radioactive storm caused by aliens. When he returns to shore, he's a superhero. He wears a souwester and raingear, and he can fly. He carries a fishing net which he uses to entangle villains, then pummel them into submission with a radioactive codfish.
That's awfully close to the origin story and powers of Man O' War from Freedom Force, an admittedly silly superhero computer game.

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
JohnnyCanuck said:
My nephew (he's only 14, and he'll grow out of it, thank god!) created this guy for our M&M game last weekend:

PL 10
Powers : Super Speed +10 (with all stunts and extras)
Feats : Extra Limbs, Amphibious, Transformation
Skills : Taunt +11, Nothing Else
Abilities : Int 20, all others slightly above average

Origin: One day while feeding the animals at Marine Land, Robert Jones fell into an irradiated squid tank! These gentle creatures of the depths bonded with him, lending him their incredible abilities. Deciding to use his scathing wit and new abilities for Good, he became....

SQUID-MAN!
What?

That's a cool concept!

*chuckles* Guess it depends on the type of supers game you're running.

Herr Arnulfe

King of the Woods
Validated User
Mapache said:
That's awfully close to the origin story and powers of Man O' War from Freedom Force, an admittedly silly superhero computer game.
I think my concept came first ('87). But, after Googling Freedom Force, I might just have to give it a whirl. Looks cool. ;)

Fidras

Validated User
Hmm. I have a couple.

The Brain in a Peanut Butter Jar.

A good friend of mine had this character for a Heroes Unlimited compaign. It was basically a still-living brain in a peanut butter jar. The kicker is that it was literally a peanut butter jar. Not some sort of advanced life-support system, but grey matter squished into an empty can of Jiffy or somesuch.

I think it had Psychic powers or something.

The Malkavian Traveling Circus.

A Dark Ages game where the Malkavian Chracter was the owner of a traveling circus...but was also all the acts. Split personality taken to the retarded extreme. It looked cool on paper, but the execution was really, really weak.

The Giant Hot Pink Nosferatu what had a Chainsaw

The title is the description.

cappadocius

Banned
Fidras said:

The Giant Hot Pink Nosferatu what had a Chainsaw
Ah, Vampire. The way it redefined role-playing into a shared storytelling experience of modern myths and the exploration of deep and important themes leaves me wobbly-kneed. :p

John Nowak

Validated User
OldKentuckyShark said:
It sounds neat. As an NPC, it would have been neat. That's why it slipped past the DM. Hell, in a higher level party, it might even have worked.
Or if the player had been up to the task of working with you.

Still, I think something quite remarkable happened there. It seems to me it was less "We waxed him because he was a pain in the ass" than it was "we killed him because he scared the hell out of us all." And there's got to be some nugget of gold in there somewhere.

I'm thinking of Carvin' Marvin from Knights of the Dinner Table...

RSC

Retired User
High-powered, action/combat supers game...

Telepath/empath with unaware/uncontroled empathic projection with really good range and power.
And nymphomania.
And the delusion: Freud was right.

She would project her own nymphomaniacal feelings to everyone in the immediate vicinity without knowing she was doing it. Read them back, and assume everyone was as obsessed with sex as her.

I'd probably still have allowed the character if she was in any way useful or appropriate in the stated genre of the game.

Rich Stokes

Validated User
Oh yeah, another one...

It's about 1988, and some pals and I are over at the Irish Club in Dartford for our regular game night. I guess that makes me 14 at the time. Our regular Starwars game had reached haitus and nobody seemed to have anything to run. One guy, I think he was called Chris, suggests that he'd like to run Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and it'd be easy to roll up characters. He pulls out the rulebook and before we know it, we've got character sheets in front of us.

Now, Chris wasn't exactly popular. In fact, I'd go so far as to say we mostly hated this motherfucker. But we were young and had a lot of spare time, so it seemed like a good idea.

He asks us if we want to play different animals or if we all want to play the same kind of critter like in the comic. We like the idea that we'll all play the same animal, so we try to decide what:

Lister: What about Tigers?
Chris: There aren't four tigers in the same place for you to be mutated Tigers
Matt: How about Dogs? We could all be different dogs.
Chris: if you want
Stuckey: Borrrriiiing! What about Lemmings?
Chris: What's a Lemming?
Stuckey [cannot believe that Chris, total Joey that he is, has never heared of a Lemming]: They're like guinnea pigs. They have a really strong pack instinct, so they'd be a really good choice. We could all be telepathic with each other!
Chris: That sounds pretty cool

Everyone else suppresses a laugh and agrees to play a bunch of mutant lemmings

So we sit there and listen to Chris try to explain how the TMNT system works (and for those of you too young to remember, it was a palladium game, which made it basically Rifts but older and worse. it was teh suck). 2 hours and a few hundred die rolls later:

Chris: ... times four equals 36 hit points. Right all done then! So you're all together in your hideout. Do lemmings live underground?
Matt: Not really
Me: How about a warehouse hideout?
Chris: Yeah, that's cool. So you're all in your Warehouse hideout. You hear reports of a series of strange attacks in the cheap part of town. Whachoo gonna do?
[he always said that, "whachoo gonna do", as if it was a talisman to make sure the players knew it was their turn to speak]
Stuckey: Right, we get a cab.
Chris: But you all look like mutant lemmings!
Matt: This is an emergency, we can't take the bus, we haven't got time.
Chris: You can't take the bus either, people will see you!
Lister: Wait, so we have to spend the whole time hiding away?
Chris: Well, no. OK, I suppose you can call a cab. The driver appears to be a bit disturbed by your appearence, but eventually he asks where you want to go. Whachoo gonna do?
Stucky: I say "take us to the tallest building in downtown"
Chris: I see, so you can get a good view of the city? OK he takes you there.
[everyone except Chris, who's too stupid so see what's coming and Stucky, who keeps a totally straight face during this whole thing, tries, desperately not to laugh or fall over]
Stucky: We climb up to the roof. Can we get up there OK?
Chris: Yeah, you get a really good view over the city. Whatchoogonnado?
[Stucky looks around to other players and we all look at him and nod, knowingly]
Players in unison: We jump off the roof!

I think we all did fall off our chairs after that. Then we discussed someone's upcomming MSH game that we ended up playing the next week, which was much more fun.

Last edited:

OldKentuckyShark

Doritos from Japan
Validated User
John Nowak said:
Or if the player had been up to the task of working with you.

Still, I think something quite remarkable happened there. It seems to me it was less "We waxed him because he was a pain in the ass" than it was "we killed him because he scared the hell out of us all." And there's got to be some nugget of gold in there somewhere.
No there doesn't. Trust me.

Because you see, while our characters did toss him because they were simultanously frightened and morally offended by his existence, all the player's agreed that he was a scene-stealing (is it possible to be a scene-stealer if you never actually do anything?) munchkiny pain in the ass.

Though I admit, if he had popped up later as an NPC villain, that would have been super-cool beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom