Worst. Modules. Ever.

Kettlehelm

Validated User
Something Rotten could have been redeemed if Empire in Chaos hadn't dropped the reoccurring elements when it was redone into Empire in Flames. But there is a reason the upcoming Enemy Within for 4th edition is dropping Something Rotten altogether.

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
Giovanni Chronicles IV: Nuova Malattia for Vampire is probably the most awful scenario I have seen.

There are three previous scenarios where you start as humans, are Embraced and become vampires, and you work your way through history and are movers and shakers in major events in the World of Darkness.
I played (and later read) the first part: The Last Supper. And it was a slog. No-one was interested in continuing after the first one. There was no meaningful choice, no agency. Only lots of lines to be read by the ST. The writing was well-done. Daniel Greenberg would be a good novelist, imo. As a game, it's sorely lacking.

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Validated User
My worst had to be a tie: the rod of seven parts, and the axe of the dwarvish lord's. I was mostly a player during the era of 2e

I spent most of my childhood of dnd wandering through the temple of elemental evil. I think our dm rewrote much of it because years later I looked through it and nothing rang a bell.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Have to admit I'm struggling to get enthused to GM the basic d&d adventure - B1 In Search of the Unknown. B2 looks like a bit of a slog too.
You might check out Goodman Games' B1/B2 omnibus, Into the Borderlands. Lots of neat looking updates.

neutrondecay

An Experience
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The final scenario in Hellbound: The Blood War was the first adventure I knew I was never going to try to run. The abyssal fortress where the door has petitioners imprisoned in it was just so gratuitously rigged to make the characters do something both evil and disturbing, and it didn't improve much from there.

nd

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, I've got one. The mini-adventure in Dark Sun's Beyond the Prism Pentad:

Dark Sun is a great setting. But it was a product of the 90's and had a strong metaplot which was driven by powerful NPCs. After a few years of the NPCs driving the world's major events in a series of novels they decided to wrap up the metaplot and re-launch the world with a new boxed set.

The booklet (Beyond the Prism Pentad) that came out just before the re-launch was supposed to wrap things up. It was intended to cover the ultimate confrontation between the NPC heroes and the Big Bad Evil Guy of the setting.

In the mini-adventure included in the book, the PCs run into one of the NPCs who is on her way to that final fight. She offers to let them watch her gear. She then goes off, fights the Big Bad Evil Guy off-screen, then returns and allows the PCs to congratulate her.

The End.

Yes, really.

Goldbee

Validated User
There could be a great comedy adventure in watching Lady Stupenda’s unruly horse.

MacBalance

Validated User
Needless to say, the dungeon is chock full of traps. My friends and I found it hilarious how few of the traps would actually work, given that the authors clearly have no knowledge of physics.
I feel like an obvious conclusion to this train of though is how the traps remain functional thousands of years later...

Heh... I read (at least one of) those novels. If Midnight had any adventuring-party-like companions along with her, I don't remember them. Guess they weren't important :p

She did. I enjoyed the novels, even if they're not great literature. The problem, as I understand, is doing the 'multimedia project' was so new and TSR did it badly, so the adventures were not-good from every review I've heard.

The novels started out interesting: Midnight actually has some hints of a backstory! Not a lot, but I'd believe she was a character in a previous novel if someone said she was. The same with her main companions, Khelemvor, Cyric, and The Cleric. (Adon... I had to look it up. He also loses out as everyone else gets godhood, he gets to be a cleric to a woman he used to hit on until she found a boyfriend.) They're all given some backstory: Khelemvor and Cyric got tied into the Forgotten Realms lore of the artifact "The Ring of Winter" and there's a story with Adon and Khelemvor having just solved a big mystery that feeds into the story.

It has some stupid bits (the guys apparently are locked into a contract to be guards and have to sneak out) but I've never been that knowledgable with the region of the Forgotten Realms it's set in where 'Adventurer' seems to be a protected title with legal attachments.

They're not amazing, but they're amusing enough books. I even enjoyed the follow-ups, mainly because they let Troy Denning get weird with them, which I think he's good at.

I always wondered if those modules could be salvaged. Remove Midnight, prob a lot of the other NPCs as well. Run it with the PCs in the starring roles and the chance to fix the Time of Troubles/become gods.
I kind of lean the other way: The 'Event' of this series is certainly salvageable. Use adventures to detail the Time of Troubles as it impacts other regions. The novel characters can't have been the only ones doing things. Saving a town from destruction might not be as remarkable as ascending to godhood, but it's important and rewarding. Plus we only saw a half dozen or so Powers during the ToT novels and a few more in later books. Maybe the Dwarven gods did something interesting while forced into mortal form. Or Chauntea, who probably hung out in the Moonshaes or similar, perhaps. Maybe the Halfling deities.

They also did a much later adventure module, something like For Duty and Diety, that covered what happened to one Power during this event. I think it came out at about a decade after the event!

Caias Ward

Validated User
Oh, I've got one. The mini-adventure in Dark Sun's Beyond the Prism Pentad:

Dark Sun is a great setting. But it was a product of the 90's and had a strong metaplot which was driven by powerful NPCs. After a few years of the NPCs driving the world's major events in a series of novels they decided to wrap up the metaplot and re-launch the world with a new boxed set.

The booklet (Beyond the Prism Pentad) that came out just before the re-launch was supposed to wrap things up. It was intended to cover the ultimate confrontation between the NPC heroes and the Big Bad Evil Guy of the setting.

In the mini-adventure included in the book, the PCs run into one of the NPCs who is on her way to that final fight. She offers to let them watch her gear. She then goes off, fights the Big Bad Evil Guy off-screen, then returns and allows the PCs to congratulate her.

The End.

Yes, really.
I just looked at the adventure. It's nowhere near as bad as that. The PCs end up rescuing the NPC who can finish trapping the BBEG from one of his powerful minions. So I mean, yes, Metaplot, but the PCs are actually doing something important.

Top Bottom