• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worst. Modules. Ever.

DJChallix

Gygaxian Gen-Xer
Validated User
N2 the Forest Oracle for D&D is one of the worst I've ever ran. I don't know why the NPcs were not singing or joking but the module makes sure I know they are not.

"A group of seven men approaches. They are following the road east, and are making good time, neither tarrying nor running. Their faces are expressionless. One is dressed as a cleric of some sort, and another is dressed as a traveling drummer. The others could be peasants or serfs going from one location to another for the harvest season. Each carries some sort of weapon. It is plain that they are not soldiers by their haphazard way of walking. They do not seem to be joking loudly or singing as they advance. "
I was about to post to this thread with N2! It's just dreadful. It's a railroad, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (the GAMMA WORLD module Famine in Far Go is a railroad, but an awesome one). But The Forest Oracle is a boring railroad and, as you point out, has some truly dreadful flavor text. It stands as the only D&D/AD&D module I have never finished.

DJChallix

Gygaxian Gen-Xer
Validated User
That was basically satire, though.
If it was, we all missed the satire back in the day. We took the module at face value for what it claimed to be: a collection of deadly dungeon traps. It was cool to read, but useless to actually use in play.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
never played nor even it myself, but I heard that "Tale of the Comet" went over poorly for D&D fans (pretty sure that's what that one Dragon Nodwick strip was referring to)

Jinx999

Validated User
The sample adventure in "Nexus the Infinite City" was utter trash. A combination of railroad and PC depowerer that would get any GM kicked from the group.

Chris J

Validated User
Have to admit I'm struggling to get enthused to GM the basic d&d adventure - B1 In Search of the Unknown. B2 looks like a bit of a slog too.

DJChallix

Gygaxian Gen-Xer
Validated User
Have to admit I'm struggling to get enthused to GM the basic d&d adventure - B1 In Search of the Unknown. B2 looks like a bit of a slog too.
B1 is awesome, but requires a lot of work up-front. Many of the rooms are empty and need to be stocked (you probably knew that, though). B2 is a fantastic module but I can see where it might feel like a slog--lots of monster slaying, treasure recovery, and refreshing back at the keep. They are both quintessential old-school dungeon crawls, and are superb examples of such. Highly recommended to kick off an OD&D/BX/AD&D/RC D&D campaign. (y)

Lockjaw

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Regarding Grintootha traps series. I was ten or so when it came out and it seemed pretty clear it was over the top. Maybe the first couple traps seemed plausible if cruel but after a while it was clear you couldn't really use these and the point of it was to just make you laugh at cruel possibilities.

Top Bottom